Lollipop

Submitted into Contest #7 in response to: Write a story with a child narrator.... view prompt

8 comments

Kids

I looked around the grocery store and saw a giant lollipop. It looked super good, and I tugged Mommy’s hand and pointed at the lollipop. All my older sisters had bought them, and I really wanted that lollipop.

“Please can I have it? Please?”

“Lillie, you know we don’t have enough money for that, and you haven’t had your lunch.” Mommy said.

“For after lunch, pretty please?”

“Lillie, you are not getting this lollipop unless you buy it with your own money.”

“But I don’t have four-nine-nine dollars.”

“It costs five dollars Lillie. Sort of expensive for something that will last you one hour, don’t you think? C’mon Lillie. We need to pay for our food.” She pulled my hand to make me leave my lollipop, and I pulled back.

“I WANT THAT LOLLIPOP!” I cried and cried, and Mommy wouldn’t let me have my lollipop. Mommy picked me up and carried me to the pay counter. Mommy turned to look at stuff behind her, and I saw the person in front of me drop money. I don’t know how much it is, but it has a two and a zero on it. 

I hold on to it, and Mommy puts our food on the counter. The person pushes buttons on a machine, and then big numbers come up. Mommy hands over all our money, and the person says, “You’re short fifteen dollars, Ma’am.”

“One minute please. I need to make a call.” Mommy sounds upset, but I run over to the lollipops and grab the one that said four-nine-nine. As I place it on the counter, Mommy says, “Sweetie, we don’t have enough money for that.” 

“But Mommy, I have two-zero dollars.” I showed her the money I found, and she said,

She hangs up the phone. “Where did you get that money, Lillie? Tell the truth.”

I groan as I say, “I found it on the floor. I have enough for the lollipop now, Mommy. Please, please, PLEASE can I have it?”

Mommy said to the man behind the counter, “What do you think I should do in this situation? Is there any way to find the person that lost the money? I would like to return it if possible.”

“I’m probably not supposed to say this, but that guy was carrying one thousand dollars in cash, and he’s rich. He’ll survive without a few dollars. There isn’t a very easy way to find him anyway, so you might as well just use the money. If your conscious is that worried, we can tack a note up so next time you come you can call him and return his money, if you would like. That’s the best I can do, Ma’am."

“Okay, I guess I can pay him back later. Lille, honey, you can buy that lollipop now.”

“Thank you, Mommy, thank you, thank you, thank you!”

I was so excited, I passed the money to the man on the other side of the counter, and I didn’t mind if Mommy used some of my money for food, even if it meant I would have to eat yucky broccoli for lunch. I ran out to the car, and set the yummy lollipop in my lap.

When I open my eyes, I’m in the bunk bed I share with my twin, in our bedroom. My other sister sleeps on a small bed on the floor. I have to share with my sisters, but thankfully both of them really love green too, and it’s everywhere. I guess I fell asleep. Mommy comes in, and she seems surprised.

“Oh, you’re awake! I thought you would be asleep all day.”

“How long did I sleep?”

“About three hours.”

“What’s for lunch? Broccoli?”

“You aren’t far off. We’re actually eating, broccoli and bacon, with some pasta.”

I groan. I really don't like broccoli. “Okay. Can I eat my lollipop after lunch?”

“I know you bought that with your own money, but do you mind sharing with your sisters? You could probably have the biggest piece, because the lollipop broke in the car.”

“Why do I have to share? Neither of them shared the lollipops they got.”

“Well, if I had known you would want one, I would’ve gotten you one when they got their lollipops. And I’ll have you know, I have both of those lollipops in the cupboard still. I didn’t want to tell you at the store, and you were so upset I just let you be. I need to finish dinner now. I’ll call you down when it’s ready.”

This was why I didn’t trust any of my siblings. They had tried to hide the lollipops from me, and thought I wouldn’t notice. I ran downstairs, grabbed my lollipop and hid it in my pillow. I did not want any of my siblings having a single bit of it. As I walked to the kitchen, I realized Mommy would probably find it.

I ran back to my room, and re-hid the lollipop under a pile of clothes in my closet. When I finally went to the kitchen, Mommy asked if I had homework.

“No.” I do have homework, but I do not want to do it right now. 

“Good. Because if you do and it’s not done tomorrow, you won’t be having a lollipop.”

“I’ll go check, just to be sure. Be right back.” I ran to my backpack, and ‘found’ my homework. I really don’t want to do it. I had to trace a bunch of letters, and I really don’t like doing that.

Mommy left to go clean my room, and I didn’t want to share my lollipop with my sisters. I really quickly did my homework because I wanted to eat my lollipop before my sisters got home. After my homework, I ate my lunch super fast. Even the broccoli. Mommy walked back in to do dishes. I immediately ran to my room, and went to my closet. The lollipop was missing, and in its place was a note. I ran to Mommy to ask what it said.

“If you’re nice, and help your mum,

a very nice reward will come.

your sugary treat, whole like new

sweeter than the morning dew.”

“So, it seems like all you have to do is be good, and you’ll get a brand new lollipop.”

“That sounds easy.”

A while later…

Emily, the oldest of us, went to go get her lollipop from the cupboard, and saw only one, her younger sister’s lollipop. I noticed that there was also a slightly crushed lollipop, and it looked like it was mine that I had first gotten. The one I had just finished had Emily’s name on it, and I thought it was just a mistake. I must have eaten Emily’s lollipop.

"Lillie, where is my lollipop?" she sounds very mad at me, and I run away as she chases me down the hall.

September 20, 2019 23:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Aida D
23:46 Apr 06, 2020

I really loved this story! It was so true, and only being like 4 years older than Lillie sounds, I would know. if you don't mind I was wondering if you have any tips for a sixth grade writer like me?

Reply

Holly Pierce
19:01 Apr 09, 2020

I'm actually in 7th grade myself. Just keep writing, and make sure to have plenty of people read/help you edit your stories. :)

Reply

Aida D
19:10 Apr 09, 2020

Thanks Holly! I Know another middle grade student, Callie Bennet. She would love it if you checked out some of her stories.

Reply

Holly Pierce
19:55 Apr 20, 2020

Okay, I will. I can't find her on any contests. Do you know which contest and prompt she last submitted on? Sorry to bother you I just can't find her.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:50 Jan 20, 2023

This an amazing story I love how it's all stuff that would actually happen!

Reply

Holly Pierce
03:44 Mar 07, 2023

thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Magdalene Lam
12:24 Nov 28, 2020

Lollipop, Yum!!

Reply

Holly Pierce
14:22 Nov 29, 2020

yes!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.