When Alien Alex went to Coffee shop

Submitted into Contest #63 in response to: Set your story in a coffee shop that’s just introduced a new line of autumnal drinks.... view prompt

0 comments

American Drama Fiction

Dr.Bradnop sat at a coffee shop that’s just introduced a new line of autumnal drinks. To their surprise, she was already wearing her clothes from the evening, and she looked flustered.

"I'm trying to find clothes. One of the girls in the store said she was trying to find me something to wear," she said, looking over at Alex, who was staring at her intently.

"How do you look? If it's too hot, you should be in the shade," said Alex, finishing her coffee. "Though if you're going to come, can you help me find a shirt? If not, it'll only be a little bit warmer."

Dr.Bradnop rolled her eyes, pointing at the glaring sun.

"The sun's killing me," she said. "I don't have any."

Dr.Bradnop sighed. "Fine. Come on, you have a date with me at 7."

With that, the two girls left, each on their way to school.

‹Next weekend? If we get early tomorrow, we could run into them around lunchtime.›

‹Yeah.› Alex said. ‹We have to be really careful when it comes to catching them.›

‹Agreed.›

Both of them slipped inside, their cold bodies pushing back against the summer heat. They each had one or two clothes, more than they wanted, but they still weren't in the perfect shape that would allow them to get a normal dress. Alex didn't want to wear a frumpy, comfortable shirt, as she worried it would make it look too summer-y. She was nearly begging her mother for a purple and white dress, but she remembered that Sara didn't like the color.

‹Here,› Olivia said, carrying a light sweater for Alex. ‹This will do.'

She set it aside as Alex pulled her own sweater up. It was a little tight, but Alex had been wearing it for the last hour. It was soft, but it was also warm. Not as warm as the night before, of course, but it still felt refreshing, and it was a little more comfortable than her shirt.

‹Okay, so how much time are we talking?› she asked.

‹Four hours, if we're in every place.›

Alex frowned. 'Can't we just get in the car and drive around?' she asked herself. She thought it would help Alex feel a little more at ease. A small part of her wanted to get out and ride with her mother, as she'd finally decided that she should do something. But there was no way she'd let anything get in her way of improving her life.

They came to a stop in front of a door.

‹This is going to be our little hideout for the next few weeks,› Olivia said, speaking into the keyhole, the door opening. Alex's eyes shot to her mother.

‹Trust me. I've been planning it for weeks.›

The door swung open, and the two entered a perfectly sterile sterile room. The room was small, just three small cubicles all lined up in a semicircle. There was a desk by one of the cubicles, a large TV by the other, a keyboard and a big screen monitor at the other. A second cubicle was flanked on the other side by two chairs, but no one was there.

‹I guess I'm stuck in here all day,› Alex said, shaking her head. ‹Unless I can find a way out of here.'

‹You'll figure it out, just keep at it. I'll be here for you if you need anything.›

‹I don't need any help. I can figure out how to get out just fine.›

‹Try. That's all I can ask for.›

Alex was about to speak, but the next cubicle over closed. She sighed, then opened her mouth to speak, but was cut off by another cubicle opening. She slammed her head against the desk, one hand scraping across her head, and felt her forehead crack. She stared at the cracks in disbelief.

‹You okay?›

Alex jerked up and stared at Sara, the girl sitting on the chair beside her. She looked almost normal, with a little more than a few marks on her face, but she was grinning.

‹Yeah, I'm fine.›

Alex blinked, her eyes sweeping over the two of them. Her eyebrows rose in surprise. ''Okay? But…›

‹Sara,› said Sara, sounding almost annoyed. ‹Why are you still here? Don't you understand? You can't keep living here any longer.›

Alex wanted to scream at her. But the wave of shock and horror she felt from the thought of Sara forcing her to stay didn't compare to the impact the thought of Sara being upset at her just caused. Alex's fingers rubbed at her forehead. She didn't know why, but she hated the girl. She never had any problem with her, but now she was screwing up everything that she'd tried to accomplish. It wasn't fair.

''Okay, so just so you know, I'm a bit of an asshole, so if you get on my bad side I might get a little antsy,› said Sara, a smile on her face as she talked. She lowered her voice to a whisper, as if she was reminding herself of something.

‹But that's… well, okay.›

Sara grinned and leaned in, taking a seat next to Alex. She planted a quick kiss on the top of Alex's head, and pressed a soft kiss to her cheek. ''I'd hoped you'd start to realize that you're a horrible person by now, but I guess I was wrong. And if you really want to keep playing with yourself, there's a mirror over here. I'm going to leave for a while, so I thought you could have the surprise of a lifetime when you find out you're a terrible person. ‹Okay?›

Alex nodded as they stood up from the cubicle. After a moment, Sara walked over to the big screen monitor, and flipped it on. Alex watched as the screen began to shrink in on itself, then the words 'Stargate Universe' appeared on it.

Fade in to black

As the film's still image begins to fade out, Alex hears the sound of distant footsteps approach the door.

‹Roger that,› Alex said, looking at her watch. After a moment, the screen disappeared, leaving only the sound of a cogs being turned.

It felt so surreal watching it, it felt like it was happening for real. Not only did it look like a documentary, but it felt like the alien ship was actually landing, and something was falling down from above. That meant the ship was no longer on Earth, and it was in a completely different solar system. It felt really exciting to watch it all unfold.

‹Okay, so we're in real time. And we're here in the vast emptiness of space, and there are aliens from the rest of the universe looking at us right now, and they're incredibly friendly, so don't worry about it.›

‹Roger.›

‹Good. Now that that's settled, let's see what we can do here, okay?›

After about a minute of moving about, moving as fast as Alex could, she realized she had to stop and take a breath. She put her hand on her forehead, rubbing it with her other hand. Alex was on Earth for almost four hundred years, and she was still reeling from her shock at what she had just witnessed.

For some reason, the human race wasn't meant to be this strong. That would seem more logical if it weren't for all the mad humans that had died in the meantime. Probably for being idiots. How did it end up this way?

Whatever she was doing, it wasn't making her feel any better, either.

They hadn't been gone very long, but they already knew that the machine they had come to the planet with was going to get them to the portal. The trouble was that they still didn't know what was behind the door. One theory was that it was a hidden alien gateway, but that had no real guarantee. If it was really a portal, why didn't it just open up when the ship landed on the planet?

Or maybe it was just another means of escaping? That seemed possible, but it seemed odd that an escape route was hidden behind a door. Wouldn't the ship's computers have put it right there when they took off?

They would be pretty dead if they couldn't find a way through. Sara had warned that, even if they didn't know how to find the portal, if they couldn't find a way inside the ship, it might be too late.

She'd even been able to grab onto their ship through a gap in the wall, which was a good sign that there was at least some space on board. The force-fields could be powerful enough to stop bullets and even missiles, but it wouldn't stop something like that creature.

This was the reason they needed a long-range beam weapon. It would take a lot of power to power up a long-range beam, but the mere thought of fighting something like that made Alex wince.

It was really starting to get annoying. Alex supposed she shouldn't have made a promise to the kids about staying out of the ship as long as

October 15, 2020 15:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.