It's Not As Bad As You Think, Is It?

Submitted into Contest #184 in response to: Set your story during a complete city or nation-wide blackout.... view prompt

2 comments

Suspense Funny Thriller

Nothing was off, all and all it was the most normal day then the blackout came. You think this would be enough reason for total insanity across the whole fucking globe right? Well you would be surprised by that. Sure some stupid folk acted all crazy like as if everything was going to end and got themselves killed in the end but they were stupid so it was kinda in their job description to act like that. Not to say that all stupid people deserve to die, the world needs stupid people otherwise no one would read terribly written stuff like this. I apologize I don’t mean to insult you or to imply that you are stupid. (I know you are and that’s okay) It’s just been quite lonely here.

When was the last time I talked to another human being? Where there even other human beings out there anymore? Didn’t know, didn’t matter cause I sure as shit wasn’t gonna leave the bunker to find out.

About the blackout. Yeah look I mean a lot of things stopped working, cause we just got so used to living with electricity and everything it powered, it was bound to happen. Don’t get me wrong this message isn’t some sort of call to action wanting all electricity to be gone forever. Like I’m not some sort of Amish fella, nothing against those folk but if I had the option to have technology back….. Not sure if I would take it or not. Like having no electricity sucks donkey balls. Can’t watch my favorite tv shows anymore.

Who killed Laura Palmer? I didn’t know cause the fucking power went out. So yeah it sucks. Want to know the reason why everything went down?

No you don’t want to hear the reason, you only think you wanna hear the reason but you don’t actually want to hear the reason. It is the age old problem you see. Don’t question me, I’m old now I know stuff, not everything but some stuff I know. Before you stands a mysterious door. Your curiosity increases in scale the longer you stare at the bloody door, this is normal information and old bloke knows about. Now choice one is that you could continue to stare at this mystery door. You will never find out what is behind it, could even drive you into insanity itself. But at the same time you would be left with unanswered mystery there is nothing more beautiful then the mystery which is never solved because you can spend endless amount of time thinking off a solution.

Now you could throw all of that right into the garbage suite and rush head first through the door. Yeah you would get your answer but the mystery will be lost… Kinda like a double edged sword. Isn’t every sword double edged? But what the hell did I know? Just an old crazy guy in a bunker with no power. Speaking about the bunker and how I acquired it… Actually no I don’t want to discuss how I came to be in possession of this bunker or who I had to kill for it. Stop I’ve already said too much, like I already said it is better to have some unsolved mysteries then to have all the answers. Try to keep up with what I’m telling you here and we will all be better because of it.

Back when we had electricity there was never really a moment of quietness in my life. Sure I used to live in the middle of this enormous city with skyscrapers which went above the clouds, no buildings should ever be higher then the clouds itself, just cause you could do something didn’t mean you needed to do it. I really hated the cities, really hated all the loud noises. Not to keep repeating myself but the city was just too much, felt like I couldn’t even breath upstairs. Funny how I can actually breath down in this bunker. Could I have just gone down into the bunker while everything was still normal upstairs? Sure of course I could have done that, yeah I really could have just done that. But man I never claimed to be a smart fella did I? Still it all turned all right in the end. At least I like to think so. Sure some other folk would disagree with that statement but that is what other folk always do so it was alright.

Don’t know who turned off the power, don’t know who decided not to turn the power back on and quite honestly I could not care less. Things were so much different then they were before. There were some days where I could barely even remember what it was like before.  

All in all things aren’t as bad as you think. Even without power the world will be just fine. We survived thousands of years without power. We’ll be just alright. So if you’re out there and struggling to find the good stuff, doubting it’s even there. Trust me. And more importantly trust yourself. There is always something good out there, even if you think it’s not there. You just can’t see it yet cause it’s over the horizon.  

Anyway I lied about not leaving the bunker…. There is one reason for me to leave the bunker and it has to do with something trying to get in for a long time. Well tonight is the day, I’ve had enough and will stand my ground defending the little home that I build for myself.

Got myself a Sasquatch to kill.

P.S.

To whoever finds this note. Would you kindly not bitch about finding grammatical errors cause it’s dark as shit here, you know cause of the fucking power outage. Anyway cheers, have a great life! Or don’t! I really could not give less shit about you or what you plan to do cause all my attention is on fucking killing this fucking Sasquatch once and for all.

P.P.S

Sasquatch if you’re reading this…. Fuck you.

February 04, 2023 00:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Hello, you are part of my writing circle from reedsy! I liked the tone of your story, especially the perspective we got from the main character, and his view of the situation. The main character has a lot of potential, however, we don't get to see much about him other than his reaction to the situation. If I was to change one thing in edits about the story, I would remove some of the repetitive parts to add a bit of sensory perception or action he experiences. Such as describing the feeling of the bunker, the way it smells, if it is dusty ...

Reply

Samael Lynch
22:22 Feb 15, 2023

Hello there! Thank you so much! And yeah looking on my story I agree with you that I could've used more words to talk about what the bunker was like. I'll definitely write another draft before it goes into my short story collection. I'll check your story out now!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.