The Misfortune of Saul

Submitted into Contest #152 in response to: Set your story in an oracle or a fortune teller’s parlor.... view prompt

1 comment

Historical Fiction Suspense Christian

As the morning sun rose in the east, its rays illuminated the damage caused by the previous night’s escapades. I can’t believe that drunk did so much damage in such a short time, Deborah mumbled under her breath. She righted an upturned table in the center of the room and began to cackle. I need to be more careful next time. I don’t want to be caught cheating customers while I’m trying to conjure spirits. If some drunken fool could see the thread attached to my lamp, then who knows who else could have seen it? She placed the lamp back on the table and inspected the thread. I don’t need any more unexpected expenses. Deborah felt the pains of age in her fingers as she fondled the thread. I’m getting too old for this séance business. If my bodyguards didn’t stop him, he might have broken me along with my table.

She picked up the rest of the debris off the floor. Maybe I should just pack it in and live with my oldest son. He’s been begging me for years to quit deceiving everyone. So why do I keep doing it? Playfully, she shrugged her shoulders. It’s simple. People want to be deceived. So, I do it.

At that moment, the sound of approaching footsteps broke her concentration. As Deborah turned to see who it was, she found herself facing a stranger. The look of disgust on his face was plain for anyone to see and made her wary of this man. But way he was dressed told her he was a man of wealth and since he was standing in front of her now, he would be willing to part with some of it. Deborah pasted a friendly smile on her face. The battle was about to begin. “Good morning, sir. What may I do for you?”

“You’re a medium. You should know the answer.”

Deborah wasn’t fazed by his barb. “I don’t need to be a medium to know what the answer is. There’s only one reason why you came here. The questions are in the details, and the answers to those depend on how much you have to spend.”

The stranger laughed. “You’re quick witted and not afraid of the unknown. I believe you’re the answer to my dilemma.” An evil smile spread across his face. “I have an unusual request for you. I have a client who wishes the services of a medium. He’s in great despair and desires to be consoled.”

“There’s nothing unusual about that, sir. This is almost a daily chore for me.”

“I don’t want you to console him though,” he replied. “I want you to bring more despair to him. Tell him there’s no hope. No future. I want him broken beyond repair. Word has it you are very convincing, and silver can keep your lips sealed. So, I ask you, can you do this for me?”

Deborah considered the stranger’s request before putting her hand out, and palm up. “It depends.”

He placed two silver pieces in her hand.

Silently, she left her hand out.

Two more pieces joined the first.

Deborah put the coins in her pocket. “When can I expect you to bring this person to me?”

“He won’t be coming. You’ll go to him. Be ready by midday.”

“If you want a good performance, I’ll need information. Who is he, what does he want, and what does he do?” she asked.

“You just need to know one thing,” he said. “He’s King Saul.”

***

Pacing back and forth, Saul was at his wit’s end. Why me, he thought. Why did God abandon me? I regret what I did at Amalek, so why don’t I hear His voice? No dreams, and even my prophets are silent. I’m like a blind man, alone in the middle of the desert.

As King Saul wallowed in his sorrows, a servant entered his room. “Sire, General Abner has returned.”

Saul jumped to his feet. “Quick! Send him in.” He watched as Abner entered. “Did you find a medium?” he blurted out.

“Yes, Sire,” he said. “She’s in a tent on the outskirts of the encampment. As you requested, she doesn’t know anything about what’s expected of her or who she’s meeting.”

Saul smiled. “Excellent. Go to her and tell her I’ll be there shortly. I need to change into some common clothing.” As soon as Abner left, Saul slipped on a simple tunic. He scampered out the door and moments later, arrived at the medium’s tent.

Saul opened the flap of a tent nestled alone on the outskirts of the army’s camp. It was dark except for a single oil lamp glowing on a table. When his eyes grew accustomed, he saw a woman sitting in front of the light and Abner standing on the far side of the enclosure.

“Don’t be afraid,” she said. “Come closer.” Saul walked to the edge of the table and sat down across from her. “I’m Deborah,” she continued. “I’m here at the request of your friend.”

The woman doesn’t know who I am, he thought. So, he excused her demand to approach her.

She watched him gaze at her. “I see that your aura is in great distress. Perhaps I can talk to the spirits near you and see why.”

“Yes, please do. I need answers to my questions.”

“Yes, yes. I understand. Give me a moment of silence so I can concentrate.”

As Deborah closed her eyes, Saul’s attention suddenly snapped to the oil lamp. Did it move?

With the sound of thunder, Deborah’s hand slammed on the table, and she gasped, “You’re King Saul! Why have you come before me? You know I’m not a believer in your god. Have you come to do away with me?”

To Saul, her realization confirmed her authenticity as a medium. How else could she have known who I am? “My dear lady, I swear by my name and by my God, I wish you no harm. I’m only looking for consultation from one who departed from this earth. I’m begging you for help in this matter.”

Deborah pretended to calm down. Then, she asked, “Who do you wish for me to conjure?”

“The prophet Samuel,” he uttered. “Conjure Samuel for me.”

As Saul watched Deborah close her eyes and whisper to herself, an unexpected flicker of the candle drew his attention. It moved, he thought. It’s no longer at the center of the table. While Saul’s eyes were fixed on the candle, Deborah groaned, “Someone approaches.”

The candle was forgotten, and Saul cried out, “Is it Samuel? What does he look like?”

Deborah moaned again. “I see an old man. He is dressed in a robe. His face is of one who was abruptly awoken.”

“It must be Samuel,” he said. “Ask him why God has forsaken me.”

“Samuel says you already know the answer to that. He asks why you summoned him. Don’t you seek enough counsel without my help?”

“Please, kind lady, ask Samuel this. I’m about to face the Philistines in battle. Will I win, and will my family be safe?”

Deborah’s face became crestfallen. “By sunset tomorrow, the sons of Israel will be in the hands of the Philistines. Your sons will be dead, and you will lie in a pool of your own blood. There is nothing you can do to change this. I’m sorry.”

Saul collapsed and fell to the floor, mourning the predestined loss of his sons. Touched by the show of his raw emotions, Deborah had an assistant bring some food, and she coaxed King Saul to eat some. “You need to eat, Sire. You must be strong. If not for yourself, then for those you serve.”

Saul saw the wisdom in this and ate. Soon after, Deborah excused herself, and Abner followed, leaving King Saul alone.

Abner caught up with the woman and handed her five pieces of silver. “You did a fine job back there.”

Reluctantly, she took the money. “Don’t come looking for me anymore,” she said. “I’ve had enough of this business to last three lifetimes. Find someone else to do your dirty work.” She left Abner standing there and returned home. As soon as Deborah walked inside, she packed her things.

The following day, she left to live with her son, never returning to her old way of life. As for King Saul, the sun never set for him again, leaving David to become the King of Israel. 

June 28, 2022 18:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Howard Seeley
19:38 Jun 28, 2022

A commonly overlooked section in the Old Testament, is brought to life.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.