6 comments

Romance Sad Friendship

Have you ever thought of ‘The ONE?’ The one who will understand you, the one who will love you till death, the one who comforts you when you are sad, the one who…


‘The Harper Sisters! This is the library not a fishmarket! Please maintain decorum here!’ Ms Woodward ,the librarian said sternly

‘Sorry Ms Woodward’ says Rose bowing her head down slightly

“Wait why are you saying all these deep words all of a sudden, I was gone for 2 years what the hell happened?!”, Belle asked confused by her sister’s sudden dramatic words.


Rose sighs deeply and says “Let me explain”


*Flashback to the sophomore year of college*


She paced through the roads in her car, already late for the first year back in college. She didn’t know what was in store for her this time around, She parks the car beside a black cadillac.


She hurriedly rushes through the hallways, and barges into the classroom and all of a sudden all the eyes are on her, which causes her to shift uncomfortably in her position


‘Ahh Ms Harper! How nice of you to join us today’ said Professor Fox sarcastically.


To which Rose just sheepishly smiled and then she took the last empty seat which was next to a boy who was sleeping with his head in his arms on the desk. The boy, then sleepily gets up wondering who the beautiful girl is sitting next to him. A brunette with blue eyes, a girl wearing a yellow sundress with flowers and her hair in a matching bandana. All in all a true piece of beauty.


The boy, a handsome young man with emerald green eyes, He is wearing black jeans with a white t-shirt and a leather jacket around him, his brown hair ruffled but making him look as charming and handsome as ever. Nothing like Rose’s ever met before.


She broke the silence by savagely saying ‘‘Take a picture it’ll last longer, creep!’’

‘‘I wasn’t staring!’ He denies the comment immediately but a slight pink hue rose to his cheeks.

‘Sure.’ she says with a slight smirk on her face.


She turned her attention back to the teacher but Grey couldn’t stop staring at her.

The fact that she was one of the most beautiful woman he had ever seen was an understatement. This girl was a goddess, and without knowing he had fallen for her since the very first moment he saw her.


*Flashback to the Present moment*


Woah, this guy sounds pretty cute… are you still with him now?’ Belle asks interested.


At those words, tears filled Rose’s eyes


She suddenly had a flashback of everything that had happened the past year. All those memories she made, All those tears she shed, All the people she gained and All the ones she lost on the way.

The past year had been painfully bitter for her, the chaotic rush and the feelings she felt… she wouldn’t have it any other way.


‘No, I’m no more with him’ said Rose

‘Aww… What happened?’ Belle asked


*Flashback*


The three girls were walking through the crowded hallway, chatting and laughing amongst themselves.

‘So how’s ‘Grose’ doing?’ Ava asked wiggling her eyebrows.

‘What the heck is ‘Grose’, Ava’ Kyrah asked confused

‘You know ‘Grose’ Grey+Rose’ Ava said with a ‘wasn’t it obvious face’

‘You seriously couldn’t get a better ship name’

‘Well then you trying finding a ship name with the names Gray and Rose’

‘Okay fine you win’


‘But anyways how are you and Grey doing?’ Ava asked Rose

‘We are doing fine, he is not at all how he seems to be, he is actually really sweet and kind’ a smile lighted up Rose’s face at the thought of him.


‘So have you started dating yet?’ Kyrah asked

‘Guys, we’re just friends and nothing more than that’ Rose said trying to deny what her friends were saying, but deep down even she knew she had caught feelings for the boy, she was just too clueless to realize it.


After talking with her friends for some more time, Rose made her way to the college’s lawn.


She seated herself below the shade of a tree, she opened her bag and searched for her laptop and books, put her earphones on and then immediately got to work.


The paper she was writing for her literature class had her attention completely, that she did not notice the boy in black sneaking up on her, with the intention of scaring her.


‘BOO!’ Grey said


To which she responded with a terrified shrill scream,


‘Oh my god! that scared the hell out of me’ She said still in shock.

‘WHY.WOULD.YOU.DO.THAT’ She said hitting him after every word.


The boy started laughing out loud,


‘Is my pain funny for you, you sadistic person'. She said trying to look angry at him, but failed terribly as she ended up looking adorable.

‘You know you can’t look angry right?’

‘Why not?!’

‘Cos’ you look adorably cute’ Grey said

Rose blushed at his comment.


Grey smiled at her and broke the silence by saying ‘Anyway… I came here to ask you about something’

‘What is it?’ Rose asked back.

‘I wanted to ask you if you wanted to go on a date with me, Its okay if you don-’ Grey was cut off by Rose saying ‘I do’

Grey asked back ‘Really?!’

She said ‘Yup!’ she softly smiled

‘K, great… so see you at 7?’

‘Yeah, 7 is fine’

‘Also, wear something comfortable like pajamas or something, I know you don’t like fancy dates.’

'Sure' she replied


Grey then walked away, whereas Rose ran to her friends


‘Guyss! Guys!!’ Rose screamed

‘What?!’ said Ava and Kyrah together

‘You wont believe what just happened!’ Rose said full of excitement

‘What happened?’ asked Ava

‘Grey asked me out on a date!’ Rose said blushing slightly

‘AHHHHHHHHHHH!!’ screamed Ava

‘Grose is real!’ Ava screamed

‘Ava you’ve really got to find another name, ‘Grose’ is a terrible ship name!’ said Kyrah

‘But girl, I’m soo excited for you.. did he tell anything about the date?’ asked Kyrah

‘Yeah, well he said to wear pajamas cos he knows I don’t like fancy dates and he asked me to be there at his place by 7’ Rose said,

‘Well good luck to you girl! Tell me how it went tomorrow said Kyrah

‘Sure, see you guys tomorrow!’ said Rose


Next Day at college,


‘Rose! Rooseeeeeeee! How did it go?!’ asked Ava excitedly

‘Yeah how did it go?!!’ asked Kyrah

‘Guys! Chill! It was good.’ said Rose

‘What did you guys do?!’ asked Ava in a hyper manner

‘Well we watched a movie under a blanket fort made by him.’ said Rose slightly blushing.

‘Well, which movie did you guys watch? Did you sleep at his house? Did you guys do anything else? Did he drop you back home?!’ asked Ava bombarded Rose with questions.

‘Avaa!! CALM DOWN! I’ll tell you, well watched ‘The Notebook’ I slept at his house with him. Today morning he left me a cup of coffee and plate of pancakes for breakfast and left a note next to it’ said Rose relishing all the fun she had yesterday.

‘Aww! I’m fangirling over you guys now. You guys are soo cute! I ship y’all I’m the official shipper. YAAY!’ screamed Ava

Rose slightly blushed at her comment

Kyrah said ‘Calm down Ava. Your date sounds dope, but what did he write on the note?’

‘Umm.. I have it with me.’ said Rose


‘Show us please!’ said Ava pulling her best puppy face.

Rose opened her bag pulled out the note and handed it to them.


They took the note and read it. The note said:


‘Good Morning Love, Hope you had a good sleep. You were sleeping soundly. Was kinda cute to see you. Well I left for basketball practice, but I left you a cup of coffee and chocolate chip pancakes. The key is next to the pot. I know you don’t have clothes so I left one of my sweatshirts and my sister’s leggings, you can wear that. When you come take the key, lock the door, and hand the key to me when you come to class. Bye❤’


Reading the note made Ava’s and Kyrah heart melt and be a tad bit jealous of Rose.


‘Girl, you are soo lucky! Such a lovely guy… you should go with him more often. Did you give him the key’ said Kyrah

‘Thanks, I was thinking too. All of the rest of my classes are with him, so I’ll give him the key’

‘Speaking of classes, I have bio! I have to go! Byee!’ said Rose as she waved to her friends and went to her class.


As soon as she entered class, she saw Grey sitting in the back she waved and ran up to him and said


‘Hey! Here’s the key!’ said Rose slightly panting

‘Hello! Thanks!’ he said as took the key from here and put it in his bag

She took as seat right next to him and said ‘Thanks for yesterday, it was really fun.’

He replied back ‘My pleasure!

She replied; ‘Also by the way your sweatshirt is really comfy and thanks to your sis for the leggings’

He replied ‘Haha, yeah its pretty big for you but you look like a teddy bear who needs a hug, for the leggings I’ll tell my sister’

‘Yeah well I don’t mind getting a hug’ she said, making her best puppy face.

‘Aww… come here’ he said, opening his arms out for her to climb in.


She gladly accepted it and climbed in, he hugged her tightly and she dug her face into his chest and took a deep breath inhaling his scent.


(Back to the present)

‘This ‘Grey’ guy seems like an angel, and everything seems to have been going fine with the both of you, so what in the world went wrong?’, Belle asked confused but at the same time interested.


Rose almost started crying thinking about it all, but she held those tears back reminding herself to not cry over the person who made her like this.


‘Because…I end up loving the person who hurt me the most’ Rose responded with sadness evident in her face.


Belle looked at her sister with consolation and empathy, while Rose exhaled a shaky breath and then started telling the story of the day it all came crashing down.


To be continued...



(I couldn't put the whole story here, so I posted half of it. The rest will be posted in the comments section, so be sure to check that out. Feedbacks and comments always appreciated!)

April 29, 2021 18:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Arthur Alexander
19:00 Apr 29, 2021

So here's Part 2: ‘Because…I end up loving the person who hurt me the most’ Rose responded with sadness evident in her face. Belle looked at her sister with consolation and empathy, while Rose exhaled a shaky breath and then started telling the story of the day it all came crashing down. *Flashback* Grey’s POV: I woke up slightly panting, getting bad dreams of all those bad memories. A few years ago, I was in a relationship with a girl named Amelia, our relationship was out of this world, like nobody could ever break us….but one night, we...

Reply

Angelina Jeong
05:03 May 28, 2021

so amazing!

Reply

Arthur Alexander
06:50 May 30, 2021

Thank You So Muchh!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Angelina Jeong
05:03 May 28, 2021

This is so well written!

Reply

Arthur Alexander
06:51 May 30, 2021

Thank you! I've read a few of your stories and they're soo good! I'm sure you'll be a great writer in the future! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pahani Wijeratne
17:59 Dec 26, 2023

Hey:)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.