Moon over Mexico

Written in response to: Write about someone giving or receiving a gift.... view prompt

0 comments

Horror Suspense

It was a bright humid day in the early dawn of morning, the sun pierced through the windows of David's 1979 Ford F-150, displaying a fusion of blues and orange cloudy skies. His father Stanley sat on the passenger side resting his elbow outside of the window while his 11-year-old son, Jamie played games on his tablet.

They headed to Baja California for a daytrip in search of the winery David had once ventured to with his coworkers. Jamie was as energetic and antsy as a boy his age would be, he turned his whole body around kneeling on the elongated bench seat. He slid open the window in the rear to allow in the aromatic smells of the local street foods. He pointed at every taco stand they passed and begged his dad to stop.

"Please, please, please, dad! That table had Horchata!"

"Hold off Jamie, we're going somewhere to eat soon"

The smell of carne asada and burnt charcoal overwhelmed their senses through the open window. Stanley removed his Veteran's baseball cap embroidered in his service commemorations to wipe the sweat from his forehead. He relaxed and watched the architecture of the suburban houses blur by, they were adobe style brick homes with cacti and 18th-century Spanish style housing.

Stanley grunted and pulled out a small metallic flask with his Army insignia for a quick swig. "Where is this place anyways, David. It's hotter than a pepper sprout out here."

"Just hold on a second, pop. I think we're close, I recognize some of these streets"

David continued on driving to miles of unpaved dirt roads with the view of the ocean a short distance away. It all looked uninhabited and started to look unfamiliar to him.

"Looks like we're in the middle of nowhere, son but as long as we can make a stop before heading home..."

Jamie grew bored and worked the radio station turning the knob to static sounds then found reception in an eerie song with a melancholy drum rhythm and soft chanting in Spanish. 

"Esto es el fin, amigo hermoso

Esto es el fin, amigo hermoso

Dejemos estas tierras desesperadas

Este mundo moderno se acaba

Esto es el fin, amigo hermoso

Esto es el fin, amigo hermoso"

"Turn that shit off, boy!" barked Stanley.

"Hey come on dad, simmer down a little bit. I know you're frustrated but I'm trying to concentrate here. Jamie, please keep it quiet a bit until we get to the restaurant. We'll be there soon. Don't pay any mind to your Grandpa."

Jamie turned the radio off and glanced back outside of the rear window.  

"So, what exactly was wrong with the vineyards in Riverside County again?

"Dad, we do that trip every year, besides this place has really good food and fireworks at night, Jamie is going to love it. Trust me you might actually have a good time too. I'll get you some Cubans to chomp on while you're there".

Jamie tapped on his Dad's shoulder. "Dad..."

"...They even have really affordable aged Cabernet Sauvignon.."

"Dad."

"Jamie, I'm talking."

"Dad! Watch out!"

David slammed the break and the pickup truck glided a few inches on the gravel beneath.

Several men with face paint were walking down the middle of the road carrying burlap sacks and dressed in strange clothing. David's heartbeat raced from the sudden jolt while his father Stanley was more visually displeased grinding his teeth.

"Hey!" he barked poking his head outside of the window. "Get off the road! Are you three stupid or have a death wish?"

The three men stared back at each other and carried on, continuing to their path. They had a very serious demeanor holding back their annoyance with Stanley's reaction. They walked through the yellow hills of tall dried up feather grass towards the ocean. One of them wore a long dark robe that picked up the dirt in the ends from dragging it across the floor.

"Idiots" mumbled Stanley watching them walk off and disappear into the hills. 

"Dad, I don't think it was entirely their fault there"

"They could have waited. They're not blind".

Jamie stood quiet sitting in the center of them. "Dad, what was on their faces?" 

David continued on driving more cautiously. "I don't know, Jamie"

He headed further a mile more to a dead-end of the street that lead to a small quiet neighborhood. He parked on the side and pulled out his phone but had no reception.

"Now what" grunted Stanley.

"Now we're shit out of luck, dad. I don't know what is going on with my GPS or this stupid phone and I'm losing my patience. We're going to have to turn back..."

They continued on following the same dirt roads and approached a small building with a man grilling outside in a food stand under a shaded tree. There were some tables and chairs besides them with bowls of green and red salsa aligned with other condiments and toppings.

"Whose hungry?"

"Oh me me me me me!" hopped Jamie from his seat. His eyes gleaming in excitement. "Grandpa, aren't you hungry too?" Jamie asked. 

"Yes Jamie, let's fill these bellies up."

The sign on the outside read the types of meat they served: Shrimp, Fish, Chicken, Grilled Steak, Marinated Pork and Cow tongue.

"This place looks good" said David taking a whiff of the delicious types of meat. 

"Dad, I want an Horchata too!" yelled Jamie.

"I'm throwing in the towel. Let's grub you guys. Been salivating for too long on the road. I know your stomachs been talking, Jamie".

The three of them get out of the pickup, Grandpa Stanley sat on the bench outside with Jamie while David walked up to the cashier to order. 

"Hola. Tienen Horchata?"

"No, perdón. Nomas tenemos soda, agua y jugito de tamarindo"

"Oh... Si. Si. Tres cokes, porfavor." David tucked the thumb on his right hand to show him the amount he wanted. "And nine tacos, porfavor"

He paid and walked over to join the two sitting on the bench.

"Dad, what's "All Pastor"?"

"Good question Jamie. How about we order one for Grandpa and let him test it out. He'll be our Guinea pig".

"Real funny, I'm not eating Goddang dog meat" grumbled Stanley.

Jamie looked back at his dad with his eyes wide and his mouth agape. David just smiled and rolled his eyes to Jamie affirming him that Grandpa was clearly joking.  

Whike David and Stanley chatted while they waited for the food, Jamie locked eyes on a smooth pebble by the ground and an empty Coke glass bottle a few feet away, a temptation he couldn't resist. He quickly grabbed it in hopes of breaking it but missed. He looked for another pebble to try again. 

"Don't run off too far, Jamie. Foods gonna be ready soon".

A curious skinny mutt with swelling teats wandered close sniffing Jamie's shoes.

"Dad, look I found a dog!"

"Hey, Jamie stay close. 

"Nueve tacos!'

"Dad please keep an eye on him while I get the food."

The sweet Mutt finally barked and ran off down towards the grassy hills while Jamie took an interest in her and trailed right behind. Stanley got up from his table and noticed Jamie was no longer in his line of vision heading around the building. He hastily walked over to where the hill dipped down still struggling to keep up with Jamie chasing the dog.

"Jamie, slow your roll" he yelled. He took notice of a strong odor coming from over the hill, something burning in the distance. He heard Jamie's laughter coming from that direction too.

"Jamie, get your ass back here!" he yelled again.

"Grandpa, I found something!".

Stanley approached the sound where Jamie was seen standing there and looking towards the direction of the dog.

"Jamie?"

Stanley walked further and discovered the two men from before sitting legs crossed around a bonfire with several other men. The man in the dark robe had his face now painted in a dark red mask. The man stood besides a large object hoisted up with tight ropes over the flames. The strong odor of sulfur became stronger and overwhelmed Stanley's senses. He began to cough and scrunched his nose.

Then the object hanging from the rope turned clockwise when Stanley could finally make out what it was. 

"What the fuck! Jamie come here, now!" Stanley pulled Jamie by the hand not before locking eyes with the man in the robe while he fled with Jamie.

The sounds of synchronized chants began to echo through the hills with haunting whispers that were loud enough to be heard at a distance. 

"Esto es el fin, amigo hermoso"

"Esto es el fin, amigo hermoso"

"Esto es el fin, amigo hermoso"

"Esto es el fin, amigo hermoso"

They continued murmuring, while Stanley walked as fast as he could tugging on Jamie's arm. The dog began to bark loudly adding to the tension. Stanley and Jamie were met by David annoyed sitting with the plates of food on the table.

"Where the hell were you guys?"

"Quick!" Stanley took deep breaths and struggled to breath.

David got up and walked over to Jamie. "Dad, you're scaring me, what's wrong?"

"Just shut up and start the car. Now!"

Jamie began to whimper and shake when David help him. 

He quickly opened the door of the old Ford and placed Jamie in the middle. He ran across to his seat while Stanley got in and shut the door. David turned the key in the ignition while he could see the tops of the heads of the men emerging from beneath the hills.

He turned the key once more but the starter did not engage.

"David!?"

"Stupid hunk of junk"

Several of men approached near the vehicle hastily when it decided to finally crank. David hauled out spitting the gravel out from the back tires causing a smoke of dust in its place. He sped away but could make out the three men in facepaint grab the poor vendor from staring through the rear mirror. He watched one of them pull a large knife out and hold it to his neck.

David gulped down his bile but there was nothing in his stomach to throw up. Just a burning sensation from his stomach acid that he nurtured in his throat trying to resist throwing it up.

"Oh god...Oh my god..." He continued speeding uncoordinated with his hands shaking barely gripping the steering wheel. "I think they just..."

"David! Careful. Watch the road!" yelled Stanley.

After a few miles into the long stretch of desolation, the day began getting dark and the road and the sky became indistinguishable. There were no street lights in the vicinity only their headlamps helped guide them through the valley and the piercing full moon watched over them like a deity in the sky.

David pulled over on the side of the road.

"What are you doing?"

"I- I gotta call Maria and let her know what's going on".

"Nows not the time, son"

"I gotta call my wife!" David grabbed his phone and dialed the keys. "Hello, noone is available to take your call. Please leave your message after the tone".

"Sonuva-" David quickly pleaded into the speakers. "Maria, I need you to call me right away, Ok!? Look I don't want you to worry but we're in some trouble here, Jamie and my dad are safe but. Can you text me the address to your cousins house?"

The dial tone ended the call. Then a sound of something heavy landing in the field of grass not a few yards away.

Jamie pointed at a field of horizontal red flames in the distance blocking the roads.

"Oh my god, what now?!"

David gulped the saliva in his mouth. "What do we do here dad, I don't know if going back is an option. They would most likely be following us" David looked around his surrounding area and knew from the elevation they were stuck between the side of a valley and drifting offroad could prove fatal. 

Stanley opened the door of the vehicle and walked to the rear. He unlocked the storagebox and pulled out something from inside.  

He carried it back inside the car. He turned it sideways to show David. It was a Colt .45 with a custom ivory handle displaying the Coat of Arms, a brown eagle perched on a cactus devouring a serpent in his beak. The other side had a bald eagle baring the red, white and blue flag. 

"You brought a gun to Mexico!? Are you nuts, dad? How were you going to take it back?"

"It was a gift for Pedro."

"Whose Pedro?"

"Old War buddy. We were going to do a quick pit stop in Rosarito and shoot some coyotes".

David sighed. "So, now what, we use it to scare these guys off?"

"Instead of acting like a bunch of sitting ducks, we hit them first. They're not expecting it. I'd like to see them try stopping 6500 pounds and 117 HP of American-made steel"

David turned to Jamie watching in awe at his Grandfather holding the giant handgun. "Jamie, listen. Take this phone and keep trying to dial 0-6-0. I need you to keep your head down against the seats and do not get up until me or your Grandpa give you the OK, got it? Might get a little scary in the next few minutes, but I need you to be brave for me. We'll get out of this safe and sound".

"Ok, Dad."

Stanley loaded the six bullets in the chamber of his Revolver.

"Jamie, I want you to put your hand against your ears when Grandpa says so"

"Ok, Grandpa" Jamie said shaking before his Dad took another deep breath and slammed his foot against the accelorator pedal. 


November 23, 2021 23:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.