1 comment

Fiction Sad

    The weather was foul that day. It was hot, humid, foggy, and lightly misting. The sun was obscured behind the thick wall of clouds overhead, so Scott drove with his headlights on. He drove slowly on the barely damp road, watching the other cars go by. Occasionally, he would pass by a person walking a dog, or an animal would dart in front of him, and he even saw a group of teenagers hanging out, but mostly his drive was uneventful. Still, he drove slowly.

Once he turned into the neighborhood, he slowed down more to look at the houses. They were unremarkable for the most part. Large, but they all looked the same. A glimmer of excitement cut through the gloom as he neared his old favorite house, where the Miller couple used to live. They had remodeled the outside of their house, and Scott used to love it when he was younger. He passed it, but it no longer felt special. After so many years in the foul weather, it blended back into the rest of the neighborhood.

And then, he slowly turned down Skinner Road and parked next to the house right on the corner of the street. Another car was parked in the driveway. Someone else arrived before he did. He checked over his appearance in the car mirror, straightening his collar and adjusting his black sweater’s sleeves. The song that was playing over the radio was almost over, so he reached for his keys. He touched them and was about to turn the car off when—by some chance—a song he liked started to play. His shoulders loosened and he sat in his car, listening to the song for a very long while. Whoever was inside wouldn’t mind waiting a little more.  After the song—he had forgotten what it was called—finished playing, he checked the time. Only four minutes had passed. He groaned.

“Now or never,” he said to himself.

In one swift movement, he shut his car off and opened the door. It slammed shut and he didn’t bother locking it behind him as he strode up the slanted driveway and to the front door.

He stopped. Tapped his foot. And opened the door.

A man was waiting in the living room to the right of the doorway, reading a book. He looked up and gingerly closed the book.

“Ah, Scott. You’re late, but then again so is everyone else.”

“Yeah, long time no see.”

The man stood up, his perfect posture adding to his already tall frame, but his dark suit oddly clung to his thin limbs. Tucking the small paperback under his arm, he extended his free hand to Scott.

Scott took a deep breath and wiped his hand on his pants before accepting his brother's quick hand-shake, glad he didn’t try to turn it into a hug.

“How have you been?” Scott asked.

His brother sat back down and opened his book. “As good as I can be, all things considered.”

Scott rang his hands together and stayed standing. He peered out a large window at the street, but saw no cars or motorcycles traveling down it.

“Sit, sit. It’s still your house.”

“Yes, I know.”

Begrudgingly, he sat on the edge of the couch his brother sat on, on the opposite side. He checked his watch; two minutes had passed. His brother turned a page in his little book, the sound of the paper sheets sliding against one another surprisingly loud.

“Reed,” Scott said, “aren’t you going to ask how I’ve been?”

Hearing his name, his brother tipped his head towards him. “Hm? Oh, yes. I suppose I should. How are you?”

“Just great, thanks for asking.” He paused. “How’s work?”

“Oh, my next gig is in a week. Playing Elgar…again. Found a job yet?”

“No.”

“I’m sorry.”

Reed went back to his book, and Scott stared at his watch. The seconds tick-tick-ticked by. He huffed and looked around the house. It was just a little different than he remembered it. Some furniture was moved around, paintings had been replaced, and even a new area rug had been laid out on the floor below him. He ran his finger down the antique coffee table in front of him. It came back dusty.

How could they be so late to this? How could they? Certainly they couldn’t feel the same way Scott did? They didn’t have the mental capacity to even be considerate and show up on time. How could they feel the way Scott did?

As if on cue, the rumble of an engine cut through the painful silence. Scott shot up and darted to the window.

“Is Jason here?” Reed asked, not looking up.

A motorcycle pulled in the driveway, but it carried two passengers.

“I think he’s with Micheal.”

Reed raised an eyebrow. “What?”

Scott shrugged and sat back down, tapping his foot while he waited for two of his other brothers to come inside. Seconds later, the engine died and the door opened. In stepped Jason, Micheal trailing behind. They were both well-dressed, just like Scott and Reed.

Jason shoved his bike’s keys in his pocket. “Hey, guys. The eldest two arrived first, I see.”

Micheal just waved and wiped his face. His eyes were puffy and red. Before he joined Reed and Scott, Jason wiped his boots off on the doormat. Micheal watched him and did the same a moment after.

“Hello,” Scott said. “Why are you two together?”

Jason and Micheal made brief eye contact. “I helped him get a hotel room, and since he still can’t rent a car I’m driving him around.”

“It’s a little wet out to be on a motorcycle.”

“Oh, it was hardly sprinkling, and it’s just down the street.”

Jason sat down, his knee bouncing. Micheal followed suit. Together, they all sat on the couch and waited. Minutes passed and nobody else arrived.

“Can we leave?” Micheal asked, his voice barely audible. “He won’t show up.”

“No, he said he would come. Let’s wait a little longer,” Reed replied.

“I think we should go. I can leave a note.”

“No.”

Micheal crossed his arms. “I can’t believe him. He’s so…”

“I know, but I doubt we’ll have to see him after this.”

“I hope so.”

Scott said, “So you’re well enough to finally start riding your motorcycle again?”

Jason rolled his shoulder. “Yeah, I’m basically fine now. Physical therapy works wonders. But”-he touched the deep scar running along his jaw-“this will be staying.”

“Oh, well, that's good. I guess.”

“Could have been worse.”

Micheal stood. “Guys, it’s stupid to keep waiting for Brett. He’s not showing up.”

“Just relax. He’ll be here,” Reed said, leaning to see out the window.

Micheal did not sit back down, and instead, he began to wander around the room. He touched little glass sculptures sitting on a shelf and straightened a photo that hung next to it.

Not long after Jason and Micheal had arrived, another car pulled up next to the house. It was Brett. Scott dug his nails into the rough, beige couch as the door cracked open. Brett stepped inside, damp. He wore a pair of jeans with a jacket and muddy tennis shoes. He tracked dirt through the room as he walked in.

“Hey guys. It’s been a while, hasn’t it? Crazy,” he said with a smile.

Scott’s watch tick-tick-ticked. He stared at his younger brother, taking him in. Unwashed, casual, disrespectful. The usual.

“You couldn’t even bother to put on something nice?” Jason said.

Brett frowned. “Hey, I’ll have you know this is nice.”

“No. It’s not.”

“Not all of us can be well-off like you.”

“I’m unemployed, too,” Scott said, “and I’m wearing something nice.”

Jason pushed himself off the couch. “You just don’t care, you heartless-”

Scott stood up, holding his hands up. “Stop! Can we just try to be civilized for a few minutes?”

“Oh, ‘cause Jason’s so good at that,” Brett sneered.

Micheal muttered some excuse and left the room. Brett rolled his eyes.

A split second after Micheal had fled, Jason was in front of Brett.

“If you say one goddamn thing to that kid I will fracture your jaw,” he growled.

Reed slammed his book shut. “Oh, settle down Jason. You are a loose cannon. Are we really going to do this right now? Isn’t there a better time? Why can’t you guys just ignore whatever annoying thing another one of us did? It would make it so much easier.”

“I just can’t believe he dared to show up,” Jason exclaimed. “He didn’t even help plan the thing. He didn’t even visit her before she…and he’s here. Right now. Where were you for the last few years, Brett? Huh? Where were you when I was deployed, when I was in the hospital? In some boarded-up crack house? Under a highway begging for money?”

“I didn’t want to see you! So full of yourself, it’s annoying.”

“We could have helped you,” Scott said, taking gentle steps towards his brother.

Brett shoved Jason away. “I don’t need pity, I’m happy how I am.”

“You know what?” Jason said. “Get out. Leave.”

“I’m not one of your soldiers you get to boss around. Just because you’re a stupid Marine doesn’t mean you’re any better than the rest of us.”

Reed groaned. “Brett-”

“No, you don’t get to talk, Mr. Golden Child. Your whole life’s been handed to you. You know nothing.”

Reed blinked and opened his book again. A deep well of dread opened itself in Scott’s chest. Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable.

“Brett, please,” Scott said. “We need to discuss what’s happened.”

“There’s nothing to discuss. I’m here, aren’t I? After this, you guys will never have to see me again.”

“It doesn’t have to be that way,” Scott said. “We’re still your family. We can help.”

Brett shook his head. “You really don’t understand, do you? I don’t need help. I don’t need you.”

“Why would you even offer him help, after everything he put Mom and Dad through?” Micheal asked. He stood in the doorway from the living room, looking down. “I might have been young, but I still remember everything that happened.”

“Boo-hoo,” Brett spat. “Why don’t you grow up?”

Jason grabbed Brett by the collar. “Shut your mouth.”

Scott leaped over and pushed the two apart, having to use more force than he would have liked.

“I know everyone here has their issues, but please-please-can this wait?” Reed asked from the couch. “Listen, I’ll let Brett borrow one of my suits. I’ll go back to my hotel-”

“No,” Micheal interjected, “did you actually think that would work? You’re not gonna leave us again. Like you always do.” He jabbed a finger towards him. “You run away and hide in your little, perfect, rich world and let us handle everything. God, you don’t even have the spine to carry through with your idea?”

“Yeah,” Scott said, “and you barely did anything to help us plan the service.”

Reed sighed. “Now isn’t the time for this.”

Scott balled his fists. As he looked over all his brothers’ faces, he wanted so badly to scream at them. To shout, to complain, to let out his frustration. They were all so selfish. He should have just driven past the house, turned around, done anything but come back.

“God, you two.” Brett gestured at Scott and Reed. “You two think you’re just so great. You’re the oldest, you’re the most mature, you know what's best for us, you’re better than the rest of us. But you’re not. Especially you, Scott.”

Scott took a step back. “Don’t even try to compare us again. I am nothing like you. At least I try to get better, and I let people help me. I let my family help me. You just can’t-you want to be alone.”

“Just drop it, Scott,” Jason said. “Let’s all just move on.”

Scott continued, “Brett, this is your last chance.”

“Mom and dad tried and tried to help him, but it never worked,” Micheal said, “and it won’t work now.”

Jason shook his head. He walked away from his brothers, rubbing his temples. Scott checked the time. Fifteen minutes before it began. They had to leave.

“This was a stupid idea,” Micheal muttered.

“Come on, Mikey,” Jason said. “We’re leaving.”

The two left together and rode off into the fog. Reed left next, quietly gathering his belongings and stepping out the door without a word. Then it was just Brett and Scott. Alone.

His eyes were hot and wet, and a lump found its way into his throat as he watched his brother amble around the empty house. But his watch still tick-tick-ticked, reminding him he needed to leave if he wanted to get there on time.

“I just want you to know we tried,” Scott said to his brother, “See you there.”

Scott left the way he came, driving slowly. When he arrived at the service, he sat across the room from his brothers. Brett did not show up. Scott never saw him again.

February 04, 2022 16:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Desiree Haros
22:48 Feb 07, 2022

Intriguing. There's a lot of depth in this story. I could definitely use a Part II.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.