7 comments

Fantasy Adventure

Kaytlin had just found her brother and sister after being captured by this guy.

And now he had tracked them down. AGAIN. 

Great. Now, not only do I have to protect Cal, but my triplet siblings, and Celeste and Sky, too. And THEN we have to go ALL THE WAY to Death Mountain just to find a random dude to stop this guy. UGHHHHH. Daddy said I could just do all this on my own, anyway. That I’m better than Nyssa and Mirrin.

Kaytlin clenched her fists. In one was her bow. In the other was the green stone that had given her her father’s power: Revali’s Gale. She could use it if needed, however, she thought it might be helpful to try talking to the creepy stalker boy before she got her family killed.

“Avel,” Ashani began, her voice wavering a little, but her expression strong. “This all has to be a mistake. You wouldn’t, and Mother and I know it.”

“Oh, but does she?” Avel grinned, but it wasn’t a good grin. He held a purple stone in his hand, shaped in a triangle, and pointed it in front of Ash. 

Kaytlin saw Urbosa, teleported in blue light. But—her eyes weren’t right. They were a deep, swirling, hollow purple.

Ash choked back a cry, and then stepped back, horrified. She reached towards her brother, then pulled back. “Who are you? No, nevermind, what are you? What have I let you become? What did you do with Mother?”

“Kill them,” Avel snarled. 

Urbosa ran towards Ashani, and metal scimitar clanged against metal scimitar. “Get…him…” Ashani said through gritted teeth, holding back against her mother’s iron power.

Sky ran towards Avel, her bow materializing. Kaytlin used her stone to glide up into the air. Cal and Celeste stood in a defensive position, alongside Nyssa and Mirrin.

“Oh, no you don’t!” Avel cried, and more blue light filled the room. 

Zelda was the first of the Champions, other than Urbosa, to appear. Sky choked back a desperate cry, and it suddenly hit Kaytlin how much Sky loved her mother and didn’t want to hurt her. Kaytlin and her siblings would fight their father, as they had many times before, but it would hurt everyone else to fight their parents.

But it had to be done.

Kaytlin flew up and away from the fight for a moment, leaving Nyssa and Mirrin to handle Revali. She could see Celeste struggling a little against her mother. Cal’s sharp instincts fared well against Link’s, even if he, too, was struggling a touch. But Kaytlin could see that Sky was not doing well at all. She let out a desperate, depressed cry while dodging Zelda’s arrows. Kaytlin flew in a dive, equipping a shock arrow and blasting Zelda.

“Kaytlin…I…thanks,” Sky gasped.

“We’re all in the same gale,” Kaytlin said, giving her a sharp nod before flying off to face her father.

“Kaytlin! Where-” 

Kaytlin pushed Nyssa aside before she could finish her sentence. “Get away!”

“But I-” she started again.

“I said, away!” Kaytlin pushed her siblings back with a fierce whirlwind. Nyssa was pushed against the side of the room.

Kaytlin stared into her father’s eyes. They were cold and judgemental- as they always were. It was almost as if…this was normal for them.

Revali flew up and took aim at Kaytlin. She let him before quickly rolling to the side to avoid the arrow. He then equipped a second one-a bomb arrow. 

The young Rito knew from her training that those did devastating damage, so she pulled the string back on her bow to let loose some fire arrows instead. 

Revali’s bow clattered to the ground and he, too, dropped down, obviously exhausted. Kaytlin pulled her backup sword out of its sheath and pointed it at her father. Again, those cold eyes…

Kaytlin remembered the days when she was little. Those eyes, then, were full of warmth and sunshine. Until the day Link came along with his pleading princess and ruined everything…

Kaytlin resisted the urge to stab Cal instead of her father. It wasn’t him, it's not his fault…

Before she could have any more second thoughts, she plunged the sword deep into her father’s chest. The purple tinge faded from his gaze, which soon became unseeing.

Kaytlin sighed and put away her weapons, not taking a second glance at the dead Rito Champion.

“Kaytlin…” Nyssa tried, reaching out towards her sister’s arm. But Kaytlin pulled it away and instead narrowed her eyes to look for everyone else.

Avel seemed to be gone, yet she could see Ashani still breathing hard and glaring at the purple dust left behind. “Literal son of Ganondorf…” she heard her mutter, sheathing her scimitar.

Cal was looking at Sky with sympathy. The princess was crying over her mother’s body. Cal had seemed to have killed her, as his sword was covered in too much blood to just be Link’s. Link was dead, too, but not surprisingly. Cal had too much skill to die to his father’s blade.

And Celeste seemed to be the least wounded of all of them, both physically and mentally. She looked as if she didn’t have a care in the world.

Kaytlin sighed, thinking about all they’d lost.

Me, my siblings, Cal and Sky: our parents.

Ashani: her ‘brother’.

And Celeste lost Mipha.

So why isn’t she that depressed?

Kaytlin would have thought that Celeste would be wounded as well, but she seemed fine. “Why aren’t you that sad?”

“Because I wasn’t close to my mother. She was always out and about, ruling our domain. I spent most, if not all of my time with my Uncle Sidon. So, she was just another person dealing me harm.” Celeste shrugged. “If I was supposed to kill my uncle, then I’d be super sad. But you guys grew up with your parents. I didn’t.”

“Um, I beg to differ,” Cal spoke up. “My father and I really only saw each other for knight’s training.”

“I never saw Urbosa. And if I did, she treated me like another adult, possibly even a co-chief. So, I guess I should have some respect, but for some strange reason, I’m more annoyed about Avel,” Ashani sighed.

“Av…el?” Sky asked slowly. “What about…him?”

“Well, turns out he’s not my brother or Urbosa’s son. He’s Ganon’s.”

“Um.” Kaytlin blinked slowly. “Excuse me?”

“Makes sense. I never trusted him,” Cal said.

“You barely even met him!” Celeste protested.

“Oh.” Sky said. “OH.”

“Yeaaaaah.” Ashani smiled grimly. “I guess no trusting brothers?”

“I trust my brother,” Nyssa pointed out, squeezing Mirrin till he looked like he was going to pop. “He literally saved me from Revali.”

“Well, then, now that that’s done,” Kaytlin said abruptly, “Who’s ready for Death Mountain?”

********

“I think I should go,” Celeste said. “I’m good at convincing people about things.”

“I honestly can’t believe we’re still arguing over this,” Kaytlin said, rolling her eyes. “Come on, can’t all of us just go?”

“I think Sky and Cal should go,” Mirrin volunteered, “And someone else, because they will murder each other if they go alone.”

“Ashani?” Nyssa turned towards her friend.

Ashani shrugged. “Sure, I guess.”

“Come on, this mountain won’t climb itself.” Nyssa said. “Oh, and watch out for Guardians! I heard they’re everywhere lately.”

“Thanks, Nys.” Kaytlin blinked gratefully at her sister. “We’ll be careful.”

“Good luck,” Nyssa called after them.

********

“Kozom?” Ashani yelled into the house of Daruk. She heard sobs coming from the inside, yet…no big, jolly voice calling back to her. “...Daruk?”

“You lookin’ for Daruk?” a huge Goron grunted from behind Ashani, making her jump. “Name’s Blodu. Daruk’s dead.”

Cal blinked. “Um. What?”

“Not surprised. So are all the other Champions.” Sky said, strutting forward. “Princess S-wait, am I QUEEN Sky now? Ugh!”

“Blodu, who’s YELLING?!” someone yelled from the inside.

“YOU!” Blodu shouted back. “Sorry, Kozom is a little grumpy. But if you need him…you can go inside.”

“Thanks,” Cal said cheerfully. Ashani nodded respectfully before also ducking inside, and Sky smiled at the helpful Goron.

“Go away! Leave me alone! BEGONE!” The yelling continued. “I CAN HEAR YOU, YA KNOW!”

“Kozom!” Sky shouted. “Please, listen! I just need your help, to, like, save the whole world, so please don’t yell at me or throw that rock roast at me eith-”

“WHAT ABOUT MY DADDY!?” Kozom roared, flinging the roast at Sky.

“It’s to avenge him, too, I promise!” Ashani begged as a last-ditch effort.

“Oh.” Kozom looked down. “Yeah, sure, I guess.”

Cal and Sky let out relieved sighs, then instantly glared at each other. Ashani stood between the two and led Kozom out the cave, telling Blodu on the way where they were taking him. 

“Do you have a-” Cal started, but was interrupted by a red line-pointing straight at him.

“GUARDIAN!” Sky shouted, shoving him back and using her power on it. Ashani fried it with electricity, yet it was somehow still alive.

Cal shouted something in Hylian that Ashani failed to understand, before running up the Guardian’s leg and plunging his sword into its eye. The Guardian shut down, Malice floating out of it and blue light filling Ashani’s vision.

“Sky! Ashani! Kozom! Are you okay?” Cal breathed, leaning on his sword.

“Cal-” Sky started.

“You-” Ashani sputtered.

In Cal’s hand was no ordinary sword.

It was one that sealed the darkness, like Sky’s power.

In his hand–in ordinary, boring old Cal’s hand-was the legendary Master Sword.

July 05, 2022 01:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Corbin Sage
04:05 Jul 29, 2022

Hello! This story has some masterful worldbuilding that I really enjoyed. I also liked the last line, a good way to close it off.

Reply

Vera Vuscoe
21:25 Jul 29, 2022

Thanks so much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

SCREAM yes more action more 🤌

Reply

Vera Vuscoe
00:54 Jul 10, 2022

Lol yessss

Reply

Vera Vuscoe
23:00 Jul 17, 2022

Hiii it still Starlight but im now Vera instead lol

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.