0 comments

Fantasy Drama Teens & Young Adult

The forest was a green blur as she rushed on; only the sounds of the retreating animals were left in her wake. She was somewhere between a dog and a cat, but more the size of a horse. Her white paws carried her smoothly across the ground while her long slender form seemed to glide between the trees. Two long tails fluttered as she moved with seemingly little resistance. 

Amelia loved running, but right now it felt more like a need. The words from the oracle had been playing on repeat all day and she just couldn’t focus on anything else. Every ethereal had a visit from the oracle at birth and, just like her, everyone wasn’t allowed to read it until they were 10.

When Amelia first read hers, it seemed weird and she didn’t really understand what it meant. Of course, she had continually tried to figure it out. Something had finally clicked this morning, but it didn’t have to be true… right?

“Right! Like Ashur’s wasn’t true and don't forget Galena’s. Nope, they are totally not true at all.” Storm, Amelia’s caeli spirit, commented.

Amelia rolled her eyes as she continued to run, “The sarcasm is not helping Storm! It can't be right though, I mean it makes absolutely no sense.” Storm didn’t respond and she continued to run through the woods. Yes, both her brother’s and her twin’s prophecies came true, but that didn’t really mean anything. There were people who didn’t fulfill theirs.

“Oh yeah? Name one.” Storm instantly challenged.

“Storm! You are not helping.” Amelia’s paws slowed as she approached her destination. In front of her stretched a large crystal blue lake. The sun reflected off the surface and threw glittering light across all the surrounding trees. The calming atmosphere gave her a quiet place where she could think and discuss things with Storm.

At the edge of the lake stood a large willow tree. Its leaves stretched slightly over the lake and created a beautiful green bubble. As she walked through its swaying branches, she released the breath that had been trapped in her lungs.

The new moon rises with a clan

After rejection of a plan

A new beginning for the heart

Fleeing from her part

The words ran through her mind once more as she moved over the side of the lake and stared down. The smooth white face of her Caeli form reflected clearly back on the water. Her blue eyes were the only things that interrupted the smooth wolf-like face. On the surface she looked calm, but her mind was a raging tempest. What does the prophecy even mean? 

“Maybe you are just ignoring the obvious Amelia.” Storm commented.

“Well, Einstein. Will you enlighten me? What about the ‘fleeing’ part? What am I fleeing from?” Amelia responded. Maybe she was being a bit harsh, but she was tired of the questions circling around and around.

“I am not sure. But shouldn’t we start with what we know and work through it?” Storm suggested.

She was probably correct in her thinking, but Amelia couldn’t help but say, “Next thing I know you will be singing Do, Re, Mi.”

Amelia could basically see Storm roll her eyes as she sang, “Let’s start at the very beginning.” Amelia’s form phased into a humanoid form, her face still white and smooth with only her eyes showing. She turned and sat against the willow, resting her forearms against her bent knees. While Storm continued, “Anyways, the words ‘Fleeing’ and ‘new start’ are obvious in their meaning.”

“Well yeah, but why would I run? My parents are great and love me. Ashur just became the chief and his wife is amazing! I have plans to go to the local university in August with all my friends. Everything here is great! I could easily meet a boy here as well and I would be willing to become a warrior for the clan, what else would I want?” Amelia’s words flooded out instantly rejecting the conclusion Storm was inferring.

This was the reasoning that kept chasing the questions about the prophecy around. Storm voiced the truth that Amelia didn’t want to admit, “Is that really true? Would you really be happy becoming “just a warrior”? You the daughter of a Chief! Your mother was the daughter of a second, it is in your blood to be a leader.”

“Maybe you’re right and I wouldn’t be happy as “just a warrior”, but I could easily become the warrior leader or even become a healer like Galena. It still doesn’t mean I have to run away from everything I have ever known.” Amelia consented.

“Mhm… whatever helps you sleep at night.” Storm’s sarcasm was thick, but before Amelia could even respond, she continued, “Well, it talks about ‘a plan’ and ‘her part’ which currently seem very unclear and open. In fact, it doesn’t really seem like you have ‘a plan’ at all.”

“Hey! That isn’t bad. Besides doesn’t that mean that there is nothing that I have to run from? So there, it is false!” Amelia declared like that solved everything.

“Not yet.” 

“Not helping.”

“Sorry, not sorry. Either way, I don't think we are going to come to a conclusion today Amelia. There is something missing, so how about we put it to the side and stop worrying about things outside of our control?” Storm suggested.

Amelia sighed and nodded her head, “You are right. There is nothing I can do about it. Race home?”

“We are the same person. It would be a tie.”

“Don’t care.”

“How about we go on a hunt?”

“Who are you, Ernest Hemingway?”

“No, I am a wolf. Did you seriously just pull a random name from english class?”

“Huh, well. I guess I should've seen that one coming and no, he was a hunter remember?” Storm snorted as Amelia pushed up to her feet and left the quiet bubble under the willow tree as her body phased and flowed back into caeli form. She managed to take maybe two steps before something ran into her side and rolled her.

Amelia’s instincts kicked in and she was instantly on her paws and facing her attacker. A red and brown caeli with chocolate eyes stood in a playful crouch. Galena’s graceful twin tails flicked slightly in challenge. Amelia instantly leaped at her twin, who dodged quickly before dashing off into the woods. As the two danced through the trees chasing each other, the prophecy was pushed into the back of Amelia’s mind. 

“Gotcha!” Amelia telepathically shouted as she finally pounced and rolled her sister. 

Galena swiftly rolled back up to her paws and stated, “Yeah, yeah, whatever. You got me this time, but it's not over yet!”

“We will see. We. will. see.” Amelia stated as her tails flicked and she slunk closer to her sister. The two circled each other for a bit before Galena launched herself forward and licked Amelia’s cheek turning toward their clan house.

Amelia paused before exclaiming, “Ewww! I am going to get you for that!” Then her white form pushed through the woods after the red caeli. This time, Galena managed to get to the house and phased into her humanoid form before Amelia could catch her. But before she could step on the porch, Amelia managed to tackle her and licked her face.

“Sweet revenge is mine!” Amelia declared while Galena tried to wiggle out from under her. It didn’t work but rather caused a dangerous glint to grow in Amelia’s blue eyes.

“No, Don't. Have mercy sister! Have mercy please!” Galena squeezed her brown eyes shut as she pleaded. Amelia leaned down and once more licked her cheek.

“Amelia! Stop torturing your sister!” Their mother telepathically called out from the porch.

Amelia glanced toward her mom before looking back at her sister declaring, “I won!” before finally getting off her. The second Galena was free, she stood up and dashed toward the house and safety.

Amelia’s form flowed into her humanoid form as she followed Galena and their mom into the house. Galena glared at Amelia as she stood by the couch with a wet face. Amelia giggled as she asked, “Did you wash your face?”

“Well, your saliva on my face is gross!” Galena defended.

“That's fine because your face didn’t taste any better.” Their eyes glared at each other for only a minute, before they broke down in a giggle fit and fell onto the couch. Once they calmed down, Amelia asked, “Avengers?” A nod sent her arm toward the remote.

Before she could grab it, their parents entered the room with a look that froze her instantly. She suddenly wished she had never left the safety of her willow tree.

“Amelia, can we talk for a bit?” Her father said as he sat down on the other couch. His professional tone of voice brought her into a straight-up sitting position. He continued when she nodded, “As you know, the strength of a clan is in its numbers and in its allies. As my daughter and sister to the new chief, part of your duty are to help strengthen this clan. That requires you to make many sacrifices over time as what is best for the clan isn’t always what we want. Your part is to make the sacrifices you need to make for the betterment of your clan.

“We have been talking with your brother about a way to unite us with the Inber clan. The chief has a son about your age, we know you haven’t met him yet but we all have and think he will be a great match for you. We talked to them, and they have agreed to the arrangement…”

Everything became foggy and distant. No. No, no, no. This could not be happening! They were not gonna marry her off to some random ethereal. The words that had circled her mind all day returned to her mind with new meaning. 

A new beginning for the heart

Fleeing from her part

October 09, 2020 01:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.