2 comments

Drama

Wager sits in the back of the taxi. She looks at the letter in her hand again. Though she had gone over the contents many times, she is still far from understanding them.

To my flesh and blood,

I’m gone. I know there’s no point in apologizing for my sudden disappearance so I won’t. I’m not dead, but I’m going on my last assignment. I left everything to you. Money has been placed into your account too. Use this to start over or something. You followed me and made me proud. You are one of the rarities of happiness I have had in my life. Be selfish for once, like I am being. The rest be damned.

Dad



The taxi came to a stop at the bus station. Wager paid the driver and grabbed her things. She continued her journey on foot. She preferred it that way during jobs, it kept her alert. Sure she wasn’t currently on a mission, but it was a difficult habit to break.

She clicked her tongue in annoyance when she reached her destination. She stared at a mansion surrounded by randomly dispersed cars. Corpses leaned against said cars. Other bloodied bodies laid strewn on the ground. Wager studied a few of the bodies. She didn’t recognize some of the men, but then her eyes came across a familiar body art. Wager huffed in irritation as she ventured into the manor.

“If you killed the people who could help me I am going to send you back to your boss in tinier pieces.” Wager swore under her breath.

She made her way past the fallen in the halls. Wager grumbled as she tried to make sense of the seemingly endless hallways. She preferred to study the layout of any type of home before entering it. She was unprepared and vulnerable which made her skin crawl. Then she heard commotion coming from deeper within the abode.

“Tell us what you know!” A loud and echoing voice demanded.

“I told you all I know!” A voice thundered back.

Their loud voices echoing in the big and spacious room. It seemed like an oversized living room to Wager. The couches and chairs were tossed to the side and the tables were either on their sides or broken.

“You lie! He would have left you clues. He would have left all his money to you!” The voice returned lacking patience.

Wager peered around the corner to see a man about to push another man over a balcony that looked over the room. The man pressing for information was scarred on his face and had a gang tattoo snaking around his forearm. Wager has interacted with the prominent gang, but they always proved to be troublesome.

“I told you he didn’t leave me anything! I don’t need his money! My financial activity will prove my claims!” The struggling man protested.

Though he was sat on the railing with his back leaning over the man did not show much sign of fear. He was obviously irritated and annoyed but fear did not strike his features. Though his appearance was rough he was cleaner than the man handling him. His face and hand that grasped the gangster were flawless. His skin was less marred even in comparison to Wager’s skin. It was evident that they didn’t deal in the same business. Wager assumed he sat behind a desk and told people what to do.

“My boss will not take lightly to the nonsense spewing from your mouth.” The perpetrator smirked before forcing the man over the railing.

Wager’s body moved on her own as she met the falling male. She didn’t think this through. She braced herself for the impact and hopes she will be forgiven. She catches the man but nearly falls on her butt. She manages to steady herself with a relieved sigh. She collects herself before looking up at the man glaring at her.

“Who are you?” The grunt holered down.

“Someone familiar with your boss.” Wager answered while meeting his gaze. “I can prove it.” She added.

“I doubt that.” He scoffed from the overlook.

“Then, care to wager?” She spoke with a deep and serious tone.

The words registered to the man. His glare went from strong to hesitant.

“What are you doing here?” The man mumbled.

“Visiting an acquaintance.” She flatly answered.

“Please.” The man groaned. “You’re here for the money as well.” He accused.

“Now you are spouting nonsense. Should I take this up with your boss who is impatient when it comes to nonsense?” She challenged.

He growled and continued to glare at Wager. He gave up and took his leave.

“Watch your back.” He murmured as he left.

“You make it sound like our first encounter ended in your favor.” Wager sneeringly reminded.

The man left with a grumble. Wager placed the stunned man down on his feet. Wager nearly forgot he was in her arms. He was on the lighter side of people she has had to deal with.

“Who are you?” The man asked as he grabbed at his sides.

“I’m known as Wager and you need medical attention.” She replied.

“I can’t disagree with you on that.” The man chuckled with a cringe of pain. “You know how to drive?” He asked.

Wager nodded in confirmation.

“Then we need to get to one of my cars.” He instructed. “That way we can get to a the hospital without drawing too much attention.”

Wager nodded in agreement as she watched the man attempt to move on his own. She quickly went to assist with supporting most of his weight. The man grunted in pain as Wager listened to his quiet directions to the garage. Wager picked up a pair of keys and helped the man into the passenger seat of the car. When they began their drive, the man’s breathing seemed to regulate.

“Why were you there?” He asked Wager. “We have never met before.”

“I can tell you I didn’t come for answers of money but pertaining to something else.” She answered. “I am looking for my dad. He disappeared without much trace, but the only one I found had to do with your dad. I tried to look into him, but he disappeared as well. It piqued my interest more since they both vanished. I didn’t find signs that they were taken but I did find evidence that they interacted. It was weird in my father’s case because he never dealt with the same client too often.” She explained.

“That does seem like a coincidence.” The man gritted out. “What do you mean by client?” He questioned.

“My dad and I are missionaries. We are paid to do odd and/or dirty jobs.” She explained.

“Why would my father deal with the likes of missionaries?” The man inquired.

Wager looked at the man with a raised eyebrow.

“I don’t know, you rich people seem to accumulate loads of dirty laundry.” She retorted.

“I apologize, I didn’t mean to offend you. It’s a job after all, it deserves respect.” The man acknowledge before the car became silent.

They reached the hospital. Wager was instructed to park near the emergency room.

“Request to see Dr. Terry Drakes. When he asks who you are, tell him that Kendrick Elliot Segher Dalton sent you. He’ll get it.” He advised.

Wager agreed and went into the E.R. She approached the front desk and requested for Dr. Terry Drakes. The nurse was confused and skeptical at first before she headed to the back. Wager waited until a doctor emerged from the double doors. The nurse Wager just spoke to pointed the doctor in her direction. The doctor raised a questioning brow and directed Wager to side with a nod of his head.

“Who are you?” He interrogated.

“Kendrick Elliot Segher Dalton sent me.” She relayed.

The man’s features softened before turning concerned.

“Where is he? Is he okay?” He frantically whispered.

Wager was a bit astounded at the personality change. It gave her the time to look at his badge that read, Terrance Drakes. She nodded to the doors silently telling him to follow her. He followed her back to the car to the injured Kendrick.

“Kenny what the heck were you doing?!” Terrance exclaimed.

“Something that can’t be caught in the media.” Kendrick answered.

Terrance groaned.

“Fine, give her the directions to the clinic. I’ll clock out and meet you there. You better explain everything there.” He pressed before running back to the hospital.

Wager drove several miles from the hospital to a little clinic. It was closed, but seemed to be properly maintained. They waited in the parking lot before Terrance arrived and unlocked the doors. With Wager’s help they got Kendrick onto a bed to be examined.

Terrance checked his friend.

“How in the world did you fracture your arms and a few ribs?” Terrance questioned Kendrick.

“Some guys busted into my place demanding my father’s whereabouts. They said that he transferred money before disappearing. They assumed I would know since I am his son, but I don’t have an idea. He said they were unable to trace it and attempted to beat it out of me. The guy said he was going to take me to his boss then threw me over the living room balcony. Then some reversed damsel in distress stuff happened and this woman caught me.” Kendrick explained.

“That’s what they do.” Wager chimed in. “That man is part of a gang who specializes in deaths caused by falls and disabling their prey with falls as well. From the height he was dropping you at, he meant to incapacitate you and save your death for his boss.” Wager explained.

“Damn, then she saved your sorry behind.” Terrance commented.

Terrance finished up treating Kendrick. He washed his hands and grabbed a blanket to cover Kendrick.

“You need to heal so you are stuck in that bed. I assume your place is in shambles so I’ll make the calls to get it cleaned. Your welcomed to stay here woman who saved my friend if you have no place to stay. I stay upstairs.” Terrance invited.

“Thank you doctor, I’m called Wager.” Wager expressed.

“You saved my best friend, call me Terrance. Wager’s a unique name.” He insisted.

“It’s my missionary name. My dad’s is similar. We are known as ‘Gamblers’ we are known to take the riskiest of jobs. We are also known for our similar code phrases.” Wager disclosed.

“A code phrase? Sounds cool.” Terrance said in awe.

“Wait, your codes involve wagers right?” Kendrick asked.

“Yeah.” Wager clarified.

“Did your father’s involve bets?” Kendrick questioned.

“Yeah, they did.” She confirmed.

“I overheard my father make a call one day. He said, ‘I would like to place a bet.’ I didn’t think much of it.” Kendrick brought up.

“That’s not his typical code phrase. It was ‘I want to make a bet.’ Then again he started to sound more proper after a job, I thought it was because he was around rich tools.” Wager shrugged.

Kendrick chortled. “If I said that my father would correct me with the same phrase.”

Then realization hit the both of them.

“Would your father even correct associates?” Wager verified.

“Yeah, he was always a stickler for that sort of thing.” Kendrick affirmed.

“Figures, my dad never used the word ‘place’ before that one job.” Wager recalled. “Aw crunch bar.” Wager cursed.

Wager removed the letter from her pocket. It was rumpled. She read the letter and stopped at the word she was searching for. She cursed under her breath. She looked up at Terrance and Kendrick who were equally confused. She scrambled for her tablet in her bag. She opened her secured bank account. She flinched at the balance of her account; she never believed her balance could hold that many digits.

“I found the money.” Wager whispered.

She passed the tablet to Terrance and Kendrick as well as handing them the letter as well. She slid down the wall she was leaning on. Her hand fell to her lap - subconsciously near her stomach - as she processed her discovery. Questions were bouncing around her head.

“From the amount of digits I would believe it belonged to your father.” Terrance told Kendrick. “According to the letter the money was left to her. It’s also from an unknown source. What could it all mean?” Terrance added.

“They don’t want to be found.” Wager pips in. “My dad never covered his tracks with me. He doesn’t want to be found.” Wager concludes. “Damn, I am alone.” She murmured to herself.

“If that’s true, are you guys going to look for your fathers?” Terrance asked the two of them.

“No. My father left nothing for me so I’ll just leave him be.” Kendrick decided.

“The money.” Wager brought up.

“You keep it. My father always had a reason for things. I don’t exactly need the money. Plus if he did transfer it to me then it would have been traced. According to the imbeciles who beat me up, they couldn’t follow the money. It was meant to go to you. Take it as a thanks for saving me.”

“That’s still too much. That’s like years of service.” Wager argued.

“Then you can be my new body guard. They killed most or all of them.” Kendrick suggested. “From the way that guy left without challenging you, I doubt he would return with you here with me.”

“Wait, what?” Wager tilted her head to the side in confusion.

“I am offering you a job, you can start right away or look for your father if you want.” He proposed.

Wager pouted at his proposition. She couldn’t find another way.

“I guess I am starting right away.” Wager gave in.

“You’re not going to look for your father?” Terrance questioned.

“No. I should respect his wishes, it’s going to be hard, but I can figure it out from here.” She sighed.

“Figure what out?” Kendrick asked.

“Life.” She shrugged. “Wait, will a pregnancy interfere with my starting date?” She inquired.

“Say what now?” Terrance asked.

“Are you pregnant?” Kendrick asked.

“Yup.” Wager answered.

“How far along are you?” Terrance asked.

“I don’t know. I found out last month.” She answered with a shrug.

“And you are a mercenary?” Terrance inquired with worry in his tone.

“I stopped working when I found out.” She admitted.

“Get her checked.” Kendrick suddenly demanded with urgency in his voice.

Terrance looked at him with a puzzled expression.

“She is pregnant and she caught a 210 man from a second story balcony.” Kendrick explained.

Terrance’s face was flushed of color as he looked at Wager.

“Did you fall? Do you feel pain?” Terrance asked Wager.

“No, I’m fine.” Wager attempted to wave him off.

Terrance strained his face at Wager. He ran out of the room. Terrance and Wager could hear him fumbling with something in the other room.

“Wager get your pregnant butt in here right now!” Terrance yelled from the other room.

“Why? I’m fine!” Wager complained.

“Do you have the degrees I have? No, so your claims are bull!” Terrance yelled back.

“He gets like this with friends.” Kendrick stated.

“Friends?” Wager questioned.

“I wouldn’t see you as anything else. I think Terrance would share my feelings.” Kendrick assured.

“Hm. I only ever had my dad, so friends are pretty new.” She admitted as she scratched her head.

“Well congrats you have your self two of the most annoying friends in the world! Now get your butt on this exam bed!” Terrance ordered.

Wager groaned and went to the room with the doctor throwing a tantrum.

August 28, 2020 08:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Julie Emma
13:04 Sep 03, 2020

Wow! I really enjoyed this. The plot was very interesting, the characters were engaging and it really made me wonder what comes next in the story. There were a few sentences that I thought were a bit oddly constructed, but that's easily solved with some editing. Overall, great story!

Reply

Rawn A Lynn
01:47 Sep 04, 2020

Thank you :) Glad you enjoyed it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.