0 comments

Fiction Transgender Drama

     The sun was shining, the birds were chirping outside, and there wasn’t a single cloud in sight. A perfect day for Lukas to spend his time in the woods outside his home, cataloging the wild creatures that inhabited the place.

     If it weren’t for the fact that all his plans were ruined the moment he opened his eyes…

     …and was greeted by a pair of sky blue eyes and an obnoxious, goofy smile.

     Lukas heaved a long sigh, pushing the face hovering over his bed away and sitting up. Why did it always have to be the times when he was busy that the idiots came knocking at his door? Or in this case, hovering over his bed while he was still asleep.

     “Good mornin’, Lukas!” The intruder proclaimed loudly, blissfully unaware of the fate that would befall him at the end of the day for this breach of privacy. “I woke up this morning, and thought, hey, today’s a great day to go into the city and just, you know, hang out! So what do you think?”

     “It’s 6 in the morning and you live 3 hours away from my house, Mat,” Lukas sighed, getting out of bed and ignoring the bouncing idiot next to his bedside cabinet. “There’s no way you could have gotten here this fast…you know what, I’m not going to even question your logic.” The world was always logical and had an understandable reason for everything, except when it came to anything about Mat.

     “Oh come on! It’ll be fun! More fun than your usual ‘animal watching’ and fairy hunting,’” Mat exclaimed, earning a death glare from Lukas.

     “I was looking for moths, you dolt.” Lukas said with rapidly thinning patience. Just as Mat was about to respond, he slammed the door to his walk-in closet, and changed into a set of day clothes. When he opened the door again…

     One moment he was standing in his room, and the next he was in Mat’s heavily disorganized car, rock songs blasting at full volume from the radio.

     “Now I know better than to let you hold a conversation with me when I ask you about something, so I act instead of talk! Copenhagen, here we come!” Mat announced boldly. 

     “I’m surprised you have enough brains to figure that out.” Lukas deadpanned, as the car started speeding down the road at 90 mph. Lukas was lucky that he lived in a rural area, or else someone or something would definitely have gotten injured by then. Most likely a house or a lamppost.

     “Haha, you’re such a joker, Lukas!” Mat laughed. “This car is going too slow. Let’s speed things up!”

     “You’re driving at 100 mph…” Lukas pointed out, but Mat had already poured some weird purple liquid into the motor, and suddenly they were in Copenhagen.

     “And that’s how I get to your house that quickly in the mornings!” Mat grinned cockily. Lukas facepalmed and let out a long sigh.

     “Just try not to get us both arrested this time, okay?” He muttered, not like Mat heard him anyways.

     The streets of Copenhagen weren’t exactly full of people at 6 in the morning, but Mat’s hyper excitement could be mistaken for that of five dozen people, as he dashed literally to the other side of the city at an inhumane speed, dragging Lukas behind. 

     “Now, where should we get breakfast?” Mat grinned as they finally slowed down in front of a bakery.

     “You just brought us over to a bakery. I assume you actually have a reason for dragging me halfway across the city at a speed so fast that it would make a normal person puke all over the place by now?” Lukas pointed out monotonously. “We could have just rented a bike, you know.”

     “But this way is so much cooler!” Mat whined. “Now, let’s get some food? What do you want? Bagel? Ooh, yes! I’ll get it for you!” Mat turned into a blur of food as he raced inside the shop, grabbed their food items, paid for them, and came back out…all in the matter of seconds.

     “Here you go!” He chirped, dropping a paper bag of food in Lukas’s hands. He wearily opened the bag, pulling out a blueberry bagel, some grape jam, and…a bottle of milk tea.

     Lukas’s eyebrow twitched.

     “Mat, where is my coffee?” Lukas seethed, anger dripping out of every word.

     “Well, you know, I thought it might be a good idea to switch things up a bit! Try tea instead of coffee for once!” Mat laughed nervously. If there was one thing that he should have definitely known(after the Tea and Coffee Incident two years ago), it was to never forget about Lukas’s morning coffee when ordering food.

     “Mat.” Lukas popped a vein. “Do not play with me.”

     “Tina made me do it!” Mat cried at the top of his lungs. “She said it would be a fun prank idea!”

     “Matilda Ardens, you will get inside that bakery, buy me a cup of coffee, or we will have a repeat of the Tea and Coffee Incident two years ago.” Lukas shouted, a rare flicker of true anger slipping out. “Plus, Tina knows very well not to mess with my coffee.” There was no wrath worse than a Lukas without his morning coffee.

     “YES I WILL, PLEASE DON’T KILL MEEEE!” Mat screamed, dashing inside the shop and coming out with a cup of coffee. “There! Now take it, and please let me live!!”

     Lukas eyed the cup of coffee suspiciously, as if seeing if it were really coffee or not. “Even you’re not dumb enough to face my wrath without coffee…unless someone blackmailed you into doing so.”

     “Uh, society is at fault! I’m young and impressionable! …Video games made me do it! PLEASE DON’T MURDER MEEEEE!” Mat screamed in terror.

     Lukas’s face fell into his hands. “I can’t believe it…you really are that stupid…”

     Maybe that rare burst of anger would be enough to convince Mat to let him go home?

     Nope.

     Lukas might’ve decided not to Mat right then, but that said nothing for his fate at the end of the day.

July 27, 2021 21:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.