0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Friendship

As I was pouring myself a cup of tea this morning, I was the dear in my back yard. I have only lived here for a few years but every morning they show up. I have never been able to get close enough to touch them. Every time I tried, they must have smelled my scent and ran. I build a cabin in the middle of a hundred acres of wood land I purchased from an old friend. My old friend was named Tony I used to visit him quite often when he owned it. Tony lived to be the ripe old age of eighty- eight. He was Dieng of cancer when he sold it to me. I had known him most of my life and quite often we would sit on the front porch and have tea together. I can still remember the conversations we had. We talked about anything and everything. The old guy didn't have any family to speak of. At least none he talked about. I really don't think to many people even knew he lived here. Even when he was sick, he was always doing something. He told me more than once he had to keep his mind busy, so he didn't think about stuff so much. Life is just mind over matter he would say. If it doesn't bother, my mind, then it doesn't matter.

When Tony died, I was the only one at his funeral. If it wasn't for me, he would have left this world alone. Sometimes late at night when I'm sitting on the porch, I can hear his voice laughing when the wind blows. At first that used to scare me I thought I was being haunted by his ghost but I'm pretty sure they are not real. At least I didn't think so. Since I've lived here every so often something strange would happen. Things that I couldn't explain. On a cold winter night, I would wake up to a warm cabin because the fire had already been started. Or I would go outside to split firewood and find that the woodshed was full. I finally got to the point I would just laugh it off and thank Tony for his help. Life is good up here in the woods I've learned to be quite self- sufficient I grow my own food or hunt for it. I found one of Tony's recipe books. There are recipes for everything that walked or crawled and some I never heard of. In the summer when the weather is nice there is a huge pond not far from here. It's takes me almost an hour by foot. I have never left there without bringing something home. Fried fish just makes my mouth water that is one of my favorite foods. Along with it I would make some homemade fries. Sometimes when I go into town, I would pick up some beer and place it in my cooler to take home. There is no electric at the cabin so I can only keep it cold for so long. But life is good. It took me most of my life to learn that. Many things I don't have any control over. I'm not responsible for anything beyond the end of my nose. I've had to deal with a lot of things in my life but thanks to my dear friend Tony, he taught me how to get through them.

Sometimes I wonder what he is doing in heaven. He is probably looking down at me smiling. At least that is what I hope he is doing. One thing he never told me was why he even build the cabin. I guess the topic was never brought up. Or maybe he just ignored it. To be honest I don't really remember. It doesn't really matter anyway. Life is too short to worry about things like that. Tony died twelve years ago. I took over the cabin about a year later. Tony did do a smart thing he put it in his will that I could buy the property for a dollar. Since there wasn't a probate, the deal went over smooth.

I love it when a plan comes together. Especially this one. The live I had before was nothing but misery. I had been married three times. My ex- wife's hate me. My children don't what anything to do with me. I guess that falls under it is what it is. I don't have to like it I just have to except it. Acceptance is the key to a good life. And believing in yourself when no one else does. I know deep down I'm a good person. And I also I've made my share of mistakes. And also burned a lot of bridges I can't repair. At least if I live alone, I can't hurt anybody with words I don't mean. Words cut deeper than any knife. And the pain takes a lot longer to heal. And sometimes it never does. All I can do is pray for them and wish them the best. I never knew how to pray until I met Tony. I caught him praying one day and I thought he was crazy. Crazy or not it helps me get through the bad times. They seem to get fewer and fewer now a days. I find peace a tranquility here in my wooded paradise. The animals of the forest have become my friends. There are times when I sit outside a squirrel, or a stray rabbit would come up to me a pay a visit. Some of them would let me pet them and others wouldn't. I can't help but wonder what goes through their heads. They live in the woods with not a worry in the world. Living their life one day at a time.

Sometimes I feel bad when i have to hunt to feed myself. But that is why God put them on this earth. My life is good thanks to my friend Tony. May he rest in peace....

January 08, 2022 02:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.