1 comment

Adventure Drama Fiction

Going Going Gone

Roxy gets in the taxi cab and says “Follow that Car”.

It’s a Tuxedo Black 1962, first generation Chevrolet Corvette, beautiful, majestic, with black and white interior, chrome as shiny as the full moon and glimmering stars. The man driving, mysterious, tall, dark and handsome. Wearing, you guessed it, a Designer Black Tuxedo with black Italian shoes. I need to find out everything I can about this man and first, is where he lives.

The Taxi driver is pretty good at this, swerving and dodging, skidding around corners and keeping the mysterious man in our sites. We travel for a long distance in the city, wondering where we are headed. Then we suddenly are in an area I have never been in before. The buildings all look futuristic and old and desolate at the same time. There doesn’t seem to be anyone around, no people out and about, no lights on anywhere, including no street lights. Where are we I wonder as we travel along? The driver has since turned off his lights quit awaze back, but with the bright moon and all the stars, even more stars where we currently are, it is easy to see the road.

It’s been 1 hour since we started this chase and the driver is now slowing down. After a while we come to a creep, the valiant skyscraper comes in to view. Definitely lights are on here. Everywhere, there are some form of lights shining, great tree sculptures with lights for leaves, giant statues with flood lights, even the building itself is lit with lights, not only on the inside, but the outside, too. I can see lights around a pool, basketball court and a tennis court. Who is this mysterious handsome man? Where did he come from? I had not seen him before tonight. My girlfriends and I always go to the luxurious downtown Roxy. Yes it is my name, but no I am not the owner, I wish though. Anyway I saw him from a distance at the Roxy. It didn’t seem like anyone person knew him and yet he seemed to be able to carry on a conversation with all of them as if he knew them all.

I asked the Taxi Driver where we were and he replied, I don’t know Miss, I have never been here before. Quite the odd extravaganza, don’t you think. Well, yes, yes I said back to him. I took my phone to see the coordinates of where we were and there was no phone services. How can that be, I thought, in this time and age there just are not blackout spots and, not in this exciting busy city.

Do you know what time it is? I ask the driver. Ten past ten, he said. I look at the meter and it’s been 1 ½ hours since we left the Roxy. I wondered if I could follow back through and be able to get here in the day light. So, I asked the Taxi Driver to take me back to the Roxy.

As we travel along, I write down instructions that I believe will help me get back to this, this skyscraper out in the middle of nowhere. I write down landmarks and street names if I can find them. Big rocks, brick walls, cement columns, anything I feel will help.

I return to the Roxy and find my friends again, and they all are wondering where I had been. I just tell them I went for a walk, I was just getting so hot in here. With not much of the evening left, I have one more drink and then head home.

The next day was Saturday, which I usually don’t work, except today of all times, I have to go in till 1:00 p.m. How dreadfully long the time is going. I want to take a drive and see if I can get to the mysterious man’s skyscraper. Everything I do seems to be taking forever, like the copy machine, just sits there warming up, spinning, warming up, spinning. How can it take more than 10 minutes for that? All I need is to make a 1 page copy, come on and start.

I try doing some other things I need to get done and everything just seems to be slow, or I can’t reach the right drive, or my computer freaks out and I have to restart it. The email server goes down, I feel like something is trying to stop me from getting off work so I can go for that drive. Finally, its 12:30 p.m., it won’t be long now. Who am I kidding, it’s taking longer than all the other time put together.

I get to leave. Woo Hoo! Oh Yeah! As I climb into my truck, I see out of the corner of my eye the Tuxedo Black 1962, first generation Chevrolet Corvette C1, same license plate I wrote down last night. I wonder where he’s could be? This district is mostly offices, technology and corporate offices. Ah! Maybe he is a CEO of one of these corporations. That explains the rich car, clothes, skyscraper he lives in. Well it’s a good time to take that drive, I won’t have to worry about running into him.

As I read my list backwards to see if I can get back to that handsome devil’s place, I seem to be running into every red light I come to. Figures, my afternoon is turning out like my morning slow and not getting very far. I take the corners just like my list says and I just seem to be going in circles. If I had an address I could use my GPS. Or at least until there is no cell service. I spend all afternoon trying to find that skyscraper and only end up making myself batso. I supposed to meet my girlfriends at the Roxy again tonight, so I finally just head home to get ready. I suddenly realize I am starved, haven’t had anything all day. So I whip into a local DQ to grab a bite to eat. Guess who is just pulling out. Well forget the hunger, I am following him. I seems to be, bopping to some tunes and having a nice ride in the sun. Suddenly, I think he realizes I am following him and he speeds up and starts taking corners really fast. I can hardly keep up. And around the next corner he’s gone. Where did he go? He like vanished into thin air. I drive around the area for a while with no luck, so I head back to the DQ to pick up some food.

Once, I get home, I start chowing down some food and taking a shower, and then chowing down some more food as I dry my hair and start fixing it. I finish eating and then start putting on my makeup, it’s about time to leave.

I get to the Roxy and I am the first one there. Sitting at our usual table I wait for the waiter to order a drink. The next thing I know there is a drink sitting in front of me. I’m like where did that come from and as turn toward the table it is him. He brought my drink and asked if I would mind if he sat there for a bit. I stammer, yes, no I mean yes go ahead, its fine sit. Thank you for my drink, but how did you know what I drink? Oh! A little birdie told me he said. As I’m sitting there in absolute awe, he says his name is Samueal, Sam for short. I tell him my name and yes he asked if I owned the place and I just said I wish. He is very well spoken and seems to know just what to talk about, like all the other people he talked with last night. We chat for a while and he says he was happy to have me as company for the short time, but that he was meeting someone and that they should be there by now. So he leaves and I just sit there, not moving, not thinking, not drinking, just astonished, and frozen even. Not long, or at least I don’t think it was long, my friends started showing up. They broke my frozen state and then I try spotting Sam. My friends are all excited for tonight there is supposed to be surprise entertainment. So we are all trying to figure out who or whom it might be. I must have been frozen a lot longer than I thought, because it was 9 pm already and the show was about to start.

The announcer came on stage and gave a spiel about how great it was to have everyone there tonight and that the surprise entertainment was going to be spectacular, this was the first time for this person to be on stage, just starting out his career. 

Well my girlfriends and I were skeptical about how great or should I say how not great we thought it was going to be. That we were just going to be Guinee pigs to cut his teeth on. We started ignoring what was happening on stage and was having a lovely conversation about all the new hits out these days. Some great and some not so great and if they would manage to make the cut to be a golden oldie or not..

Suddenly a voice cut through our conversation and got our attention. To my surprise it was Sam. What a wonderful voice he had, almost magical, as everyone at Roxy’s couldn’t take their eyes off him. He had a great voice and he could really play the piano. All night was a mix of music, he could sing and play it all. Where had this guy come from? He had all this talent and he was now just coming out. That made no since to me. My girlfriends didn’t care about that, they were all just so googly eyed over him. It was the most elegant, smooth, transfixing and yes magical voice I had ever heard.

The night seemed to go on forever. When Sam took a break, he stopped at our table and inquired about his abilities, if we were enjoying ourselves? Oh course we said we were. My girlfriends still sitting there all googly eyed, but it didn’t matter as I felt the conversation with him was meant just for me. Mesmerized by his voice, I couldn’t help myself. I think I was going all googly eyed as well.

Later on that evening, Sam, sang a song that hit me to the core. It was titled “I’ve Been Looking All My Life”. Now I was in frozen mode again. All I could hear was his voice singing just to me.

What was going on, I thought. What is wrong with me? I don’t do this, I don’t fall for someone in an evening. But wait, No, it can’t be. I think I Love Him. Stop, stop, and snap out of it, this is stupid, I can’t let myself do this, and it’s insane.

The rest of the night, I sat there with my friends in astonishment of myself, really. Not wanting the night to end, listening to Sam’s voice was transfixing. Suddenly I realized he wasn’t singing anymore. I perilously look around. I don’t see him. I keep scanning everywhere, there I see him, going out the door.

I make my girlfriends, in a frantic state, move out of my way, I got to go. They are all like what’s going on. Why is she in such a panic? I run out the door and don’t see him, wait there goes his car. I hail a taxi and say “Follow that car”. The taxi driver said, not again lady. I said yes, yes, go “follow that car”. So he said “ok”. It’s your dime.

January 27, 2023 18:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Molly Kelash
20:39 Feb 03, 2023

Hi there--I was assigned you by the critique circle, so I'd like to give you some honest feedback, much like I would give a fellow writer in any of my writer groups. I think there's a great core of a story here--a fun, sort of groundhog day with a stream of consciousness style. But I think it needs work on several different levels. If you are interested, I can go into detail with some constructive criticism, but I don't want to offend you by assuming you are open to it. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.