2 comments

Contemporary Fiction Happy

It’s a beautiful day! The sun is shining, the flowers are blooming and it’s not too hot. The shops were coming along great on the street and the new home owners seemed to be moving in and adjusting well. Then there was…

“Um excuse me. Can you not walk there?” Someone interrupted my thoughts.

“Oh. It’s you. How are you on this lovely day?” I asked.

“I would be better if you didn’t walk there.” The woman stated.

“Oh I see. However this is a sidewalk, so I can walk here.” I said smiling.

“But it is part of my driveway until that line,” she said pointing, “and I don’t want you to walk on it.” She said rudely.

“Of course,” I said trying not to escalate the situation and moved over the line, “Have a nice day.”

There was always one that tried to ruin everything, “Karens” is what people called them, and ironically her name actually was Karen. Oh well, I thought. Not going to let that encounter ruin my day.

The little town of Baker’s Cove was just that, little. There was about three streets and not one traffic light. Everyone was friendly like most little towns but unlike other small towns Baker’s Cove was thriving and busting with new business and opportunities. There were new shops coming along right beside the ones you would usually see in a small town. Down one street were bakers, candle makers, a clothing shop, hardware store, bookstore, diner and café. Then on another of course were the police, bankers, and town hall. The third street was mainly houses although some of the shops had apartments above them and the shop owners stayed there. It really was a lovely little town until she moved in. The town had it share of complaints from the residents and business owners but they were minimal and realistic unlike a certain someone who complained about everything.

“Hey SJ! I’m back from my walk.” I said walking in my house I share with my business partner and soon to be husband.

“Hey. How was it? Learn anything interesting about the new neighbors?” He said kissing me on my cheek.

“Yeah, looks like Karen is going to live up to her name. She yelled on me for walking on the sidewalk. Said it’s her property and I couldn’t walk there.”

“Really? It literally says walk in the name.” He said rolling his eyes.

“Yeah I just let it slide. Didn’t want to cause a problem.”

“Well good. On to exciting news. We got a new box today, wanna go to the store and open it up?” SJ said wiggling his eyebrows, a grin on his face.

“Of course! It’s almost time to open anyway,” I replied, a big smile on my face.

SJ and I owned the bookstore. We are both avid readers and loved sharing books with people. Seeing someone buy a book or get immersed in a story brings smiles to our faces. We even offer a rent a book program, sort of like a library, where someone can try a book before they buy. We walked over to the bakery first to get some donuts then on to the café for some delicious coffee. When we arrived at the bookstore there was a note on the door. Thinking nothing of it we took it inside with the new box of books and turned the closed sign to open. SJ was busy putting the new books in the computer inventory system when the door chimed letting us know someone came in.

“Hello, welcome to Bookworms I’m Bree let me know if you need any help today.” I said as a mother and daughter walked in the store.  

“Yes. My daughter here has discovered a love for reading and she wants to add some new books to her library.” The mother said with a smile.

“Of course! I love reading too. Do you have anything in mind? Any specific characters or animals you like?”

“Unicorns,” the little girl smiled, “and dragons!” She shouted making a roar.

“Excellent choices, a girl after my own heart,” I smiled back, “over here is the kid section and we have them arranged by grade level,” I said leading them towards the left side wall. 

“Ohhh ohhhh!!! Mommy, mommy! Look, look at this one it has a dragon!” The little girl squealed as she held up a book for her mom to see. “Ohh mommy look at this one! It has a unicorn! And this one has a fairy riding a unicorn!” She said picking up more books. The little girl went from shelf to shelf finding a bunch of books. Every time finding one she squealed and giggled. I looked over at SJ and he was smiling just as big as me. This is why we do this, I thought.

“Okay, okay hunny. I think you have enough for now. We can always come back and get more next week.” The mother said when her daughter ran out of room in her arms to carry the books.

“We also have a rent a book program if you are interested. It’s kind of how a library works.” I said leading them back to the register.

“Oh okay. I’ll keep that in mind. I’ll just buy these for now.”

I rang up the mother and watch as the little girl carried the bag out to the car with the biggest smile on her face.

“Oh it’s a good day just seeing the look of happiness on that child’s face.” I said as I took some books from SJ to help him stock them.

“I couldn’t of said it better myself,” he replied leaning in for a kiss but the door chimed again. “Hello welcome to Bookworms. I’m SJ let me know if you need any help today.” He said smiling.

“I know what I’m doing.” She said rudely and walked to the back shelf that held mainly romances and crime dramas.

SJ looked over at me and mouthed “Karen” and I shook my head yes. He went back behind the counter while I finished putting the new books out on shelves. Karen seemed to be taking a while but it didn’t bother us. We knew sometimes browsing for a new book took time. While Karen browsed some more people walked into the bookstore. SJ and I took turns greeting them and told them the same thing if they needed help to let us know. A man came up to me and asked if I could help him find a certain author.

“Of course. Do you know what genre he usually likes?” I asked but before the man could reply Karen interrupted.

“Excuse me. I was here first. She has to help me.” Karen said.

“I will gladly help you in a minute. He did ask first.” I said politely.

“No! I was here first! I get help first!” Karen said getting louder.

“Its not a problem I can wait.” The man said.

“Thank you,” I replied to him, then turned to Karen, “how can I help you ma’am.”

“I’m ready to check out.” She said matter-of-factly.

“Yes ma’am. The register is over there and SJ can help you with that.”

Karen walked over the register and cut in front of the couple that was about to pay and said the same thing, “I was here first I get to check out first.”

“No ma’am you were still looking and they got to the register first. Plus I already rang up there books if you would wait a minute I can have them done and will gladly help you.” SJ said forcing a smile.

“Uh fine. But hurry up.”

SJ finished with the couple and Karen put her books on the counter. “Will this be all for you today?” SJ asked.

“Yes but I heard that girl over there talking about a rent thing and I want to do that.” She said pointing at me.

“Yes ma’am that is fine. We will just need your information and you would put down a small security fee and we will get you ready to go.”

“Why do you need my information and a fee? Wouldn’t that be me just buying the books?”

“Its like a library system. You basically check out the books and when you get done reading them you bring them back unless you want to keep them, and then you would come pay the remaining balance.”

“That doesn’t make sense. I’ll just buy them.” She scoffed.

At the end of the day SJ and I were tired. It was a great day though. Had a lot of people come in and even set up something with the bakery to have a cookie delivery in the morning. We locked the doors and started our walk home when Karen struck again. As we walked we noticed a lot of people walking around a car parked right on the sidewalk.

“Hey what’s going one?” SJ asked someone as they walked by.

“That woman won’t move her car. Said the sidewalk in her property and she is tired of people and animals walking over it.”

“Oh this again?” I asked and shook my head, “don’t worry we will handle it.”

“Thanks Bree. She is becoming a menace.” SJ and I walked over and knocked on Karen’s door.

“What do you want? I’m not moving my car.” She shouted through the door.

“Hi Karen it’s Bree and SJ and you have to move your car. Not only is it illegally parked on the sidewalk but it’s a hazard and there is a fire hydrant.”

Karen burst out her door screaming, “I pay for this house and this yard. I don’t want people walking all over what is mine. This sidewalk is part of my land and I can park my car wherever I want to on it. If you don’t leave I will call the cops!”

Just then the cops pulled up, “what is going on here?” Sheriff David asked.

“Oh thank goodness. These people are harassing me!” Karen yelled dramatically.

“Hey David, we were just asking Karen to move her car out of the sidewalk.”

“Ma’am you can’t park your vehicle here. Please move it or we will have it moved.”

“What? I own this house and…”

“Ma’am the sidewalk is public property you do not own it. Just your driveway. Move your vehicle or I will have it moved. Plus it is illegal to park next to a fire hydrant.” David said again more firmly.

“Well I never. I will move my car this time but believe me I’m going to your boss with this and the homeowners association and I will have all of you removed from this neighborhood!”

“You’ll never be content,” I finally said, “You want everyone to miserable like you. It was okay now and then but you find fault in everything.”

“How dare you! You will be the first one gone!”

“I don’t think so ma’am, her family owns the town.”  

September 17, 2022 01:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Arthur P. Dutton
03:13 Sep 22, 2022

I just discovered reedsyprompts with this competition so this is my first critique circle. Please forgive me if this is too much or not what you are looking for. But I figure that you must be looking to improve since you are taking part in the circle, and, therefore, I should give you my honest thoughts. I like Bree and her husband and the part with the little girl and her mom. You conveyed the charm of these characters and their small town connections. But I think your story is held back by poor grammar, spelling, and punctuation that act...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jon Blackstock
22:49 Sep 21, 2022

I was with you right up to the end. This woman used to be my neighbor, I think. Did I read this right? At the end, we find out that the narrator owns the town, right? In what way? Did anything hint at this? Do we identify with the narrator better if she doesn't own the town? I really like the details in the book shop, and I believe you did a great job allowing the issue to escalate believably.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.