"On the Wings of Wheels"

Submitted into Contest #14 in response to: It's a literary fiction story about growing up.... view prompt

2 comments

General

During the golden years of her childhood, when life was bliss and summers eternal, her bicycle became an instrument of transcendence. Of course, there were many, many table games on her closet's shelves, stuffed animals on her bed, miniature doll collections and paint by number crafts in her chest drawers, yet that turquoise-glossy bicycle that Santa Claus had delivered last Christmas was her favorite.


After returning home from school, she changed into her play clothes and helped her mom with simple chores like folding towels, re- arranging the baby's garments, writing up the grocery list for the week, drying dishes or watering the garden. There was always something to do while she shared with her mom everything that happened at school. Besides being nine and the oldest of three, Mary Elizabeth had an opportunity to learn new responsibilities. 


It was, then, time for a snack when she began homework, reviewing what was done in class and referring to the her family's encyclopedia and her dad's priced dictionary. By three o ' clock she was ready for a shower. How relaxing ! After brushing her hair, she dashed out the front door to the porch where she retrieved her bicycle. Her mom had awarded that privilege every day until five pm. So managing time well was of the essence! She always tried to finish chores, homework and shower at or before four. There was nothing good on TV for girls, any way. It was mostly "boys' stuff".

At five, her dad would be home from the office, and at six, the family would gather for dinner.


The breeze on her face gave strength to her pedaling as she cruised up and down the streets of her suburbs. Her bicycle was a 26 inch! She felt on top of the world! Staying within the limits set by her parents, she began to memorize the names of the families who lived on each street. The Garcia's, the Esparza's, The Jusino's , the Erickson's...Occasionally, there were brief waves from a lady who knew her mother, or a kid who knew her brother...yet there were no girls her age to wave. Although Mary Liz didn't dwell on it, she eventually realized that her classmates lived on another subdivision and that her afternoon bicycle rides would continue to be a time to think, to pause, to go over her day's events and to enjoy all the varied landscapes and gardens.


The impulse of her feet and the cool wind on her face carried her. She began to love the silence of her ride...until one day it was interrupted by a yell: " Hey, Mary Beth, come see what we can do!" It was Tommy, who else?, her brother's best friend , who along with two other noisy children were pedaling toward the hill at the right side of the subdivision. So she followed the three little urchins, baby second graders, as they approached the hill , Tommy yelled again, "Wait here!" They continued to pedal up the hill. She decided' to become a spectator when at the top of the hill she noticed a familiar smile . " Hi , Mary Beth! " It was her own brother: Emmanuel! Who knew?


They formed a straight line with their bicycles and one by one dashed down hill without pedaling and without touching the handles. " No legs , no hands! "'yelled Tommy as they approached Mary Beth! You girls can't do this! Don't even try it!" Their laughter echoed through hill as they raced back home. Mary Beth smiled, congratulated them, but didn't cheer. 


"Girls can't do this!" Those words interfered with the silence of her daily bicycle ride. " I can do it, too. Why not? " that thought persisted until the peaceful, quiet rides took another dimension. No more flat land, she headed for the hill when she knew the boys were somewhere else. Making sure nobody observed, she self- trained alone for days.


There was a craft, a technique to dispelling all fears. She had to take control. She had to take charge of the situation. First step: racing down without pedaling but holding on to the handles. Eventually, no pedaling and no left hand.... Finally, no feet , no hands! It took time, practice , patience. Yes, girls could do it, too! The thrill!


And then the day came when the second graders were at the hill showing off, their cycling prowess. Mary Beth pedaled up the hill! 


" What are you doing up here? We can't help you get down. We're racing downhill. No hands, no feet! Remember?"


Mary Beth didn't respond to Tommy, and immediately, turning her bike around, headed down hill: No hands , no feet! Silently! Elegantly!  


The boys watched in dismay. Tommy looked at Emmanuel, " You knew about this? You trained her?" Emmanuel just kept his mouth opened as his head said no! 


They didn't congratulate her. They didn't compliment her deed. Instead, racing down hill with legs and hands, they sped past her as they reached the main intersection and headed home. It was not even five!


Mary Beth's first lesson on gender equality, sexism, rights, and prejudice was not evident. To her it was learning about the power of her will, about her strength, about the value of persistence, about her identity , her uniqueness... about growing up!


The thrill! 



















November 08, 2019 17:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

William Webster
17:44 Nov 14, 2019

Great job! Well done!

Reply

Mabel Ortiz
20:21 Nov 22, 2019

Thanks for your comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.