I'M NOT ALICE AND THIS IS NO WONDERLAND

Submitted into Contest #182 in response to: Write about a character who wishes they could just disappear — and then they do.... view prompt

26 comments

Fiction Fantasy Speculative

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.


I wish I could disappear, be like the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland. The difference is, if I had a choice, I’d prefer to leave nothing behind, just appear or reappear on my own terms.


My name is Alice, but I’m not Alice. I refuse to be. I will see to it, or I’ll drink something that will, indeed, make me disappear.  I’m sure I could find a bottomless hole to jump into, if it came to that. We’ll just have to see.


* * *


My connection to Alice in Wonderland, beyond childhood familiarity with both the book and, then later, the Disney movie version, began at university. I enrolled in Lewis Carroll Studies, one of a subset of courses available and encouraged for anyone seeking a degree in English Literature. That was me.   


This was still a time when women sought higher education in hopes of fetching better husbands. That was not why I went. I’d loved reading since I was a child. Books gave me opportunities to travel and experience things I’d never dreamed of.   


And I could afford college. I’d lost both of my parents in the Kew Gardens train crash of 1950 when two trains collided in the worst railway accident in Long Island Railroad history. We were living in Connecticut.  My parents had taken a trip prior to the holidays to New York City, my father for work, my mother for shopping.  I was fifteen and an only child; now an orphan.  Books became my family.


My aunt and uncle took me in and, three years later, I went off to university, looking for my life.  


Rory and I were both freshmen and met at a keg party hosted by his fraternity. Rory was crossing the main room carrying two cups of beer. I was faced the opposite way, completely unaware of him. I was slightly tipsy and enjoying a few laughs with new friends. Rory suddenly tripped, being slightly tipsy himself, though managed to regain his balance. The beers, unfortunately, went flying and landed on my hair and dress. I was soaked and reeked to high heaven like a brewery. 


Following my initial dumbstruck “what kind of idiot are you” reaction, Rory responded so genuinely mortified and apologetic, I allowed him to attempt to salvage the evening by offering me several beach towels and offering to walk me back to my dorm to shower and change.


We got to talking. He was certainly nice looking, clean shaven, well-dressed and -spoken. The attention he continued to lavish upon me began to replace the resentment I’d first experienced with curiosity, and then fascination. I might rather like getting to know this charming klutz.


He impressed me with his self-confidence and determination to carve out the great life he’d carefully designed. Occasionally he stopped and looked me squarely in the eye to emphasize a point. He made me feel as if I were the only other person on the planet; at least the only one that mattered.   


I learned that neither of us were attached at the time. Rory opted to wait for me outside my dorm while I cleaned up and changed. Then he took me to a nearby club for drinks and continued our conversation. Drinks led to dinner and dinner led to a long walk. When he dropped me at the dorm entrance just prior to midnight, he lightly kissed me on the cheek and whispered he’d never appreciated his lack of coordination as much as he had tonight. 


* * * 


In my mind, I connect this early passage to the lazy, unsettled Alice dozing on the bank with her sister just waiting for something to capture her imagination.  Rory was my white rabbit. He’d been waiting as well, it seemed.  He had places to go, people to meet, a life to grab onto with both paws. Naturally I followed him down the rabbit hole. He was my shining knight in white fur, and had a mission.


* * *


Rory invited me to meet him at the altar shortly after graduation. By then, we’d had three years of relationship bliss under our belts. He was textbook-perfect; attentive, punctual with all the traditions that accompanied special occasions. Any minor infractions could be easily overlooked. I fit in well with his friends and we double-dated with my roommate and her steady. No one had ever made me laugh like this, nor listened to me as intently as he did. I was completely swept away.


It never occurred to me he might be too good to be true, and what carried me away was a crosscurrent that could keep me from returning to safety and the shore. It's a hard lesson: Beware the undertow.  


* * *


Once we landed at the base of the rabbit hole together, the ring firmly set on my finger, there was a slight disagreement, something small. I can’t even remember what it was, though I do remember laughing it off.  Rory’s expression darkened, he refused to discuss it further and stormed off.  I now faced alone a dark hall lined with doors, all locked, and I had no idea where there might be a key.  


I was still reeling from Rory’s stinging overreaction when I came upon a bottle with a sign on it that read “Drink Responsibly,” though, to me, it said “Drink Me,” so I did.   It couldn’t hurt any more than my bewilderment. So, I drank. I felt bigger, whether that was true or not. I still couldn’t find a key anywhere, but now it didn’t seem to matter as much. 


I didn’t know it then, but this was a pattern that would continue. Rory would return as if nothing had happened.  If I tried to explore the matter further, I would be met with one of two reactions: stone cold silence or frightening bouts of rage. I decided to carry a Drink Me bottle in case I needed a place to hide or to regain some of my original height.


So, enough of this dark hallway and all the doors I’m powerless to open. There’s a light that catches my eye. It’s at the base of the door situated at the end of the hall and is the size of a mouse hole.  If I look through it at eye level and squint just so, I see a garden.  It’s so beautiful, I must get there. Trouble is, I’m either too big or too small. I try whatever is at my disposal. I eat whatever is nearby that tempts me. If the sign says “Eat Me,” I do. I just need to find the right thing. 


I’m putting on weight. What if this disappoints Rory?  It’s obvious he’s hurting and needs something I simply have yet to understand how to give him. I’m failing him. What am I missing? Where can I find it?  I’m drifting, treading salt water tears, the exact ones Alice shed when she felt helpless and lost.  Nothing makes sense.    


* * *


Suddenly, out of nowhere:


“Let's go out for dinner.”


“Tonight?”


“Sure. I’ve been working a lot. Let’s treat ourselves to some fun.”


“Well, okay. If you want to.”


“And I was thinking, let’s get a puppy. We can stop at the local pound this weekend and save a life.”


Who are you and what have you done with my husband? I think it, but would never say it.


* * *


Rory’s smiling at me.  We’re both in the garden I’d peered at through the mouse hole. I’m still confused but don’t question how we got here. I’m overwhelmed with relief. I also feel slightly off-center, afraid to make a wrong move. Best to play it safe. I’ll entertain Rory just as I did before. I know he may have to continue on his quest soon; I see him consulting his watch.


There are animals in the garden. They speak to me and I know how to talk to them. They are safe for me to engage. Let’s have a race! It’s a silly business and I’m lost to it, but in a delightful, childish way. When I find myself out of breath from laughing so hard with my new friends, I look over and catch a disapproving look from my husband. The game is over.


* * *


“Rory, I was thinking, I’d like to look for a job.”


“Doing what?”


“Putting my degree to some good use. There’s a lot I could do. Write, teach, edit.”


“Don’t get all hooty. There’s something I was meaning to tell you about. Now’s as good a time as any.”


So, in the end, I temporarily – I convince myself - delay putting my English Lit degree to use and, instead, help out the family business. I don’t have much by way of family myself, of course, so I agree to work a dull bookkeeping job that Rory convinces me to take.  His family owns an auto repair business and they can use the help. 


Now, by sacrificing for my marriage, I get to really know my new family. If I devote myself to pleasing everyone, I believe it will all come back to me in the form of a secure, loving partnership, the sort of union I’d dreamed of. Logic and heart tell me I’m going about it the right way. I should sleep well at night, secure in the knowledge that I am doing my best. But I don’t.


* * * 


My job is killing off my brain cells, one by one, so in my mind it turns into a game - of croquet, naturally.  My mother-in-law acts the Queen, puffed up and grandiose. She tolerates me to a degree but I quickly learn it’s best to let her win.  It’s not worth the inevitable tantrum or smoldering silence that follows when I play it straight. 


The King appears to suffer the same sort of imbalance I do, and is content to remain in the background, sometimes keeping score, padding the Queen’s numbers. He has a kind but weak countenance. I think, but would never say it, Long live the King!


The Queen surrounds herself with all the lower cards in the deck. They eye her warily and are prepared to fold at any minute, and often do. She is really the Queen of Darts.


When lunch is taken and I can slip away, I take lone walks in the woods nearby and try to lose myself for a time. I often cross paths with a stray cat that regards me with curiosity. I’m not sure if it is tame or feral so I confine myself to observation.  The cat appears and disappears when I least expect.  I’d like to engage the animal but can’t read it.  The cat will hiss at me, but then rub against my legs with a contented purr.  When I bend and offer a pet, it nips at my hand and jets away.  Just forget it then!


* * *


Rory enjoys entertaining and suggests we host a dinner party.  I know I will be cook, caterer and clean-up crew for the evening but, as it makes Rory happy, I reluctantly agree.  Besides, I once resisted because I had an early morning the next day. You would have thought I’d told him I’d just shot the neighbor’s dog. So, let’s just prepare the shopping list and start planning, shall we?


All is in order. The house is spotless, the table set, the chicken roasting, soft jazz playing, the lights are low. Rory comes into the kitchen where I’m putting finishing touches on the cheese and cracker board. I can feel the frown before I see it.


“Hi.”


“Is that what you’re wearing?”


“Why? What’s wrong?”


“Well, honestly, if you don’t know . . .”


“I’ll go change.”


Ba-dum-bum-CHING!


* * *


“Alice, this chicken is delicious! I’d love the recipe.”


“It’s really simple . . .”


“Hey, did you hear the one: ‘My wife’s such a lousy cook, even the flies chipped in to fix the screen door!’”


“Good one, Rory!”


“Oh sure, Henny Youngman. King of the one-liners!”


“Who wants more wine?” 


“‘My wife said she wanted to go somewhere she’d never been before. I said how ‘bout the kitchen!’”


Ba-dum-bum-CHING!


* * *


Sometime later that evening, after company leaves, I clean up. Rory is asleep in the living room, mouth agape. I hear his snoring over the television that’s set to a late night sports program.  


I reflect on a line I remember well from the other Alice:


“I should think you could make better use of the time than waste it in asking riddles that have no answers.”


And, with that, my Drink Me bottle and I continue tidying up. Then I go to bed alone and dream of the void. There’s nothing left to be done tonight.  Just another tea party.


* * *


“Who are you?”


“What do you mean, who am I? I’m your wife. Remember?”


“But you act so strange, really odd. What’s wrong with you?”


Trapped again. There is no way to answer this.


“I’m not sure what you’re asking.”


“I didn’t think you would.”


“Rory, I really can’t take much more of this.”


“Well, that’s just like you, isn’t it? Just give up, walk away.”


“But it doesn’t seem to matter what I say. It’s always wrong.”


“Oh, don’t be so dramatic.”


“I can’t talk to you.”


“You and your reindeer games. Here we go!”


And there I should go. But I don’t. I am so unsure of just about everything, I doubt I have enough confidence to cross the street.


* * *


I spend more time in the rabbit hole than I do above ground. I ceaselessly quiver and grow eyes on the sides of my head. The eggshells cut deep and I can’t seem to avoid them.


When I arrive home from work one evening, Rory is propped up on his mushroom, puffing on his pipe, cool as a cucumber. As usual, I take his temperature. 


“You look great up there!”


His eyes are glazed but they turn and become fixed on me. My body tenses; I’m instinctively prepared for fight or flight.


“Well, hello, Rudolph. Come to play games?”


I, foolishly, choose fight.


“Would a simple ‘how was your day’ be so difficult?”


“Oh, here we go again.”


I throw up my hands. When will I learn?  


Rory: “Don’t you have anything to say for yourself?”


I shake my head, go to the kitchen, grab my bag and walk out.


I have nowhere to go.


I get in the car and just drive. 


After hours of driving, I’m tired. I’m near a beach, so I park facing the water, away from just a handful of cars that are parked, I imagine most with couples in varying stages of whatever it is other people do.


I realize this is one of the bravest things I have ever done - or one of the dumbest.


* * *


There is a turtle on the dock that mocks me.  I see a tear but know it is not real. He is, after all, a turtle, mock or not.  I’m getting hungry. How about some soup then? Care to oblige? The turtle bristles and prepares to return to the water. 


“You mock my mockery, 

although you must know,                     

all that you see

is but only for show.”


With that, the turtle disappears over the edge of the dock. Splash.


Hmph, I think. That poetry is just as poor, I'm sure, as his mock turtle soup would have been. Maybe a lobster will come along and make a difference. In the meantime, I’ll just drift.


If one were to ask me

just what brought me here,

I might have to tell them

I once had a fear.


Although I am dressed,

I have nowhere to go. 

I wonder and ask

why go on with this show?


I could go to trial with the Queen on the bench,

deciding my fate with a hammer and wrench.  

I could face a jury asking who stole the tarts,

a question I’d answer with false fits and starts.


So, off with her head!

My future is toast. 

With Dormouse as counsel, 

of course I would roast.


In the hands of the palace

I never could win.

There’s no way to face this

and start life again.


I’m in way too deep now,

I’ll never be free. 

He’s damaged and clever,

and never loved me.


I have no real choice here.

I have no home base.

I’ve run out of keys,

finished last in the race.


I won’t be that Alice,

I’m true to my vow.

I choose my own Wonderland,

and go live there now.


* * *


The following morning, local police received a 911 call from a group of kids heading out to take advantage of the early morning surf. They reported seeing a parked car with a woman inside who appeared unresponsive. Her doors were locked.


The paramedics arrived first.  They had no better luck than the kids had trying to get the woman’s attention.  They decided to wait for Fire Rescue to arrive and get the car doors open.  


Once that was accomplished, the woman was checked by the EMTs. All of her vital signs were normal and she did not appear to be hurt physically.  


An ambulance arrived, she was lifted onto a gurney and then transported to the local hospital for observation.


As it drove away, an EMT, with a chill, wrote these words near the bottom of his report: “Woman appeared catatonic, had a grin on her face.”


* * *


“And so, she sat on, with closed eyes, and half-believed herself in Wonderland, though she knew she had only to open them again, and all would change to dull reality.”


THE END


January 23, 2023 18:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

26 comments

Cindy Strube
18:55 Feb 02, 2023

Fascinating parallel! Lewis Carroll’s works (like other “children’s” stories) reveal much more when read as an adult. Often, when I read (especially with good characterization), I’m reminded of something or someone else. You never know what’s going on in someone else’s life. Alice/Not Alice’s story brought to mind our neighbors when I was a kid. Both parents were heavy drinkers, the mother to such an extent that she rarely left the house. (And the father was a commercial pilot! : 0 ) I don’t know what the undercurrents were in their lives… ...

Reply

Susan Catucci
19:31 Feb 02, 2023

Thanks so much, Cindy - you're absolutely right, you just never know. One of the things that interested me so much about personality disorder/mental illness, there are conditions that have traits to them such as only those closest to them suffer from the effects (you only hurt the ones you "love.") And, what I found really frightening is some conditions have the offshoot that the afflicted person really believes they're fine and the rest of the world is the problem; and therefore, they never, ever improve. What a trap. Human beings - no e...

Reply

Cindy Strube
20:00 Feb 02, 2023

Too well aware of those. Sadly, I have an aunt who’s a narcissist. Of course, the rest of us are the problem… We can’t communicate with her at all. At our shop we used to have a neighbor who said, “It *doesn’t* take all kinds—we’ve just got ‘em!”

Reply

Susan Catucci
20:05 Feb 02, 2023

Oooooh, well put. I can't imagine anyone who hasn't been affected one way or another by mental illness; it's a heady topic. But I enjoyed your last line up there; it's true. When dealing with people with these traits, I've heard others say "life's too short to deal with them," or "hurt people hurt people," but I like your neighbor's observation more. Yep, may not be what we want but it's what we got.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Madison Drew
15:17 Jan 31, 2023

Wow, Susan, this story really grabbed hold of me. I didn't want to look away. And you know those stories where you're so excited to read that sometimes your eyeline slips down and you spoil the story for yourself? I almost did that a couple times, it was so good. I don't know much of Alice in Wonderland really, but I'm appreciative of it because it inspired this.

Reply

Susan Catucci
17:19 Jan 31, 2023

Well, seriously, Madison, thank you so much for those words. I can't tell you how much I appreciate them. This was one of those times that I wanted to do Alice, the housewife, some justice with this tale - there are plenty of people who "live" in impossible circumstances. Imagination is just one place for them to go. Thank you again - I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Andy Baird
23:31 Jan 30, 2023

I love this. Beautiful, tragic, cathartic, "wonder"ful analogy (sorry not sorry for the silly pun). As a reader, I can definitely identify with the sadly sweet fantasy of slipping out of reality into a dream. Excellent repurposing of the Wonderland story. This Alice is a highly sympathetic character and Rory is very real as an antagonist who is not necessarily "evil" but certainly wrong. I appreciate the nuances throughout. I'll just repeat: I love this. Great work!

Reply

Susan Catucci
01:06 Jan 31, 2023

Ah, thank you, Andy - and, please know, no pun is a waste (they contain a ton of relevance only couched in silly). I applaud you for not demonizing Rory - these poor, undeveloped, scared individuals are even more accursed than those they rope in to make themselves feel better - it's a sad but not uncommon thing. I so enjoyed your comments; thank you again. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tara Leigh Parks
15:00 Jan 30, 2023

Great work. Creative and fresh.

Reply

Susan Catucci
15:21 Jan 30, 2023

Thanks for the lovely comment, Tara. Very much appreciated. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
23:59 Jan 29, 2023

Disclaimer: My knowledge of Alice in Wonderland is fairly limited, so it's more than possible I've missed some clever allusions and parallels while reading. But even without that Lewis Carroll knowledge, I think this story is still meaningful. What I like most about this piece is actually Rory's characterization. It would've been so easy to start this story in the middle, with Alice and Rory's relationship already underway, and for us to see nothing but Rory's nasty side. But instead, we meet him at his best, and it's kind of like we're hoo...

Reply

Susan Catucci
01:30 Jan 30, 2023

Ah, good insight, Zack - these scenarios are real, I've seen them play out, with or without any resolution; what's tricky to the observer is expressing what's before you without judgment to the extent that you lose the forest for the trees. Hurt people hurt people, let's not forget, so that's a tough line not to cross. It's too simple to say that's the bad and that's the good. God help us all to find our place in this crazy business. What I wanted for Alice in this tale was to break out and control her own destiny, on her terms. So it'...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
18:33 Jan 29, 2023

Clever translation of the elements of Alice to the real world (Drink Me, the job as a game of croquet, etc), but I really like how you build the ominousness of Rory and her hostile takeover of her life. This bit says it all, "It never occurred to me he might be too good to be true, and what carried me away was a crosscurrent that could keep me from returning to safety and the shore. It's a hard lesson: Beware the undertow."

Reply

Susan Catucci
20:16 Jan 29, 2023

Thanks for those good words, Laurel - mind games abound in the real world and Carroll was a master way ahead of his time. During the writing of this I became a member of the Lewis Carroll Society of North America. I remember there being a rumor that he took psychedelics and that accounted for some of his wild writing - completely false. Alice came straight from a sober mind. Imagine if he HAD been on drugs - can't go there! :)

Reply

Laurel Hanson
20:58 Jan 29, 2023

I hate how people so often assume that if someone is wildly imaginative, creative, unconventional that they are "on" something. So annoying. One can be all of the above while sober. I was under the impression that in the case of Alice, he was being highly metaphorical, making commentary about the society in which he lived. Which is darn clever.

Reply

Susan Catucci
23:40 Jan 29, 2023

Indeed - I am completely with you on this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
08:08 Jan 29, 2023

What a fabulous spin-off! Delving deep into the social construct of skewed, gender assigned roles and bringing up the festering wounds to light- you have done a fantastic job with it, Susan. I found the paragraphs beginning with “ I didn’t know it then, but this was a pattern that would continue” and “I’m putting on weight. “ brilliant- raw and so authentic. I’m rooting for this to do well. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Susan Catucci
13:17 Jan 29, 2023

That's wonderful praise, Suma. I'm humbled by it and appreciate you taking the time and leaving such encouraging words. We're surrounded by quite a bit of talent here and I love the support we provide each other. Thank you and go team!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
06:41 Jan 29, 2023

A great respinning of Alice. You built it up so believably due to the solid context: yes, aspiring women of that time unsure of what to do with their degrees and falling unhappily into subservient and unfulfilling roles. It really was very sound and then moving to repurpose the little drink bottle in particular as again it fits to her character and the wider context of a wife's duties at that time amd how precious few means of escape there were. Also clever allusions: the proud queen mother in law with her fawning low cards who would never h...

Reply

Susan Catucci
13:34 Jan 29, 2023

That is some stunning analysis, Rebecca, so spot on. I'm pleased you found our heroine to possess basic strength in the face of all her challenges. I could imagine that earlier era was a perfect breeding ground for narcissism and the terrible toll that takes on a family and society. Knowledge is power and they weren't equipped with enough of it then. Thank goodness we have more now, so it's hopefully easier for people to take care of themselves. I'm so glad you shared your thoughts - they're good ones. I appreciate it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
18:13 Jan 28, 2023

This whole story just has a “bounce” to it. The MC comes across as almost detached from herself, telling her story with a plastered-on smile, like “it’s fine, everything is fine.” The theme is so tight, the parallels with Alice in Wonderland very clever and fresh, and the ending unexpected in a satisfying way. Great job 🙂

Reply

Susan Catucci
19:43 Jan 28, 2023

I'm so glad you read and commented, Aeris - a thousand thanks. When they say health is everything, they're not kidding. And it's always interested me how people mentally protect themselves when they believe they've run out of options. I've known people in Alice's shoes and it always reminds me how many layers people carry around with them. And why kindness is so important.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:39 Jan 26, 2023

Great piece! Pairing a life-unravelling story with Alice works very well here, with tragic results. She tells us she feels powerless, but we see it each time they talk. The exchanges are infuriating to read because he's absolutely not conversing in good faith. He changes the topic, blames, manipulates, and she can't get a point across. Yes, the powerlessness is palpable. "I throw up my hands. When will I learn?" Indeed. Everything is positioned as her fault. I think this is even more powerful than the jokes at her expense, or roping her ...

Reply

Susan Catucci
02:56 Jan 27, 2023

Thank you in return, Michal - as always. Each word of yours speaks volumes. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
00:52 Jan 24, 2023

You know I'm gonna gush, right? This was TOO GOOD! Oh my gosh, even a poem at the end to tie it all together so perfectly! I totally love the way you spliced a serious domestic gaslighting situation with a nonsensical children's story. It *worked*! Some lines I extra-enjoyed: - "Rory invited me to meet him at the altar" never heard it phrased that way, pretty neat! - "what carried me away was a crosscurrent that could keep me from returning to safety and the shore. It's a hard lesson: Beware the undertow." and "I’m drifting, treading salt w...

Reply

Susan Catucci
02:28 Jan 24, 2023

This is more than praise, Wendy, much more. Along with a hankering to make the world a safer place for children to grow up, as much as it's far beyond me to make it a safer place for anyone, mental health wouldn't be a bad place to start. I may not have the answers but it's not hard to point out the wreckage. I intentionally set this story prior to the time that words like "personality disorder, borderline, narcissist" became mainstream. Imagine how scary a time that must have been to be caught in that web. So you get where I'm co...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.