9 comments

General

SEEING IS BELIEVING

“Seeing is believing” has been and continues to be one of my leading principles in life and am not ready to have a rethink on that no matter how hard you persuade me. Besides it is not going to be a bad thing at all being another Thomas. Who knows sharing and taking a bit of the two known Thomases? Thomas Aquinas and Thomas the apostle. And you know they were spectacular to the universe and so am I.

How can you tell me that the men can fly high above 100 storey building or hold on to a broken bridge across the sea from claiming lives or holding on to a crashing plane suspended in the air and you expect me of all people to believe? We will hear you another day. Besides, come to think of it, where is the man holding on the broken bridge standing? In the water? What of the person suspending a plane, standing in the air? You better think twice ohh.

You will keep on doubting and even doubt that you are dead since you are dead to even see your dead body. Smiles. But I hope that before that, a spark of enlightenment must have burned down a little of your doubt. Is that a prayer or what? Whatever you call it, all am saying is that, you will see and will come to believe.

Can it actually be that God is answering his prayers or it`s just a plot organized to pull me through to believe? But why would God so much have to stress himself to prove something as worthless as this? What effect would it even have in me or anybody for God to undergo such stress? Whether it is God`s proof of extra power, a ploy to buy me over or a rare birth one in hundred million births, only time will tell. To me, it`s far more reasonable to have the last as the cause, all the same, time the ultimate healer of wounds will always have its way to things.

That was how I bought myself over for a task without knowing. A task without pay or any meaningful value being added to me but I was happy doing it. A believe I have earlier sworn and held, attached so my body like my skin, never to be deceived by my fellow man over such trivialities.

It was all of a different angle but I was looking up to seeing superhero fantasies like the Spiderman or Krishna movies. But this time, I was the judge in a real life play.

Laux was my neighbor. The tales of his escapades I have always heard but not until now, I have not had the time to listen nor to see. Now, I listen, I hear and I go to see. But what I hear I must listen, what I listen I must test.

So did I hear that, Laux is the only child and only son the parents could show for 20years of marriage, after 11 years into the marriage. It was a compensation for years of barrenness. Is the mother actually barren, no, years of childlessness should be better. All the nutrients of creation in a couple were molded into one person. Never a boring moment with him, meet him in his solitary moment, you will keep wondering if he is deaf and dumb. I never stopped wondering that it could be the source of his strength. Meet him in any sport, he rules the arena but would always wish to entertain more in the round leather. My favorite. Could it be a coincidence? His speed like the speed of electric current has been instrumental, you can now imagine what he does in track events, breaking records and setting records to the extents that he is being subjected for a drug test at a young age. Coming back home in the neighborhood with hands full with free gifts from those he entertained and some other times with trophies won.

How do I believe this tale particularly as there is nothing to me special about it? People have got special talents and his must fall among them, so. If only Thomas could leave me, hell no. I need to know more and see more, but till then let us keep enjoying his games.

These people have a way of permeating even the darkest of minds and making them align to their ways. Whether I am finding ways to just believe or that I am lead to the path of enlightenment to the fact of Laux`s uncommonness I do not know. But this time around, I think he got me tight.

Of all things, I so much adore one`s intellectual prowess but his display at that age was unimaginable and legendary. Laux can memorize a whole book 100 pages and more, the question is, would you have enough strength to stay to hear them. No wonder he has remained top of his class from grade 1 to 9 unbeaten, gaining double promotion for super intelligence.

In my usual way, “seeing is believing”, so I have heard and needed to see and even get him engaged in order to make assurance doubly sure. I had him invited to my apartment for a test on friendly basis. To have him play along and maintain the friendly tone and then spark lasting friendship. That was how I made us memorize “I have a Dream” to know who would be the first to be ready off hand. To my utmost amazement, in less than 30 minutes, my superman, I must say started rattling the whole work when I was still grappling with the first paragraph, looking to the sky and down to the earth like a fowl drinking water trying to get my lines. Looking at him with mouth agape, I never stopped being marveled, always shivering over such amazement unimaginable all my life. A pact made.

That was how Laux became my assistant in my chambers where I worked. Like best friends of special status we worked. He became my memory bank for investigation and there was no more need of an SD card. We would listen to clients together and analyze much later. And you know what, he would narrate it like a dialogue. He is really a rare character.

A character with rare and awesome capabilities, a super power we call them.

Give him time he will create another universe.

Give him materials he will invent and transcribe himself in things for efficiency.

To become a benefit for many is his goal.

I have seen and believed. There are super powers and Laux is superpower.

Meet you again on his 20th birthday for more tales of his escapades!!!

For I have seen and I have believed.

uzogod18@gmail.com

June 30, 2020 13:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Charles Stucker
10:54 Oct 01, 2020

But I hope that before that- it is best to remove that from your writing when you can. Here, you could have used, "But before such happens, I hope" this fills all the same needs in the sentence without using that. This is just a habit to form which will make your writing stronger. A believe I have earlier sworn and held- you can eliminate have - "A sworn belief I earlier held" is more common grammar. "I have always heard but not until now, I have not had the time" remove "not" before "until"- it reverses the latter not, the opposite ...

Reply

Uzonna Cyril
21:49 Oct 01, 2020

Thanks alot Charles Stucker. Your observation and correction is well taken to heart. Hope you will do same in all of my write ups. I am really grateful.

Reply

Charles Stucker
01:13 Oct 02, 2020

When you want me to look at something just put a reply in one of my stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
08:38 Jul 01, 2020

Wow, this is another great story, Uzonna. I love the way you have showcased one of the most important principles of leading life. Wonderful:) As for your request on giving feedback on 'Missing Ribs' I've already done so. Have a great day^_^

Reply

Uzonna Cyril
13:49 Jul 02, 2020

Thank you Batool for the good read.

Reply

Batool Hussain
14:33 Jul 02, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Corey Melin
02:58 Jul 01, 2020

Well done indeed. I'm more into the dialogue sense I'm a bit simple 😋 So had to concentrate to ride along on this storyline. This is not a criticize but the complete opposite. Story is similar to tje great writers of the 19th century.

Reply

Uzonna Cyril
13:34 Jul 02, 2020

Corey, it seems we are very much on paralell lines. while i struggle with dialogue, you aare good at it. maybe i will get to develop a little there. thanks for the recomemdations and appreciation. thanks

Reply

Corey Melin
13:49 Jul 02, 2020

You are welcome and if you are better at less dialogue then I'm the last to stop you. Do what is best for you to make your stories shine.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.