From Sitter to Roommate

Submitted into Contest #53 in response to: Write a story that begins with someone's popsicle melting.... view prompt

3 comments

General

Ivan is sitting on his back porch. He licked at his popsicle he grabbed from the freezer. It was getting hotter out and his cold treat was melting at a fast rate. He was currently watching his sister’s dogs for a couple of weeks. She had a business trip and Ivan was always the one to watch them while she was away. Kup and Rodimus were in the backyard playing. Kup was laying down like the old dog he was and watched Rodimus run around with his little puppy energy. His little sister Camila always loved ‘Transformers’ since the series from the 80’s. It was no surprise to Ivan when she named her dogs after some of her favorite characters. 

Then there was a knock on the back door pulling Ivan, Kup, and Rodimus’ attention. Rodimus bolted for the door when he saw Camila smiling. She was home early. She never came home early without calling. The closer he got to the door he could see Camila’s tired and sad features. Something was wrong.

“Stay out here with Kup.” He told Rodimus as he pushed the pup with his foot. “Kup, come and get him and make sure he doesn’t squeeze through the fence.” Ivan called out to the older dog.

Kup got up and grabbed Rodimus by the scruff. Rodimus fought but Kup had a good hold on him.

Ivan quickly stepped into the house. He went straight to his sister.

“What’s wrong?” He asked her as he bit off a piece of his popsicle.

“How much of your lease is left?” She asked me.

“Why?” He answered with a question.

“Cuz, I need you to live here.” She admitted.

“Why?” He asked again.

Tears started to collect in her eyes. She obviously had something to say. He could feel the popsicle melting into the napkin he held it with.

“I passed out during the meeting. They brought me to the ER then I got diagnosed with…” She stopped.

She began to choke on her words. She just couldn’t bring herself to finish the sentence. Ivan kept eye contact. Worry evident in his brown orbs. The popsicle in his hand forgotten and melting.

“I-I-I h-h-av-ve st-tag-g-ge 3 p-pancrea-at-t-tic c-cancer-r.” She sobbed.

Ivan dropped his melted popsicle. They could worry about the mess on the floor later. His sister needed him. He needed to hold her in his arms. He pulled her into his chest where she sobbed her frustrations and apologized to Ivan.

Ivan just whispered reassuring words into her hair. Promising that they were going to get through it. Promising to take care of her. He kept his tears back for Camila’s sake. He needed to be strong for his big sister. She was always he strength when he needed it. The least he could do was be strong for her like she always was for him.

As Camila cried their attention was brought to her whining and barking babies in the backyard. Kup was trying to open the door while Rodimus was trying to push himself through the glass of the sliding door. Ivan picked up Camila and brought her outside. Kup snuggled as close as he could while Rodimus tried to climb over him to get to Camila.

“I’ll be where you need me to be.” Ivan guaranteed Camila.

He’ll just talk to his landlord about it. They were pretty understanding when it came to Ivan. He was a pleasant tenant who never gave them trouble.

Ivan held Camila close as Kup and Rodimus cuddled into them. Rodimus then started to sniff and found himself at Ivan’s hand. He started to lick at Ivan’s sticky hand. Then Ivan remembered the popsicle that was most likely a melted sticky puddle on the kitchen tile. He looked through the sliding door to see that he was right.

It has been about half a month since Camila came home with her terrible news. Ivan moved in the next day. Camila started treatment a week later. She was normally at the hospital due to her condition worsening. Ivan hated feeling helpless as he watched his sister lay in a hospital bed or get chemotherapy. She didn’t want Kup and Rodimus to be home by themselves so she insisted that Ivan spend more time with them.

He followed her wishes though he knew why she insisted. She didn’t want him to see her in her current state. She always showed the best of herself to Ivan. She wanted to be a role model Ivan would be proud of. Ivan, on the other hand, was conflicted. He wanted to be there to support his sister, but he felt his resolve to stay together was slipping. He wanted to break down. He couldn’t look at her without that desire growing. He didn’t know what to do.

The dogs were not fairing any better. They were getting depressed even though they had each other. They were at the point where they refused to eat unless Ivan was there to encourage them. He had to hand feed them at times or he would need to eat with them. He had to drag them – along with himself – out of the house. It was taking a toll on all of them, but Ivan refused to give in.

He thought it was a good idea to drag them to a pet store to grab some more food and maybe a few new toys. Then again, he had a feeling they wouldn’t be interested.

When they got to the pet store, they were slow in getting down from the car. Normally Rodimus would take off in a sprint into the building while Kup dashed after to scoop him up. Rodimus didn’t even want to leave the car. Kup had to snatch him up by the scruff after Ivan pleaded with them to follow him.

When they got to the entrance Ivan took Rodimus from Kup and placed him in a cart. Kup stood on his hind legs and put his front paws on the cart. Ivan knew exactly what he wanted. He picked Kup up and placed him in the cart with Rodimus who immediately attached himself to Kup.

Ivan let out a sigh before pushing the cart inside. There had to be something to help them perk up a bit in the store. He could only hope. Ivan parked the cart next to the can of wet food. He was examining the different flavors and brands. They seemed to give up on chewing the dry food more recently. He wanted to get them some wet food to take the effort out of chewing. Camila would probably get worse if she finds out her pups aren’t eating.

As he studied the shelf, Ivan felt something brush the back of his legs.

“Brownie, this is not the time to be nosy.” Someone whispered with a scolding tone.

When Ivan turned, he locked eyes with a woman who gave him a crooked smile. She was holding a leash. He followed the leash to a huge dog who was inching to his cart. He watched the dog slowly advance towards Kup and Rodimus. It let out a whine which got Kup’s attention. The gigantic brown dog pushed their muzzle up to the cart. Kup was still as he looked at the strange dog. Then he surprised Ivan and pushed his nose to the side of the cart where the other dog put their nose. The dog stopped whining and nobody moved.

Ivan was busy looking at the scene in front of him with widened eyes. Kup wasn’t one to interact with other dogs since Rodimus joined the family. He was always protective of the little pup so he distances himself from other dogs. Camila’s diagnosis leeched the energy out of him so instead of growling at other dogs who got close, he just ignored them.

“I’m so sorry.” The woman apologized in a hushed tone.

“Nothing to be sorry about.” Ivan reassured. “He never acts like this.” Ivan admits.

“I guess that’s just my girl’s charm. Brownie is too nosy for her own good but she has the best intentions.” She shared as she watched the dogs with a fond look. “I’m Yura by the way.” She introduced herself.

“I’m Ivan. I guess she is just as sweet as her name. The bigger one is Kup and the pup at his chest is Rodimus.” He returned.

“I love the reference. The 80’s movie was better than the newer movies. Sure, they were more modern but the 80’s one is a classic.” She said with an appreciative smirk.

“My sister would strongly agree.” Ivan chortled as he imagined his sister's big smile when people get the reference.

They were silent as Brownie and Kup continued to stare at each other. Nobody dared to make a noise or move. Even Rodimus eventually got curious of Brownie. He pawed the side of the cart where Brownie’s nose was.

“I’m sorry for overstepping, feel free to tell me to leave.” Yura started.

Ivan waited for the rest of what she wanted to say.

“Are they normally like this?” She asked as she nodded to Kup and Rodimus.

“No. We’re just dealing with a couple of things.” He honestly answered.

“Oh well it’s good you are still getting out.” She commended. “If you ever need a little help, you could give this number a call.” She offered as she held out a business card. “That’s my personal number on the back.” She included.

Ivan didn’t know how to react. He didn’t really have the energy. He tried to muster a smile. It was small but it was all he could bring to the table. He didn’t like pity, but for some reason he didn’t sense pity from her. She just gave him a small yet warm smile. He felt like he could trust her. Something was wrong with him.

“Thank you.” He genuinely thanked her.

“No worries. Sometimes I would need help to leave my house. It can get difficult. Help can go a long way.” She said.

Ivan wasn’t put off a bit. He actually believed her words. It was clear she meant every word. He just hoped that she didn’t go through the same thing he was going through. He wouldn’t even wish this feeling on is worst enemies.

After grabbing what they needed Brownie didn’t leave the cart. This kept Yura close to the cart as well. When she followed Ivan to his car, Brownie was whining and Kup refused to get in the car.

“Do you have anything to do after this?” Yura asked.

“Not really.” Ivan replied.

“Then how about going to the park? The park we go to isn’t too far.” She suggests and points in a direction.

“Isn’t the dog park in the opposite direction?” Ivan asked as he picked Kup up from the cart and placed him down.

“We don’t go to the dog park. Some of them like to pick on Brownie so I play with her at the park next to the school.” Yura explains.

“Why do they pick on her?” Ivan asked as he took Rodimus out of the cart.

Ivan just met them, but from what he saw of Brownie, he was convinced that she was a sweet dog exactly like her name. She was patient and considerate as she approached Kup and Rodimus. How could someone or some dog not like her?

As he placed Rodimus down he trotted to Brownie. He was sniffing at her front legs. Then Ivan noticed it. She only had one. Instead of pawing at Rodimus like Kup would she nuzzled him. They playfully nipped at each other. Rodimus let out a happy yip as his energy returned.

“Would you mind if I recorded?” Ivan asked.

Yura nodded in approval and watched Ivan take out his phone. It was one thing for Rodimus to act more like himself, but he thought it would give Camila the energy she needed as well.

When they got to the park Rodimus seemed more energetic. He was waiting for Ivan to open the door. He didn’t jump out when Ivan opened the door like he would when he was excited but he was inching towards the edge of the seat. Kup scoops Rodimus up and jumps down from the car seat. Ivan closes the door and sees Brownie and Yura.

Kup makes his way to Brownie who nuzzled a cutely yipping Rodimus. Brownie starts off towards a tree in the park. Yura follows and waves for Ivan to follow. When Brownie gets to the tree she lowers her body to the grass. Kup follows her and places Rodimus down in front of her. The little puppy gets closer and finds a snug little spot in her thick and long fur. Kup lays next to Brownie. He nestles his head in Brownie’s neck. 

“Well this is new.” Yura said in amazement.

“No kidding.” Ivan agreed.

“I brought a blanket for us to sit on.” She told Ivan while raising the blanket.

“Sounds good.” He accepted.

He followed her to a spot next to the three cuddle buddies. He helped her spread the blanket out before sitting down. Yura laid down while Ivan continued to sit. He took his phone out to send the video and a picture to Camila. He took a picture of Brownie, Kup, and Rodimus in their little pile. He hit the send icon and laid down beside Camila.

“So how long have you had Kup and Rodimus?” Yura questioned.

“My sister got Kup when he was a puppy about 6 years ago and Rodi is nearing a year.” Ivan answered.

“No wonder why Kup is so protective, he’s only a puppy.” Yura laughed. “Their relationship is adorable.” She complimented.

“How long have you had Brownie?” Ivan returned the question.

“I met Brownie a year ago, I don’t know how old she is because she was a rescue.” Yura recalled.

“Wow, she’s so behaved.” Ivan expressed.

“Yup, but sometimes she can be a big brat.” Yura chuckled.

“Rodi is like that. He can also be a bit of a trouble maker, but Kup is always right there ready to save him.” Ivan described. “One day my sister took away his toy because he bit her and he planted himself in a corner of the house and refused to move. She kept apologizing and tried to coax him out of the corner but only met failure. Then Kup went over to the corner grabbed him by the scruff and dropped him in front of Camila with a scolding bark and growl. He ran to Camila and cuddled into her and they never had any other problems. Kup has always been there to keep him in line and out of trouble.” Ivan told.

“That’s incredible. I hear a lot of those stories of the older dog training the younger one. It makes me want to adopt another dog to keep Brownie company but as things are, I don’t think I will able to take two dogs everywhere, let alone a puppy.” Yura voiced.

Ivan looked at her with a cocked eyebrow.

“Oh, Brownie is actually my emotional support dog. I get anxious about spending money. I would have panic attacks from buying a fancy coffee. It got easier the past year with Brownie. She reminds me to breathe and will stop me from trying to return things.” Yura explained

“Wow, that’s incredible.” Ivan said in awe.

Then he got an idea. 

“Do you think I could get Kup or even Rodi trained to be a service dog?” He asked.

“I don’t see why not.” Yura answered.

Yura was hesitant with her next question, but found the courage to ask.

“Mind if I ask the reason?” Yura inquired.

“Not at all.” Ivan ensured.

Ivan was hesitant on sharing. It’s not that he didn’t want to tell Yura, but it still hurt to face reality. Then again, he is going to have to face it. He couldn’t run away forever.

“My sister got diagnosed with cancer less than a month ago. Her condition worsened quickly and had to be hospitalized. When she left they got depressed and I know she misses them too. If they were to become service animals then they would be able to at least visit her and comfort her when she needs it the most.” He told her with tears threatening to spill from his eyes.

“I’m sorry about your sister.” Yura extended her condolences as she handed him a tissue.

He sat up and accepted the tissue with a grateful nod. She gives him a sympathetic smile as he wipes his eyes. Before he could say another word, he felt something on his knee and something squirm on his lap. When he looked down, he saw Kup’s head on his knee while he looked up. Rodimus was fidgeting in his lap while trying to offer Ivan comfort.

“That’s actually a great idea. I’m friends with a trainer. Why don’t we grab some food and I’ll show you his company?” She proposed.

“That actually sounds great. The food is on me, as a thank you.” He stated.

She agreed with a dazzling smile. The brightness influenced a smile to appear on Ivan's face. 

They gathered the dogs and the blanket and headed to their cars. With a promise to meet up for food at a food truck they will start to frequent together from now on.

August 06, 2020 23:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Amany Sayed
00:03 Aug 07, 2020

This was a wonderful story Rawnalynn! About halfway through the story, you switch tenses, which makes it kind of confusing. However, other than that, it's creative and well written. Great job and keep writing! PS. Love your profile photo :) P.P.S. Recently submitted a new story and would be grateful if in your free time you could check it out and leave your views on it

Reply

Rawn A Lynn
01:50 Aug 07, 2020

Thank you so much! I appreciate you pointing that out. Thanks again!

Reply

Amany Sayed
01:59 Aug 07, 2020

Any time!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.