5 comments

Horror Crime Drama

I could feel the beat in my body. It had a hard bass, and people were having the time of their lives. They were dancing, drinking, and having so much fun. There were screams of joy…

The screams shook me awake. People were running across the room, pushing their way out of the house. It was pandemonium. I shook myself awake. The room was blurry, and my vision was distorted. It was loud. I soon hear the sound of police sirens, coming closer…

I wake up, finding myself tucked away under a table. I look around. I’m in a house-wait-this is where the party took place. Cups and food lay on the floor, as if it was abandoned. I wait for a moment, taking my surroundings. What happened? Why am I the only one here?

I inch my way out, slowly. Suddenly, the sound of sirens fill the air, and it’s unmistakable- the VCU- it’s the Virus Containment Unit. Instantly, my mind clears up. A lump rises in my throat, and my heart starts beating faster. An outbreak. 

I’m frozen with fear. 

The sirens draw closer, and I make my way out of plain sight. I back up into the bedroom, hiding underneath the bed. 

I lie there for a few moments, trying to think. I then hear footsteps, and glance to my right. Shoes meet my face, and a drop of saliva from above drops on them. I hear a grunt, and then springs as the person drops onto the bed. They cry out in fear, and I hear the sound of scratching filling the air. I shiver-it sends a chill down my spine. 

Eventually the sirens stop. I hear the VCU, breaking their way into the house. The mechanical sound of oxygen tanks and masks fill the air, and I hear their footsteps nearing the room. 

They spot the person on the bed, and it’s a flurry of movement while they detain him or her, placing them in a containment chamber. 

“Name?” I hear the VCU ask.

“Ari,” someone wheezes back.

Tears form in my eyes. Ari. 

I’ll never see him again. My best friend. 

Everybody knows what happens when you get the virus. There’s no cure. The VCU takes you away and incinerates your dying body. 

They are doing you a favor. You only have a week to live. 

As the VCU leaves, I hear their conversation: 

“We need to secure the whole place and burn it.”

“Yes, Sir!”

“This is the 5th case in the last week, and the 20 case worldwide. People are getting scared, with a 100% death rate. We need to contain the situation.”

“Yes, Sir!”

I need to get out of the house. Now. 

I roll out from under the bed, look around carefully. I see the white containment sheets being pulled over the house, with workers dousing the perimeter with gasoline. There’s only one exit, which is where Ari is. 

I only have one chance; I sprint at the group, shoving my way through. I catch everybody off-guard, and there’s a huge commotion. A few hands grab me, but I twist and shake them off. 

As I turn, I take a sidelong glance at Ari. He’s suspended in a containment bubble, and I can barely recognize him. 

The Dots. They’ve erupted all over his body, and more form, as he continues to scratch them. Blood gushes out, staining his Aloha shirt. I’m frozen in fear. It looks worse than on TV. 

I run, daring not to look behind me. My breathing becomes jagged and irregular, and soon I’m gasping for air. I risk a look back, and a group of people in hazmats are running, particularly fast for their attire. That spurs me to run faster, and I let myself get lost in the alleyways. People glance at me, but I’m gone before they can register anything. 

I‘m driven by the pure instinct of survival; if the VCU catches me, I’m dead. 

I run, run, and run. 

I find myself in a field, in a rural outskirt. No one is following me. 

I slow to a walk, catching my breath. I look at myself, checking to see if any Dots have manifested. It doesn’t take much for them to spread. If Ari had touched the table, I would be on the verge of death now. 

First, I check my face. That’s the worst place the Dots can spark, just like what happened to Ari. 

If it’s a limb, I have a bit of time. 

I sigh in relief. I’m good. 

I make my way out to a desolate barn, and sirens fill the air. I hurry inside.

I find a good perch, from where I can see the whole town. I chuckle. I’ve climbed the largest hill in town for my efforts to get away from the VCU. 

I can see smoke rising in the distance, most likely the house where the party was held. It’s gone horribly wrong. The VCU will do whatever it takes to prevent the virus from spreading. 

I know it’s selfish, me running away from them. I might be carrying a small trace of the Dots, probably not manifested yet. 

I brush the thought aside. It would have shown some signs by now. 

I can’t imagine what would happen if I had the Dots. I think I’ll turn myself in, to prevent further cases. 

I make my way down from my perch, grabbing a jacket and hat from the wall. That should conceal me well enough. 

I head toward town.

I’m standing in a plaza, with passersby watching the VCU with earnestness. Their large containment trucks hum loudly, and I soon hear the marching of footsteps. The VCU files in, and the trucks back out. I smile. 

I’m free. 

I walk away, heading toward my apartment. I catch my reflection in a store window. My smile glints and my face is…

I walk closer. I squint, trying to make out the finer details of my face. 

I don’t see smooth skin, however. 

I see Dots.

May 15, 2021 02:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Vox Inanis
03:53 May 22, 2021

Slightly predictable, but written absolutely wonderfully! You do a wonderful job at setting pace in the story, but not making the whole thing feel rushed. I like your style and I love the story. I hope I get to see more from you on here, great job!

Reply

Navneeth N
00:02 May 23, 2021

Thank you for your comment. I hope to focus on these elements and use them more in my story. I'll try to review your stories too, as they seem pretty interesting. Once again, thank you!

Reply

Vox Inanis
02:10 May 23, 2021

Thank you so much! I really can't wait to read more from you. I also hope that you enjoy my stories and can't wait for some feedback! I tend to have issues with editing my own work for spelling and grammar (as you'll see in my first story should you read it) but I am working on that haha. Again, thank you for the story and I can't wait for more! There's not enough good horror out there, and this story was nice and relatable/believable.

Reply

Navneeth N
21:03 May 26, 2021

Sure! I'm working on a story for this week that involves quite a bit of horror, so I hope it turns out well. I can't wait to read your stories too! They seem very interesting and I do love a healthy dose of horror. I'm working on making my stories more immersive and maybe use varied forms of punctuation. Thank you for your comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Vox Inanis
21:34 Jun 16, 2021

I know this is an older story now, but I was wondering if I could get your permission to narrate this, and possibly some of your other stories, for my Youtube channel? I'd give you full credit for the story obviously and would leave a link to the story in the description of the video itself. If you're okay with this, or would like to discuss it further, please let me know!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.