Zamora Part 1: Lunar Mission

Submitted into Contest #57 in response to: Write a story about someone breaking a long family tradition.... view prompt

32 comments

Fantasy

I yawned deeply and turned to my side. I spotted my giant calendar hanging on two pins. My clothes from yesterday were lying on the floor looking rather forlorn. My markers were scattered on my study desk and I little piece of paper with my name written in different fonts. That must be from the day before yesterday when I was bored so I wrote my name to see which fonts it looked best in. I slowly got up and cuddled my silk pillow โ€“ Itโ€™s the one I got for my birthday. Another day in Zamora I grabbed the paper and stared at it for a couple of moments โ€“ specifically at my name

๐’ฅ๐“Š๐’น๐’พ๐“‰๐’ฝ

๐•๐•ฆ๐••๐•š๐•ฅ๐•™

๐Ÿ…น๐Ÿ†„๐Ÿ…ณ๐Ÿ…ธ๐Ÿ†ƒ๐Ÿ…ท

โ’ฟโ“คโ““โ“˜โ“ฃโ“—

๐™น๐šž๐š๐š’๐š๐š‘

๐‰๐ฎ๐๐ข๐ญ๐ก

๐ฃ๐”ฒฤŽฦ—๐“ะฝ

I never really liked my name. Judith. It was so incredibly weird. I was told itโ€™s so nice and unique, but I never liked it. I took one of the markers and marked a big X on todayโ€™s date. Now it was time to start cleaning my room. Which was a big task. โ€œGood morning sweety!โ€ My mum called as she saw me woken up.

โ€œHey, Mum!โ€

โ€œGoodness me Judith. Why on earth are you cleaning your room? Mother Teresa will clean it up for you, thatโ€™s what sheโ€™s for after all.โ€

โ€œMum, she does a lot for me, Iโ€™m fine doing one little taskโ€

โ€œMy, my, what has gotten into you, dear. And secondly do not call me Mum and donโ€™t use the greeting Hey. Say โ€˜Good morning motherโ€ Mum replied, saying the last part in a pure British accent.

I rolled my eyes exasperated and continued cleaning my room. Mum or โ€œMotherโ€ always taught what to do and what to say. I even had to wear fancy dresses whenever I went outside. Not to mention my giant bed. The only thing I liked about it was the amount of silk on it, and I loved silk itโ€™s just so soft and smooth. Iโ€™m not saying I donโ€™t love how much I have, itโ€™s just that it makes me feel like a spoiled brat. Am I a spoiled brat? Iโ€™d want to say no, so I think Iโ€™m not.

ย You see if you already havenโ€™t figured, Iโ€™m part of a royal family and the only princess in it. So, itโ€™s obvious Iโ€™ll get all the attention, but I donโ€™t want it. I just want to go to school like any other student, not be home-schooled. I just wanted to wear a pair of baggy pants and maybe a tank top like other girls my age, not fancy little dresses and long coats all day long. I finally finished with my room cleaning and I headed off to change. I could get out of this tight pajama set. I wish I could sleep in an onesie or a t-shirt and shorts, but no, even at night I have to look sleek and ready for anythingโ€ฆ Great!... Ugh! Why me!? How could I forget, this was all part of tradition anyway. Iโ€™ve always hated traditions. They're always soโ€ฆ I donโ€™t know how to explain it, I just hate them. And the royal family has even more family traditions than usual people might have. Like, you canโ€™t eat a single grain of rice after the king (My dad) finished his supper or dinner. I sometimes have to beg my parents to eat slower so that I can finish my food โ€“ I'm a slow eater! Iโ€™ve already like broken so many traditions already. I donโ€™t even remember how many I follow. Maybe likeโ€ฆ 0? Even though I live such a good life, I still have many restrictions. Like I canโ€™t go out of the castle or the garden patches around it. So, no one had seen me or even heard me. I donโ€™t like not talking to my villagers. It makes me really annoyed. Like if I want to be a good ruler, I need to know how to talk to my villagers!

On top of all these awful traditions, I hate one a lot. And I hate this one a lot because it includes me in it. In fact, itโ€™s all about me. Itโ€™s exactly going to be on the day of the lunar eclipse. It has to be done by every princess or โ€˜future to be queen/kingโ€™ and at the age of 15 which I'm going to turn this year. Itโ€™s only done in Zamora which is the realm we live in. Itโ€™s a lot like earth but moreโ€ฆ fantasy? I canโ€™t say I havenโ€™t gone to earth, not even outside my castleโ€ฆ I guess itโ€™s a fantasy for you but for us, itโ€™s nature. Itโ€™s what we have lived in since we were born. The only difference is, we have way more animal species like dragons and unicorns and many more. So, what I have to do on the lunar eclipse is fly to another realm (By the help of my alicorn) which is like our realm but doesnโ€™t have civilization. Itโ€™s a place made for the royals and especially me in this context. So back to the topic, I have to go there and complete three tasks, which we call the โ€˜Lunar missionโ€™ If I pass them, Iโ€™m allowed to be the future queen, if not then I cannot be the queen instead Marissa, who is the sole queen of ANOTHER realm will take over. I donโ€™t like her. No one does. She has been trying to take over our kingdom for years. And since my dad has protected us from her curse so well, she canโ€™t curse us physically, but her powers are so strong, that she created these tasks and we have to complete them if we want to keep ruling the kingdom. Who knows what she will do if she takes overโ€ฆ? So now all the focus is on me. Everyone expects me to complete those three tasks and keep our kingdom safe.

***

I came down the hall to have my breakfast. It was different from usual; everyone was eyeing me. Oh yeah probably because of what happened earlier with Mum. Oops, sorry โ€˜Motherโ€™. But thatโ€™s happened loads of time, they always forget it, what happened this time?

โ€œUmm, Heyโ€ฆโ€ I tried starting a conversation

Silence.

Okay.

Fine.

Letโ€™s take a different approach, shall we!

โ€œHey! Ooo, I love pancakes! My favourite arenโ€™t they!? I bet yours tooโ€

Silence again.

Okay, something is up. They are never like this. Maybe I should just ask them straight up what going on.

โ€œSo, umm... everything fine?โ€ I tried

โ€œMhmโ€ Dad mumbled

โ€œOkayโ€ฆ you know what, imma just gonna ask you straight up whatโ€™s goin on. So, why are you staring at me?โ€ I asked

โ€œHoney, I told you Judith would realize, why do we have to keep it from her? Letโ€™s tell herโ€ Mum started talking to Dad.

โ€œOkay hold up, I think I asked the question here so please answer me.โ€ I infuriated

Dad stopped โ€˜faking to be interested in a pictureโ€™ and mum stopped looking at the roof. Oh no. I knew from that moment they were going to break something bad to me. โ€œdarling, lookโ€ Dad started

โ€œYesโ€ฆ I'm listeningโ€ I continued

โ€œSo, we just got the dates for when the lunar eclipse is.โ€

WHAT! NO! OKAY MAKES A LOT OF SENSE WHY THEY WERE BEHAVING LIKE THAT! OH NO, I'M ITโ€™S NEARLY TIME!

I looked back at him astonished, surprised, scared, nervous, โ€ฆ everything! I couldnโ€™t believe it was nearly time for theโ€ฆ Lunar mission!

โ€œWhat? Itโ€™s time? How! Iโ€™m not ready! I told you! I told you we had to practice! Why donโ€™t you listen to me? whyyyy?โ€

โ€œJudith! Calm down, Hun. Look, we have no idea what Marissa has planned. It could be anything from a sword fight to solving riddles. We. Have. No. Idea.

I let out loud groan. My life was officially overโ€ฆ

โ€œWait, I forgot to tell you what even the date isโ€

โ€œPlease donโ€™t Iโ€™d rather not knowโ€

โ€œDarling, you have to get mentally prepared we have to tell you. Umm, so itโ€™s kind of tomorrowโ€

I shot my face up and it was no longer slouching sadly. Now I KNEW I was dead.

โ€œWhat?! No!โ€

โ€œI know itโ€™s a lot for you to take in, but you have to do this, itโ€™s importantโ€

โ€œI know itโ€™s important. But dad. Mum. Will I be able to do this?โ€ I considered

โ€œYes. We know youโ€™ll be fine. Youโ€™re a great leader.โ€

I smiled at them and then hugged them both tightly. Now thatโ€™s what I call an amazing family. Anyway, I better get passed this day and tomorrow get passed this tradition. And this time, itโ€™s a tradition I really cannot break.

August 30, 2020 12:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

32 comments

Awesome story! It's very descriptive and has a great start! ๐Ÿ˜‰ -SS

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply

Should I rename this story as the Lunar mission guys? Or keep it, Zamora? I feel like the Lunar mission is like the main objective... So you tell me!

Reply

Either is fine actually! The Lunar Mission talks of the story's main aim but Zamora pops out as well!

Reply

Okay, I guess I'll keep it, Zamora, then!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
D. Shikha
12:18 Sep 02, 2020

Nice story, Rachel!! I loved it!! Waiting for part 2. Stay safe & keep writing:) ~D

Reply

Ofc! Thank you :D

Reply

D. Shikha
01:56 Sep 03, 2020

You're welcome!! Would you mind checking out my first story?

Reply

Show 0 replies

Just commented ;)

Reply

D. Shikha
06:45 Sep 04, 2020

Thanks:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
22:46 Sep 01, 2020

A lovely story! I loved the fantasy bit

Reply

. .
00:53 Sep 02, 2020

Np

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
01:56 Aug 31, 2020

Wow, this was AMAZING! I loved how creative it is! Also, I think the name "Zamora" is a good name. Great job!

Reply

Thank you so much! I'm working on part two at the moment :D

Reply

Avery G.
02:01 Aug 31, 2020

You're welcome! Yay!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
16:34 Aug 30, 2020

Hey, I'll read this in a sec, but TAURUS BUDDIESSS

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:21 Aug 30, 2020

I really enjoyed this!! It was a very sweet story and the ending was perfect. I loved that beginning, too, when you had a creative way of introducing her names (and using fonts ๐Ÿ˜)! Awesome jobbbb, Rachel! ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›, ~Aerin

Reply

Thanks! I went for a creative way to introduce her name. I'm happy it worked

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Syeda Fatima
07:15 Sep 09, 2020

a very lovely story just like your profile picture. keep writing! love the introduction and the unique name!

Reply

Awwww TY! Yeah, my profile picture is an Anime, and I really like it. Thanks! I went for the unique name - I wanted it to stand out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Blair Summer
22:13 Aug 30, 2020

This is a great story! Really enjoyed the fantasy in this. Iโ€™m a fan of fantasy myself!

Reply

Happy you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zea Bowman
01:48 Sep 22, 2020

Wow! I was truly captivated by this story! Your descriptions were amazing, and the words seemed to flow together. You really have a knack for writing! Could you please come read a story (or stories) of mine? Thanks! Keep up the good work! :)

Reply

Thank you! Sure :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bailey Star
04:41 Sep 12, 2020

Woww! Loved it ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.