4 comments

Teens & Young Adult Fantasy Fiction

Sophie loved exploring., and today she was making her way through the thick forest to find places yet unknown and undiscovered by her thus far. Her best friend, Abby, had decided to ditch her in favor of going shopping with her Mom, but Sophie much preferred trekking through the woods any day to picking out a new outfit.


As Sophie topped a hill, she spied a small house that she’d never spotted during previous times in the woods; it was situated just inside a small copse of trees. Perhaps the massive oaks and pines with the hanging moss had disguised the house from unwanted eyes. It appeared to be abandoned, with shutters hanging off their hinges and doors perched open, including a broken screen door. As she carefully drew nearer to the old home, she saw that the front door was ajar and there was an opened window that likely looked out from a bedroom. It was quite possible the house had been abandoned longer than suspected. Knowing her mother would likely tan her backside if she entered it, she headed straight for the house anyway, walking up the three steps and onto the long porch where she stopped just outside the open door.


“Hello?” Sophie yelled, but the only sound that came back to her was the faint echo of her own voice.


“Hello? Anyone home?” she yelled again, this time even louder, but still, no response. Yes, there was no doubt the house was abandoned. No one would leave their door and windows open like this, and the house was far too dilapidated.


Curiosity getting the better of her, Sophie raised her hand to push against the door, but it would not budge. It was as if there was something on the other side of it holding it steadfastly in place. Using her shoulder and the full force of her small, twelve-year old body, she pushed harder, but still to no avail. The door wasn’t budging, and it was not open enough for her to squeeze through its narrow opening.


Turning about, she eyed the open window. It was large and open wide enough for someone to easily enter through it. Looking around and seeing no one, Sophie headed down the concrete steps, searching for anything she could use as a step stool. Spying a small stump, she rolled it toward the open window. If she stood on the stump and then hefted herself up ever so slightly, she’d be able to climb inside with no problem.


Once the stump was beneath the window, Sophie stood on it and took a moment to peer inside, ensuring that indeed no one resided in this forsaken looking house. Her mind raced with curiosity once she saw the room. There were tattered remnants of a flowery bedspread and old, yellowed pillows scattered about the floor. Several pictures hung askew upon the walls with their tattered and faded wallpaper. There was an old dresser and bedside table, but the drawers of both were open. However, from what she could see, the drawers were all empty.


Just as she was bracing herself to climb inside, she was momentarily stopped as it began to rain. It was a soft, summer scented rain, and Sophie inhaled of its’ sweetness, not caring that it soaked her hair and clothing. She loved summer showers, and she could think of nothing more magical or endearing. How befitting, she thought, that a magical summer rain would ensue as she began her adventure inside this lonely, forsaken home that had once been very special to someone.


Focusing again on the purpose at hand, Sophie gave a heave, hoisting herself up and over the crumbling ledge of the window. Before she could maneuver her way completely over it and inside the house, however, a piece of the windowsill gave way, and she fell inward and onto the hard floor of the bedroom.


“Ouch!” she cried aloud as she fell, closing her eyes as elbow and knee hit the hardwood flooring with a thud. Wincing, she opened her eyes and immediately checked her elbow and knee to make sure there was no substantial damage before looking up to peer at her surroundings. Thoroughly mystified, all Sophie could do was stare in wonder and awe at the room, unsure as to where to land her gaze for longer than a few seconds. It was entirely different than it had been when she had peered into it from outside. It was now a lovely, and beautifully decorated room, filled with splendid coverings on the bed and walls. Several colorful paintings of flowers hung on freshly painted walls, and there was a gleaming mahogany dressing table with no drawers open. It was decorated with a crocheted drop cloth and several little porcelain knickknacks. A crystal atomizer full of an amber liquid that Sophie assumed with perfume was nestled on a tray along with a silver comb and brush set.


Gingerly standing and rubbing her elbow in addition to rubbing her eyes in sheer disbelief, Sophie gazed all about the vast room. What the devil had just happened and where the heck was she? Had she entered some kind of fantasy world when she fell through that open window? Perhaps the rain had been pure magic, leading her to an unknown and undiscovered place in time. There seemed to be no other explanation for it. Being twelve, she was smart enough to know that fairy tales and magic didn’t really exist, but every indication was that this was indeed a magical window, and life as she knew it was entirely different from everything she’d ever known or been told.


“Hello?” she yelled again, but this time her voice was weak, croaking from the surprise she felt.


Still, no answer - only silence.


Slowly, lest she make a sound, Sophie made her way to the dressing table and took a seat on the round stool in front of it. The oval mirror in the center of the table reflected her visage of wonder at her surroundings.


Sophie’s small fingers trailed lightly over the gleaming wood and doily. Interestingly enough, there was not one speck of dust.

Carefully, she picked up a small, carved, white onyx elephant on the right side of the table, fingering it before placing it back where it had originally rested. On the left-hand side, she saw a lovely wooden music box. As she opened the lid, it began to play Tchaikovsky’s Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies. It was lined with a light purple silk and nestled within were several pieces of glimmering jewelry, including a pair of long earrings made from the most beautiful ice blue stones.


Sophie slowly lifted the earrings and pretended they hung from her ears. She looked quite sophisticated, she thought to herself, despite being only twelve years of age. Not daring to actually try them on, she replaced them in the box before she pulled out a ring with a large stone of the same blue hue. It was encircled with small, tiny diamonds. Unable to stop herself, Sophie slipped the beautiful ring on her third finger. As she was admiring its beauty on her tiny hand, she looked up at the mirror and gasped. Directly behind her stood a woman who appeared young but also old enough to be a mother; she wore a flowing white dress. She was beautiful and had the warmest and most welcoming smile upon her lips that Sophie had ever seen.


Quickly, Sophie removed the ring and spun around in the seat. “I’m so sorry. I didn’t think anyone was here…….” Her voice trailed off when she saw no one. Her heart beat rapidly. She knew she had seen the woman in the oval mirror, but where was she? She attempted to gather her wits. Did the woman live here? She was not about to leave now when this house had so many surprises awaiting her discovery. Chances were she’d probably imagined the woman, she thought to herself.


Sophie stood and walked over to the bed. Stepping upon the foot stool, she sat upon the large mattress and fell backwards, encompassed in the bed’s softness and silky coverings. Here indeed was heaven, she thought. She closed her eyes momentarily, relishing the feel of the luxurious coverings.


Moments later, she opened her hazel eyes to find the woman from the mirror standing next to the bed. She was smiling warmly, just as before, as she gazed at Sophie.


“Hello, Sophie,” the woman said. “I’ve been waiting for you.”

Startled, Sophie bolted straight up and came face to face with the woman.


“Hello,” she croaked. “I’m so sorry. I didn’t know this was your home.” In her surprise, it had not even dawned on her that the woman had called her by name.


“No, Sophie dear, don’t be sorry. I’ve been expecting you, love. I have tea and biscuits for us,” she said as she extended her hand toward a small table set with tea. The woman’s voice was strangely soft and lyrical, and her image was nearly ethereal.


Sophie eyed the woman skeptically, tempted to reach out and touch her to ensure she was real.


“Tea? Biscuits? You’ve been expecting me?” Sophie asked.


“Yes, dear. Shall we?” The woman headed to the table of tea and biscuits, seeming to float across the hardwood floors.


Sophie stood and followed, intrigued. “Thank you,” she said for lack of knowing what else to say as she took a seat at the table and watched as the woman poured steaming tea into dainty bone china cups covered with hand painted purple violets.


“And so, how is Sophie today?” the woman asked as she placed a cup of tea before her.


“I am good,” Sophie answered. Perplexed, she asked, “I’m sorry, but have we met before?”


“Not precisely dear, but we do know one another in a manner of speaking. I’m Genevieve.” The woman smiled as she took a seat across from Sophie. “I’m so pleased to make your acquaintance. Biscuit, dear?” she asked.


Confused, Sophie picked up a biscuit and absent-mindedly bit into it. It was delicious, melting in her mouth. Eagerly, she picked up another as Genevieve watched and continued to smile while she sipped her tea.


Moments passed in silence until Genevieve stood and walked to the dressing table. She picked up the small onyx elephant and returned to Sophie.


“Sophie, dear, please accept this elephant to remind you of our time together. Oh, yes, and please take all the biscuits you’d like. I have a handkerchief with which you may wrap them for safekeeping.”

Genevieve placed the small elephant in front of Sophie and then handed her a lace-trimmed handkerchief and proceeded to pile it with the delicious, sweet biscuits. Even as she did so, the biscuits seem to magically replenish on the platter from which they were removed.


Sophie’s eyed widened in disbelief. “Thank you,” she managed to politely say, despite the fact her mind was racing with so many unanswered questions.


“You’re as pretty as your mother, Sophie,” the woman said once she’d resumed her seat.


“My mother? You know my Mother?” Sophie asked in surprise.


“Well, dear, we met many years ago. She was a special young girl, just like you.”


Sophie’s mind raced. First of all, this was definitely a magical place. Secondly, her mother had never mentioned anything about this house or Genevieve. Sophie was confused, and though she knew she was wide awake, she still wondered if she was dreaming.

Genevieve stood and walked to the window, peering out. It had stopped raining and the sun was shining once again. “It’s getting late, dear. Your mother will be worried if you’re not home soon.”


Sophie realized it was nearly five o’clock and that Genevieve was right. Where had the time gone? She was anxious to get home and see her mother though. She had a ton of questions. Sophie stood and brushed the crumbs from her lap.


“Don’t forget your biscuits and the little elephant, dear,” Genevieve said. “I’m so glad you visited, and we met one another. Perhaps the future will bring us together again.”


Stuffing the handkerchief full of biscuits in one pocket and the little elephant in the other, Sophie stretched out her hand. “Thank you so much. It’s been a pleasure, Miss Genevieve.”


The woman brilliantly smiled as she took Sophie’s hand warmly in both of hers. “I assure you that the pleasure is all mine, sweet Sophie.”


Sophie returned her smile and went to the window. Before hoisting herself up onto its ledge, she turned to give one last smile to Genevieve, but she found the room completely empty. Genevieve had disappeared as mysteriously as she had appeared.


Sophie managed to climb over the open window’s ledge and then peered inside the room from the tree stump. Amazingly, it was once again dingy and dilapidated. There were no beautiful bed coverings, dressing table, or Genevieve.


More perplexed than ever, Sophie hurried home. Once she arrived, she entered the kitchen and found her mother standing over the stove. Her mother barely glanced at her when she came through the door and opened the fridge for a glass of cold water. Sophie then took a seat at the table where she emptied her pockets. Carefully, she stood the elephant up on the table, knowing her mother would see it.


Placing a lid on a steaming pot, Sophie’s mother turned around. “So how was your day……?” her voice trailed off as she took note of the elephant. Slowly, she walked over and took a seat across from Sophie, carefully watching her all the while.


Sophie, in response, only raised an eyebrow questioningly.

Finally breaking the silence, her mother spoke. “I see you met Genevieve. She’s very nice, isn’t she? Were the biscuits as delicious as they were many years ago?”


Sophie pointed to the handkerchief on the table. “See for yourself,” she said quietly, turning to unwrap the lacy wrapping. But as she did so, the handkerchief fell flat: it was completely empty.


Astonishment filled Sophie’s face, but her mother merely smiled; an all-knowing smile as she said, “But the elephant is very real ….and very precious.”


Her mother rose from her chair and left the room, returning moments later with an identical elephant in her hand. She resumed her seat and sat her elephant on the table next to Sophie’s.


“What in the world?” Sophie’s eyes grew wider and larger than before. “Who is Genevieve?”


Her mother reached down into her pocket and retrieved a very old picture and laid it on the table. It was yellowed, yet still an oddly beautiful and captivating picture of the woman Sophie had encountered once she’d gone through the magical window. Genevieve was as pretty in the picture with her lovely smile and flowing white dress as she had been in person.


“Genevieve is your Great-Great-Grandmother. And she manages to meet every female that is born into our family. I guess you could say that she continues to watch over all of us,” her mother said.

Sophie picked up the two elephants. As she did so, her mother reached into her other pocket and pulled yet two more elephants. “These were my mother’s and grandmother's elephants.” Her mother laughed. “I guess you could say we have our own herd of elephants in this family.”


Sophie laughed. It was true. As long as Genevieve continued to watch out for the family, their herd of elephants would grow, that was for sure.


Her mother grew serious as she added, “You are very special, Sophie, and Genevieve ensures that you will continue to remain so. Did you know that elephants are a symbol of good fortune, prosperity, power, wisdom, vitality, and protection from all evil? Genevieve is quite purposeful about why she gives you the elephant, and you must always take special care of it.”


Sophie nodded, strangely aware that she'd been granted a once in a lifetime magical experience that she would never forget. It would remain in her mind and heart for all her years.


That night as she prepared for bed, Sophie carefully placed the little onyx elephant on the bedside table atop the lace handkerchief where it would be able to watch over her as she slept. She would never forget Genevieve or the magical experience she’d experienced this day. And in her heart, she was hopeful that one day she would have a daughter of her own who would be able to experience the same wonder she had as she’d climbed through that magical window in the summer rain.


Feeling immensely privileged, contented, and well-loved to have met the magic that was embodied in Genevieve, Sophie easily fell asleep that night with dreams of tables laden with tea and scrumptious biscuits. And in the background, while statues of beautifully decorated elephants loomed all about. It was a beautiful dream. Indeed, it had been a beautiful, unforgettable summer’s day.


September 21, 2021 19:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

F.O. Morier
20:24 Sep 30, 2021

What a pleasant story! I loved reading it!

Reply

Cindy Calder
16:42 Oct 01, 2021

Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alice Richardson
01:55 Sep 27, 2021

I enjoyed your story. I especially liked the way you connected all the female line with the same type of elephant.

Reply

Cindy Calder
05:39 Sep 27, 2021

Thank you ! I’m so glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.