36 comments

Romance

It was the ball night. Something was strange about it. The stars were shining extra brightly making the magnificent sky extremely beautiful as if white pearls are all around this glamorous moon captivating attention towards itself. It was so calm to listen every little detail of heart thumping in the chest and thoughts striving to make those words popped out of your mouth as the time was right. You took a glance over the view to reach out the one you have been waiting for almost 5 years. 

" what if I didn't get the answer I'm looking for." You asked this question to yourself. Suddenly it felt heavy and urge to cry become strongest. "No, don't please.. compose yourself. You can do it." You assure yourself. "This is the time you were craving for. If you didn't approach this time, you will lose him." You tried to be strong willed and collect all the positive vibes that were pursuing you to do it. 

You took little steps towards the hall. It was a huge one with people all dressed in Prince and princess style for the theme of ball was build on the idea of believing that everyone on this earth possess hidden qualities of royalty and one should feel it and celebrate it atleast once a year.

All dressed in white with white pearls of necklace shining in your neck and hairs all tied up in a perfect bun. You put some more lipstick to look more prettier than ever. "Huh.. here I go." You mumbled under your breath.

'Every night in my dreams, I see you I feel you..'

The words of song were so meaningful as if it has been written for you. All the people in the ball started dancing on this slow music. Eventually you find whom you were looking for. A smile spread across your lips glowing your face with sweetness and delight. You reached him and find busy talking with someone on his phone. 

"Ehm ehm.." You tried to seek his attention. He looked back at you and gave a warm smile. 

"I'll call back." He said and then hung up the phone.

"Hey, how are you?" He asked. His eyes has a glint of happiness that your eyes caught and capture it quickly in your heart.

"I was looking for you everywhere. The hall is large enough and the crowd...one can lost here." You replied without looking directly in his eyes. As if trying to hide things that were going inside you. 

'I want to reveal my feelings for you. I can't hold back now and I think now is the right time.' You said with your gaze in his gaze.'

"Kristen!" He waved his fingers in front of your eyes.

"Oh.. " You realized you were day dreaming and trying to hide the embarrassment, you started acting casual with your cheeks blushing and clearly shouting out the whole scenario.

"Let's dance." He offered his hand to you. With butterflies all fluttering in stomach you hold his hand and started dancing slowly and slowly, letting your body feel light with every step you took and drowning in the music, relishing every moment of it. You want to cage every little second of the moment. 

"Samuel, there's something I want to tell." Your tongue finally speak out the words. 

"Listening," his words melt your heart making it skip a beat. You feel your breaths getting heavy. 

'How do I say it. It's so difficult. But I would regret if I didn't' a thought strikes you making you feel uncomfortable.

"Let's sit somewhere, my foot is paining." You said trying to compensate the rising feelings in your chest.

"Sure.." he hold your hand carefully to not let you feel more pain making a way through the crowd and you both walked out of the hall. A cold breeze hit your warm body.

"What were you saying Kristen." 

For the first time in your life you loved your name this much. 

'It feels so good harking my name from your mouth' You thought.

"Well, actually... " You started 

His whole attention was on you now. Suddenly out of nowhere a dog came running right into him.

"No..." You shouted and took some steps back in order to protect yourself.

"My boy, "he said patting the dog happily.

"is it yo..yours..?" You asked, stammering, a little confused.

"Absolutely not." He answered and then point towards the gate where the gatekeepers were sitting and talking. 

"Well, I don't like them." You try to hint him to send the dog away.

" don't be afraid, they are the most loyal ones." He said still patting the dog.

" You were saying something." 

"Samuel.. I.." You started. A twinge of pain strike right in the foot making you stumble.

"Ouch.!!" You cried in pain.

He quickly gave his arm to support you. 

"Are you okay?" He asked in concern.

" It feels like someone has stabbed me right in my foot." You said. 

He helped you sit on the edge of footpath. You grab your foot trying to finish the pain so that you could say it whatever you were endeavoring to say from so long. 

"Let me take you to hospital." He suggested.

"No I am...I am fine." You replied. "Just listen to me. I have been trying to say this from so long but everytime I try to say i feel like I will be broken into thousand pieces and my heart will burn and turn into ashes and the air will took those ashes with itself and bury it somewhere so that I won't find my heart again." Your words just come out of mouth fluently.

"What.." he stare at You in total disbelieve.

You catch his sceptic effort and feel the actual hurt in your stomach like your soul has been deeply wounded and is left to bleed. 

"forget it..it's nothing." You smile and try to stand on your foot preparing yourself to go home.

"Let me drop you at home." He offered.

"No Samuel. There's absolutely no need." You replied sarcastically.

You feel your feelings roaring inside. You reached home, close the door behind and lay on your bed. A flood started flowing out of eyes and was totally unstoppable.

The morning sun was glancing from the window. You opened your eyes and find yourself in the same white dress you were wearing the night before. You pulled yourself up to freshen up. 

"You are nothing but a useless mess." You cursed yourself while trying to select something comfortable to wear. You get in the bath and remember every detail of the ball. You shook your head and try to concentrate in the present situation. After dressing in pink top and white trouser you made yourself a hot cup of coffee. You feel your shoulder muscles tightening. You move your neck trying to reduce the pressure when unexpectedly your door bell rung.

"Who's it. " You look at the wall clock that was striking 10 Am in the morning. Holding the same cup of coffee you pulled open the door. The cup fell down and the coffee spilled on all over the floor. 

"Relax.. I was here to ask you how are you now. Your foot was aching the previous night. So how's it?" Samuel was standing in front of the door with flowers in hand.

"I'm fine..." the only words that comes out of your mouth. You stood there still like a statue with continuously glaring at him astonishingly. 

"Won't you let me in." He try to make you remember he is standing outside.

"Why not." You welcomed him.

" I'm sorry..my house is a little dirty. I didn't get time to clean it all." 

"Its okay Kristen. Come here and sit." He offered a chair right beside him.

You nervously sit on the chair trying to figure out what actually is going on.

He presented you the flowers. You looked at it as if it's the first time you have seen such beauty. You took it and look at him, giving him the clue to start the conversation.

"Well, you were looking pretty in that white dress." He started as if trying to live those moments again.

"Thanks." You blushed and looked down shyly. 

You feel his stare on you. Nervously, you stood up and try to make an excuse, " Let me bring you some coffee." 

"Don't burn those beats. I won't let it turn into ashes." He said standing up from his place.

"Ashes.." You repeat his words in astonishment.

"those beats have adroitely make a way to beat in me, wanting me to hark every thump. And I would love to look at that smile every morning." 

You look at him as if you are not getting anything.

You swallow the little saliva in mouth and your hands turned cold. 

"Kristen.. Your silence is making me wonder an assertive answer." His eyes were smiling as if they have got what they wanted.

Your mouth opened to say something but words didn't come out. 

"Freed yourself from the cage of fear that is troubling you inside." He smiled at you. A warm smile that you wished to look since 5 years after studying together in a university. 

"this little pumping part was already burning. How will you save it." You finally asked what you were trying to ask in 5 years.

" be mine." He said.

You looked at him as if you have got the whole world. You remembered how the stars were shining the night before.

 'May be they were trying to give a hint, that whatever I was hiding will be revealed soon and that I'll become the butterfly with all colours back on my wings.' You thought.

You nodded so as to agree. His smile grew bigger and your heart biggest to let every beautiful feeling make home in it.

June 25, 2020 12:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

36 comments

Zilla Babbitt
00:48 Jun 26, 2020

You asked me to read, so here I am. So sweet! Basically all the comments said what I was going to (beautiful, endearing, etc) so I'll jump straight to things-to-work-on. 1. Grammar. Use question marks after a question. If the tag is He said/ you said, it's a lowercase pronoun and a comma, not a period, ending the sentence (what that pronoun just said). 2. Clunky sentences. I get the feeling English isn't your first language, and if so, great job! You write exceptionally well for a non native speaker. But there are things to fix. "You aske...

Reply

Khizra Aslam
05:50 Jun 26, 2020

First of all thank you for reading my story and pointing out things that I have to work on and I will definitely try my best. I mostly write poetries so this is the first time I am writing short stories. Your kind comment has boost up my writing inspiration. Thank you once again❤😍

Reply

Zilla Babbitt
11:54 Jun 26, 2020

You're welcome! Glad I could help.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Yageen Faiz
18:01 Jul 08, 2020

hello! can you read one of my stories if you have time? thank you!

Reply

Khizra Aslam
09:09 Jul 09, 2020

Sure :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:13 Jul 09, 2020

Amazing story well done 👏👏:)

Reply

Khizra Aslam
06:47 Jul 10, 2020

Glad that you liked it❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kelechi Nwokoma
19:08 Jul 03, 2020

Khizra, this is a beautiful story, and I really enjoyed it. I also love that you included Celine Dion's song (I love it, too) I just saw an error where you said something like, 'to look more prettier than ever.' I think you meant prettier than ever (more wasn't needed) Overall, this is a great story. Keep it up!

Reply

Khizra Aslam
06:14 Jul 04, 2020

Thank you so much😍❤

Reply

Kelechi Nwokoma
14:02 Jul 04, 2020

You're welcome :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marsha Webb
17:31 Jul 02, 2020

Aww so romantic.

Reply

Khizra Aslam
18:59 Jul 02, 2020

I'm glad that you like my story 😍❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
I. Love
18:25 Jun 26, 2020

Critique: There were some errors with grammar and spelling + some awkward phrasings (ex: " what if I didn't get the answer I'm looking for.", 'It feels so good harking my name from your mouth'). Compliment: I liked the magical, fantastical feel of the story :) Please check out my story if you have time! ♡

Reply

Khizra Aslam
07:20 Jun 27, 2020

Thank you so much and sure I will check out your story as well❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maliha Qureshi
19:10 Jun 25, 2020

Samuel and Kristen ❤️ Love the story and song is perfect for the ball party.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rhondalise Mitza
17:39 Jun 25, 2020

I love that story! Great job. :D

Reply

Khizra Aslam
17:45 Jun 25, 2020

Thank you so much ❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mishra Amush
16:26 Jun 25, 2020

Story is beautiful ❤️ Kristen is very lucky 💕 I hope we all get a person like Samuel who could even understand our scilence 😍💕

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rahima Rashid
16:11 Jun 25, 2020

I also want someone like samuel......😅 which doesn't even exist in my life 😁......this song line perfect suits "Darling you look perfect tonight".... Keep it up👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Batool Hussain
15:47 Jun 25, 2020

Heyy! I saw that you followed me, so I decided to follow you back and check out your stories too. A beautiful story I must say^_^ Also, if you don't mind, will you have a read of my recent story' You and the train' too? Thanks.

Reply

Khizra Aslam
16:02 Jun 25, 2020

Sure.. And tysm for the compliment ❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alisha Hareem
14:28 Jun 25, 2020

Beautifully written 💯 Kristen is very lucky to have someone like Samuel 🥀

Reply

Khizra Aslam
14:31 Jun 25, 2020

Thank youu❤❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sumaiya Ahsan
13:58 Jun 25, 2020

Finally Kristen got her love after waiting 5 years....hope we all get a person like Samuel who could understand our feelings❤️🙈

Reply

Khizra Aslam
14:31 Jun 25, 2020

InshAllah❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ayesha Aslam
13:44 Jun 25, 2020

Great effort...keep going💯✔

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sumaiya Ahsan
13:18 Jun 25, 2020

This story is love😍

Reply

Khizra Aslam
13:45 Jun 25, 2020

Thank you😍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sumaiya Ahsan
13:17 Jun 25, 2020

Beautifully written... keep it up!😍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kainat Awan
13:16 Jun 25, 2020

Wow! finally Kirsten got what she wants.. epic story about a woman who deserves to be loved ♥️

Reply

Khizra Aslam
13:43 Jun 25, 2020

Thank you.. and I wish we all get someone like samuel❤🙈

Reply

Alisha Hareem
14:26 Jun 25, 2020

Who understands our silence 🙈♥️

Reply

Khizra Aslam
14:31 Jun 25, 2020

True 🙈❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mishra Amush
12:58 Jun 25, 2020

Amazing💕

Reply

Khizra Aslam
13:01 Jun 25, 2020

Thank you😍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Farha Aslam
12:42 Jun 25, 2020

keep it up👍

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.