Grace Finds A Grandma Moses

Submitted into Contest #192 in response to: Set your story at an antique roadshow.... view prompt

3 comments

Fiction Adventure

“Grace Finds A Grandma Moses”


Grace loved nothing more than browsing antique shows in her free time. She enjoyed the thrill of the hunt, the possibility of discovering hidden treasures, and the satisfaction of haggling for a good deal. One sunny afternoon, she came across an antique roadside show and decided to stop by. As she was walking around, something caught her eye – a beautiful painting of a rural scene. Upon closer inspection, she saw that it was signed by none other than Grandma Moses. Grace was familiar with the artist’s name, and knew it has some worth. Despite the price tag, Grace felt drawn to the painting and decided to make an offer. Just as she was about to negotiate, she spotted a shiny penny on the ground. She took it as a sign and bought the painting, feeling happy with her purchase as she drove away from the show.


As soon as Grace got home, she eagerly showed the painting to her friend, who happened to be an art collector. Her friend's eyes widened as soon as she saw it and exclaimed, "Do you know what you've really got here, Grace? This is a genuine Grandma Moses painting!" Grace was somewhat taken aback by her friend's reaction and asked for an explanation.

Her friend told her that Grandma Moses was a famous folk artist whose works were highly sought after by collectors all over the world. After doing some research, they found out that the painting was worth a fortune. Providence had shone lovingly upon Grace! She had stumbled upon a hidden gem without even fully realizing it.

At first, Grace thought of selling the painting and using the money to fulfill her lifelong dream of traveling the world. But as she thought about it, she realized that the painting was more than just a valuable asset. It was a piece of history and art that deserved to be appreciated and admired by everyone.

After careful consideration, Grace decided to donate the painting to a local museum so that others could enjoy it as much as she did. She felt that it was the right thing to do and that the painting would be better off in the hands of someone who could appreciate its true value.

The museum was overjoyed to receive the painting and put it on display for everyone to see. The painting became a popular attraction, bringing in many visitors and boosting the local economy. Grace was pleased to see how much joy and wonder the painting brought to others and felt grateful that she was able to contribute to the community in her own small way.


Months had passed since Grace had donated the Grandma Moses painting to the local museum, and life had gone on as usual. However, one day, she received a call from an art collector who had visited the museum and seen the painting on display. He informed her that he was willing to pay an enormous sum of money to own the painting, more than triple its original value.

At first, Grace was tempted by the offer, but she soon realized that the painting belonged to the museum and to the people who had come to admire it. She declined the collector's offer, but he persisted, even going so far as to say that he would get legal help. Grace was determined to do the right thing and protect the painting's integrity.

As the tension between Grace and the collector mounted, a local news outlet caught wind of the story and decided to do a segment on it. The segment caught the attention of the art world, and soon, Grace found herself in the middle of a high-profile dispute.

However, it wasn't long before the dispute took an unusual turn. The collector had been contacted by an anonymous donor who offered to buy the painting from him for an even higher price than he had offered Grace. The collector agreed, thinking he had won, but the anonymous donor had a surprise for him.

The donor turned out to be a wealthy philanthropist who wanted to buy the painting not for his personal collection, but for the museum. He felt that the painting belonged to the community and should be shared with the world, just as Grace had believed.

The collector was shocked by the turn of events, but Grace was elated. Her decision to donate the painting had brought about an unexpected outcome that not only preserved its integrity but also allowed more people to enjoy it. She felt grateful for the strange twist of fate that had led her to discover the painting, donate it to the museum, and then witness the painting's value being recognized and protected in such an unexpected way.


A few years had passed, and Grace had long forgotten about the painting incident. She had since retired and spent her days traveling the world, fulfilling her lifelong dream. One day, while visiting a small town in Europe, she stumbled upon a local art exhibition.

As she walked around the exhibit, something caught her eye. It was the Grandma Moses painting she had donated to the museum all those years ago. She couldn't believe it – the painting had made its way across the ocean and was now on display halfway around the world.

As she read the plaque next to the painting, she discovered that the wealthy philanthropist who had bought the painting for the museum had also made a large donation to the exhibit. Thanks to his generosity, the exhibit had attracted many visitors, and the small town's economy had boomed.

Grace felt overwhelmed with emotions as she realized the true impact her decision to donate the painting had made. She had started a chain reaction of generosity that had blessed not only her community but communities across the world.

As she left the exhibition, Grace felt a sense of contentment and fulfillment that money could never buy. She knew that she had made the right decision all those years ago and was grateful for the unexpected blessings that had come from it.

In the end, Grace learned that the most significant blessings often come from the smallest and seemingly insignificant decisions we make. The simple act of buying a painting on a whim had led to a chain reaction of generosity, impacting the lives of many, and bringing joy and wonder to the world.


Feeling inspired by the unexpected blessings that had come from her decision to donate the painting, Grace decided to write about her experience. She wanted to share her story with others, hoping to inspire them to trust their intuition and make decisions based on what feels right, rather than what might benefit them in the moment.

Grace poured her heart and soul into the writing, recalling every detail of the story, from the day she stumbled upon the painting to the moment she saw it on display in Europe. Her book was filled with passion, and her words spoke directly to the hearts of her readers.

When her book was finally published, it quickly became a best-seller. People from all walks of life found inspiration in Grace's story, and her words resonated with them deeply. Her book even caught the attention of a major movie studio, and before she knew it, her story was being adapted into a blockbuster film.

But for Grace, the real reward was the countless letters she received from readers who were touched by her story. They shared their own experiences of unexpected blessings and thanked her for inspiring them to trust their intuition and make decisions that would have a positive impact on others.

In the end, Grace knew that she had fulfilled her purpose in life. She had made a difference in the world, and her story had inspired others to do the same. She felt blessed and grateful for the journey that had led her to that moment, and she knew that she would never forget the power of unexpected blessings.


This poem, favorite of hers, can be found in Grace’s book:


“Grandma Moses”


Grandma Moses, a name synonymous with folk art,

A painter whose works captured the essence of the heart.

Born in New York, in the year of 1860,

A farm girl with a gift, whose talent would soon flourish and thrive.



Married and a mother, she lived a life of toil and care,

But her passion for art, was always there, always aware.

At the age of 76, she picked up her brushes and paints,

And began to create, with a style that was simple yet quaint.



Her paintings of rural life, captured the spirit of America,

With their vivid colors and scenes, that were both real and familiar.

She depicted a world, that was disappearing fast,

And her works became a window, to a time that would not last.



Her fame grew, and her works were displayed in galleries and museums,

And her paintings became sought after, by collectors and enthusiasts.

She was celebrated for her unique style, and her contributions to art,

And she continued to paint, until the day she had to depart.



Grandma Moses, a woman of extraordinary talent and grace,

A painter whose works, still resonate, with their simple and honest embrace.

She inspired generations, with her art and her story,

And her legacy lives on, in the works of artists, in their glory.


April 04, 2023 12:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Jody S
03:04 Apr 14, 2023

I love stories about the domino effect of one act! Usually the results are negative, so I was lovely to read one with a beautiful outcome! The poem was a nice touch too! I agree with the comment about fleshing out why Grace was drawn to the piece. That would have been the bow on this already beautiful package! Looking forward to seeing more of your works!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michael Clark
02:02 Apr 13, 2023

Grace is a commendable character. Honorable in the face of trials. A tale that makes you wish the real world worked like this more often.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philippa Hibberd
10:37 Apr 11, 2023

Stories that celebrate art are a win as far as I'm concerned! It's an uplifting reminder of how far small acts of kindness can go, and that bringing happiness is more important than getting rich. Just a few criticisms - You said Grace "felt drawn to the painting". I feel it would help the audience connect better with her if you said why she was drawn to it. Was it the colour and/or style? Did it bring back happy memories of visiting relatives in the countryside, or having lived there once? Did she instantly know it was the kind of painting ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.