35 comments

Funny

“Are you sure this is a good idea?” Ryan asks. “I mean, this can go wrong in so many ways.”

“There’s literally no way this can go wrong.” Hazel snaps. Her long brown hair is tied up in a bun. “We have people working with the police, and people working in the bank. I’ve thought of everything.”

Hazel’s family owns a very successful bank. However, they have a rival, a different bank owned by a different family. It’s April first, and Hazel has decided to prank them to show how bad of a place the rival family is.

There are twenty of them in the small room. Most of them are just there because Hazel promised a raise.

“Are you sure this is needed for a prank? I mean, can’t you just-”

“Ryan?”

“Yeah?”

“Shut up and sit down. Micah, go over the first part of the plan.”

Micah, a man with spiky hair dyed purple, who is sitting in a chair with his feet on the table, tapping at his phone, lets out a dramatic sigh. “Some of us get robber masks on, and go into the bank with guns that aren’t loaded, and we demand they let us into the safe, where we act like we take money, but actually leave fake money, then leave after thoroughly threatening them, and- yeah, this seems like a bit much for a prank.”

“Do you want the raise or not?”

“If we get arrested, it won’t matter.”

“You won’t. It’ll be fine. I thought of everything.”

Micah rolls his eyes, and goes back to his phone. “Whatever.”

“Emma, what's the second part?”

Emma, who is working at the bank to earn money for a car, looks up from a notebook with a bored expression. “We get ourselves arrested by your ‘undercover police officers,’ but act like we don’t work here. Then someone will call to say our bank is getting robbed, but it’s just some of us, but we say we’re from the other bank, and- this makes no sense.”

“Okay, you know what, you guys know the plan, I don’t need to remind you. Go ahead! And no attitudes!”

They hold in their grumbles as they get up. Micah and four others are wearing all black, and grab ski masks before going out of the room to a car that’s waiting for them.

“This is stupid!” Micah calls before the door shuts.

Hazel sighs. It’s not stupid. It’s revenge.




“Hands up! Everyone freeze!”

Micah is bored. Sure, he’s robbing a bank, but he has better things to do. He had to cancel a date for this.

There aren’t lots of people in the bank lobby. The people at the desk, an older lady and a man that looks like he couldn’t care less that a gun is pointed at him. Everyone lifts their hands.

“Where’s the safe?” Cooper demands. Cooper is one of Micah’s friends. He knows they don’t really want to be there either, but they’re a good actor.

The older lady points, but Cooper says, “Show us.”

Micah and Cooper follow her and the other three stay. The lady goes to a hallway, then through a door.

“It’s an actually safe?” Micah asks. There’s a huge circular metal door with a passcode on the wall beside it in the small room.

“Yes,” The lady says. “My granddaughter thinks no one wants to rob theis place. The code is 1234.”

“...Seriously?” Cooper says.

Micah sighs. “This is ridiculous. I can’t believe I’m wasting my time on this.”

Cooper types in the code. There’s a quiet beep, then the door creaks open.

“Uh…”

There are two people in ski masks in the safe already, stuffing a duffel bag with money. One has curly hair that was tied in a ponytail, and the other has long hair dyed red that is tied in a bun.

 They look at Cooper and Micah, and Cooper and Micah stare back.

“You know what?” Micah says. “You guys have fun.” He tosses them the bag with the fake money. “Will you leave that in there, please? Have a great day.”

Cooper closes the safe door, then turns to the older lady. “Can you call the police?”

“What?” She frowns.

“Not on those two in there, on us. Just tell them we tried to rob you, but you took our guns or something.”

“You...want me to call the police?”

“Well, I’m not sure what we’re supposed to do now. I think we’re supposed to get taken away by fake cops, right?”

Micah shrugs. “I went over the first part, remember?”

“Maybe it’s the security guards?”

“Oh, good point. You guys have any security guards here?”

The lady looks very confused, but nods slowly. “Yes, we do.”

“How are we supposed to know which are the fake ones, though?” Cooper asks.

There’s a knock on the open door. A girl in a police officer outfit looks in. “Uh, I’m supposed to be arresting you, I think.”

“Oh, great, there you are, let’s go. I might be able to make it to my date now. Can you drop me off at the coffee shop down the street?”




“So did it work?” Hazel demands. She’s on the phone with Micah.

“Yeah, yeah, it worked.” He says. “Can I go now?”

Huffing, she hangs up. She’s waiting in the lobby of the bank at the front desk. She has five fake security guards stationed against the wall. She didn’t want real guards, in case they try to actually take the ‘robbers’ to jail. There are a few people that are actually there to deposit or retrieve money, and a few people who Hazel has there to video what happens. 

Three people in ski masks come in, with guns raised. 

“Hands up!” One of them shout.

Hazel lifts her hands, and so do most of the other people. Two of them lift their phones, though.

Before anything can happen, though, the ‘security guards’ have disarmed the ‘robbers’, and two of them are leading them outside.

“That was it?” Emma mutters from the other side of the desk.

Hazel ignores her.

Two people come in, and walk to the desk.

“Was that a robbery?” One asks with wide eyes. It’s a girl with curly hair.

Hazel nods. “Yes, but it was handled appropriately. Don’t worry, no one could rob this place.”

“Can you tell me what happened?” She asks excitedly. “I want to know everything about this bank!”

The boy who is with her rolls his eyes. “If she’s going to do this, can I use your bathroom?”

“Yes, sure, it’s back there.” Hazel says, excited that someone wants to know about the bank.

The boy nods, and walks over, his hair, dyed dark red, swinging behind him. He hefts the blue backpack onto his shoulder, not glancing back.




Micah checks his phone. His date should be here in a few minutes. They changed the place from the coffee shop to a nice restaurant.

There’s a new text from Hazel, and he reads it.


Hazel: The bank got robbed. Not a prank.


That’s all it says. Micah snorts. Serves her right.

The door to the restaurant opens, and a tall man with a hat covering his hair walks in. He looks around, before his eyes land on Micah. He walks over.

“Hi, are you Micah Jackson?” He asks.

Micah smiles. “Are you Leo Phillips?”

“I am, sorry I’m late.”

“It’s no problem. What’s with the hat?”

“Hair disaster. I’ve got to fix it tomorrow. “Leo sits down across from him. “Did you order yet?”

“Nope. I was waiting for you.”

“Well, get whatever you want. It’s on me. I just...got a raise at work, and I want to treat you.”

Micah smiles, and looks at the menu. He misses Leo tucking a piece of his long dyed red hair into his hat.



Not a cliffhanger, but...

March 31, 2021 19:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

35 comments

Awwww so cute. I like how everyone's against Hazel. No suggestions! Can't wait for another storyyy!

Reply

Ari Berri
23:34 Mar 31, 2021

Thank you! I'll tell you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:42 Apr 14, 2021

I love your new profile!

Reply

Ari Berri
15:48 Apr 14, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cookie Carla🍪
20:10 Apr 01, 2021

You know what, this entire week I've been scrambling my brain trying to figure out what to write and I still don't have a clue. I'm just gonna try again next week. But you know, I think this was the most inventive way to go about this prompt. Absolutely amazing. If I had to criticize anything, I think there were so many break lines it distracted from the story. And I think you messed up some of your tenses a little bit. But to be fair, I write like this too so I shouldn't be saying a thing😂 I thought it was very creative the way you portra...

Reply

Ari Berri
20:30 Apr 01, 2021

Thank you for the feedback! I'm glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Asumi Pringle
15:13 Apr 01, 2021

The story was so good and it was fun! I cant wait to read your other ones!

Reply

Ari Berri
15:15 Apr 01, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ari Berri
16:23 Apr 01, 2021

New story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Meera Lakshmi
14:41 Apr 01, 2021

Please don't leave. I don't know what I am gonna do without our convos!!!

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
14:42 Apr 01, 2021

Or at least can we work out some sorta chat system outside of reedsy? I know the doc thing didn't workout but I know if you leave I am def gonna miss ya.

Reply

Ari Berri
14:43 Apr 01, 2021

Keep scrolling my bio.

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
14:45 Apr 01, 2021

My heart sunk! That was so meannnn! Except I am low key cackling now.

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
14:45 Apr 01, 2021

I literally scrambled to try and figure out how to set up an email to give a docs linkkkkk

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
14:45 Apr 01, 2021

That was goooood.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
16:23 Apr 01, 2021

New story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Amel Parvez
11:54 Apr 01, 2021

sooo goood! i really just enjoyed reading it! hope u post your new story sooon:) and yeah are u still being down voted?

Reply

Ari Berri
13:59 Apr 01, 2021

Thank you! I'll tell you when- hopefully today or tomorrow. No, not recently.

Reply

Amel Parvez
15:55 Apr 01, 2021

na! Anytime:) right. oh Thank God.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
16:23 Apr 01, 2021

New story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Sunny 🌼
22:20 Mar 31, 2021

This was fun! I enjoyed it. (Sorry this comment is so short my brain is at like 2% rn)

Reply

Ari Berri
23:01 Mar 31, 2021

It's fine, thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:17 Mar 31, 2021

Lol, I love your characters and dialogue. I only have one piece of critique, but it isn’t really valid... I’m not the biggest fan of third person present tense and I don’t know if you accidentally messed up at some point with the tensed, but I think this would have been better in first person; it’d match the energy much better, I think.

Reply

Ari Berri
20:42 Mar 31, 2021

Thank you! I usually do third person past tense, but I started it off as first person, then changed it. But I agree, though. I'm not going to change it, only because I don't want to miss one and mess it all up. Next time, I'll try to do that, though. Thanks!

Reply

20:45 Mar 31, 2021

Oh yeah, definitely don’t change it. Imagine if you wrote future tense, lol

Reply

Ari Berri
16:24 Apr 01, 2021

New story!

Reply

16:38 Apr 01, 2021

UoUooOuO

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
21:28 Mar 31, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Ari Berri
21:31 Mar 31, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ari Berri
16:23 Apr 01, 2021

New story!

Reply

Unknown User
16:49 Apr 01, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.