The House of Inner Demons

Submitted into Contest #64 in response to: Write a ghost story where there’s more going on than it first appears.... view prompt

21 comments

Coming of Age Suspense

It felt like there were spiders crawling all over me. The heavy glass door rolled open with ever such silence, like some kind of unseen force was standing there to open it. I was there. This was home now.

The faltering daylight cast shadows in imitation of every shape of every object in the place. My throat twitched. The hanging lamp above the oval dining room table was gently swinging, I guess because the house was settling again. I pulled the chain to turn it on, my imagination expecting to see anything. I listened and held my breath. 

The clip clop of the antique clock's pendulum around the corner in the den was like drops of water hitting my forehead. She must have wound it up right before she left. If she left. That was what I always hated about this house. I always knew I could never escape from her presence. And that was why I wanted out of here as soon as possible. 

One lone cricket chirped somewhere outside in the distance. Soon there would be millions, bellowing a deafening chorus of demonic, high-pitched laughter. That was another thing about her: Everything was demonic. It was her obsession. After all these years, I couldn't help but wonder if she herself was one of them.

 I dared not disturb the back bedroom. 

"That's where Grandpa keeps his guns."

The door was always closed, and even now that Grandpa was long gone - his ashes scattered and his guns passed on to my father - the door remained closed. I wasn't about to touch the knob to find out if it would turn, for fear she might be standing right behind me. The house, with its twenty acres of untamed farm land, was supposedly mine now. But it didn't feel like it, and I knew it never would.

I crept past the furniture in the stagnant "living room", needing fresh air and a change of scenery. Why she called this a living room, I've never known and always been afraid to ask. It looked like a snap shot of a house scene from the fifties. The giant box television set, with its carved wooden casing, never once was used as far as I know. The room was always kept immaculate, though no one ever sat on any of the sofas, turned on any of the lamps, nor opened the mustard-yellow door except to go sit on the porch swing.

I closed it behind me, feeling lighter as I sat down on grandpa's favorite chair and began to move to-and-fro. The wood was charcoal-gray now and starting to rot, and the supports were caked with rust. I knew one of these days the whole thing would come crashing down, taking what few happy memories I have of being here with it. I tried to do as grandpa always did: gazing out at the overgrown remnants of his favorite garden while ignoring grandma's rock garden.

I couldn't avoid it. Her ceramic cherubs burned through me with their cold eyes and white bodies, always seeming deliberately placed where they were. Guilt and shame coursed through my conscience as the day grew darker.

You're just like your sister: Wicked and ungrateful! The Bible says to honor your grandparents. You are failing Jesus!

That shrieking, medicine-scented voice tore at the interior of my mind as I stood in the den - the real living room - fighting to convince myself that these were just artificial flowers. I'll never forget the smile. It was an intentional smile; I just know it.

What, did you think someone was watching you? You have absolutely nothing to fear in here, Timothy. Grandma won't let anything happen.

I was that seven-year old child all over again. My chilled fingers shook as I sprinted over to the light switch on the wall. In the bright light, they were indeed just flowers. Lovely, innocent colors. The angular vase was nothing more than a vase, sitting thoughtfully-placed atop the window sill as always. But in the dimness of the setting sun, they always looked exactly like her: Her face was angular and pale. Bloodless. Her hair was as bushy as the flowers were. Her eyes were so wide they almost glowed in the dark. Always fixed on me, as if she were readying herself to chase me if I attempted to escape.

There would be no sleep tonight, and possibly never. 

Clip! Clop! Clip! Clop!

I could never be certain if it was the clock or someone's steps. I knew coming here would be a mistake, but my options were limited. I was twenty-two, with nothing but a meager job at a retail store for income.

Jesus lived a simple life, and so will you!

She had promised me my whole life that I would receive this place as a gift when I turned eighteen. It kept me going to church with her three times a week, doing anything to please her. I had no intentions of actually living here. My plan was to sell the house and land to someone with nerves of steel - someone more fit than I. That would give me the money I needed to learn a trade and get off to the right start with my adulthood.

Our argument last week still haunted me. She prides herself on her selfless Christian love; yet I had never seen her more quaking with hostility. It ended with the promise that she would honor her word finally after four years of the runaround. I had to get away from that apartment. I had to physically get away from her, and this was my only chance.

She would be here tomorrow to load up all of these horrid objects she adores so much. The mere thought of her physical presence made me churn. So did the thought of that shrieking voice. At least maybe with the objects gone, the house would seem brighter.

The air became thick. The crickets fell silent. The clock sounded off eleven deep, skin-penetrating chimes. Then the entire room went black. I could hear my shallow breath. I whipped around in circles in fruitless struggle to see anything I could use as a reference point to find my way to the front door.

Be good, my little children

For Jesus is the Way

Honor your elders

Each and every day

The high-pitched humming was needles to my eardrums. The words to the hymn inflicted worse pain than any tongue-lashing, and she knew it. I couldn't believe the nerve: Hiding in my house! If this was how it was going to be, I wanted out. I didn't care where I went; anything was better than this!

I slugged at buttons on my car key. The headlights flashed into the room like streaks of nearby lightning, illuminating a smiling, calloused face. The bushy, peppered hair that always reminded me of Medusa's snakes sent waves of iciness up and down my back.

I couldn't let you do it, Timothy. You need me! You're nothing without me, you hear? I will not lose you to Satan the way I lost the rest of my family!

As she jerked the car keys out of my hand, angry, helpless tears covered my face in a cold sweat. That was when it happened...

It started as a vague vapor. White as a lone cloud on a sunny day. As it fluctuated in-between us, it settled into a large, roughly round shape that I recognized. His facial features took form, and gradually he became the kind, caring spirit I had always pictured him to be since his passing.

At first, her unnerving smile softened to match his. But quickly, she backed away, seething in a lungful of fear and hatred.

In the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, I command thee return to the Lake of Fire wherest thou belong!

Grandpa's spirit ignored her witchy-sounding demands. I knew the seriousness in his eyes. I knew the word he was silently whispering to me: Go!

As she paced around the den in a frenzied dance, screaming gibberish at what she firmly believed to be her late husband's Godless impostor, I flung the glass door open and ran.

Timothy! Timothy! Come back! Grandma needs you!

The voice ricocheted off the tree trunks as they became a blur in my field of vision. I felt guilty, I felt ashamed. But I knew for once that I was not wicked. And as I looked back to see she had dropped to the ground with her head shaking and hands covered over her face, more than anything, I felt sad.

October 18, 2020 18:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

21 comments

Stacey Fryman
22:37 Oct 31, 2021

I felt as is I was actually in the "living room" with you!

Reply

Gip Roberts
20:38 Nov 01, 2021

Wow, thank you, Stacey! You didn't have to go to the trouble of creating an account here, but since you're here, I hope you'll write a story some time. If not, it's still well worth it just as a reader. There are stories from other Reedsy authors that make mine look amateur.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Writers Block
23:55 Jun 01, 2021

Great imagery and sound effects! The sensation of spiders caught my eye!

Reply

Gip Roberts
19:37 Jun 02, 2021

Thanks for taking a look at that one. I'm kind of like you: I get a lot of my writing inspiration from real life events, usually ones that have actually happened to me. The part about the ghost was entirely fictional, but I really did have a grandmother who was every bit as twisted as the one in the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathy Roberts
22:02 Nov 04, 2020

You definitely built the tension in this story.It made me feel like I was living in the middle of it.It was scary and showed how some people use religion in an attempt to control others.

Reply

Gip Roberts
22:07 Nov 04, 2020

Thank you for reading it. I'm sort of just ready to move on from Halloween after writing this one :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Metaxia Tzimouli
14:04 Oct 30, 2020

What a horrible woman the Grandma is/was! Good, eerie read though. You set the mood, kept the suspense going, and managed the pacing really well

Reply

Gip Roberts
19:46 Oct 30, 2020

Thank you, Metaxia. I did my best to make it eerie, and I'm always glad to hear when the effect I was going for in a story worked.

Reply

Metaxia Tzimouli
11:44 Oct 31, 2020

I wrote a story too, its called If You Only Knew! If you want and have time to read it please, and tell me what you think!

Reply

Gip Roberts
19:44 Oct 31, 2020

I'll do that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tom .
16:00 Oct 26, 2020

GOOD JOB. You build the tension so well throughout. I am going to have to check out some of your other stuff. If you reuse this anywhere else, have a look at the very last word. Sad. It just dips the momentum of the ending and could have something more impactful.

Reply

Gip Roberts
19:36 Oct 26, 2020

Thank you, Tom. I agree about the last part. Since everything except the supernatural was roughly based on my own experience growing up, I sort of forgot that this started as a scary story and needed to end that way too. Thanks for reading :)

Reply

Tom .
20:02 Oct 26, 2020

'Write from what you know', sounds like good advice.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Elle Clark
18:04 Oct 24, 2020

Oh wow- layered! The descriptions here were so vivid and the room going pitch black all of a sudden was really chilling. Great writing; thanks for sharing!

Reply

Gip Roberts
18:55 Oct 24, 2020

Thank you, Laura. This was a tough prompt for me, so it's a pleasant surprise to get this kind of feedback :)

Reply

Elle Clark
19:12 Oct 24, 2020

I think you nailed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Em P.W.
19:30 Oct 18, 2020

No sleep for me tonight. :'(((( (it was great btw!)

Reply

Gip Roberts
00:43 Oct 19, 2020

Thanks for reading and commenting. It doesn't take much to give me insomnia either, so I can relate. I'm looking forward (with chills already) to reading what you and all our fellow authors dream up in the weeks to come for their Halloween stories.

Reply

Em P.W.
07:54 Oct 20, 2020

Oh gosh! I'm so disappointed in myself. *facepalm I completely forgot this was Halloween month. Covid's getting to even the most introverted people! :'D Thank you, and me too! I can't wait to see the horror creations.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Emaan Kamran
12:35 Oct 29, 2020

Hey!! Excellent story I would like you to visit my profile too❤️

Reply

Gip Roberts
19:47 Oct 29, 2020

Thanks for the comment. I'll be checking out your story soon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.