2 comments

Fiction Sad Inspirational

As I slowly twisted the key clockwise, it made a funny sound, similar to a fingernail dragging on the countertop, all the seven pins had been raised to the sheer line of the lock’s core. I pulled the thin hair strands behind my left ear, and carefully pulled the key out of the lock, placing it back in my purse. 


I blinked my eyes a couple of times to cut loose the glitters of black spots as the winged sun radiated its powerful sunshine. The wilted branches and fallen yellow cringed leaves compelled me to accept the change in the wind. Unlike any other being, I hated autumn. I hated changes. My black boots made tapping noises as I cleared my way on the dusty road. I rolled my hand in a swirl, making my wrist adjust in front of my eyes ‘6:10; 5 minutes apart’ 


The calm air purposed my eyes to fold, my head swung in an unknown melody, feeling the warmth in my skin yet my mind filled with ice cubes. My mind, I never caught the thoughts in there, they kept on racing, with me struggling at the hold of a horse’s tail. And when I finally catch one, the stems have already been broken. The soothing in the air and the tingle in my body was nevertheless disturbed by some rummaging footsteps. Exhausted sighs and gulps hit my ear and my pupils met the running stranger. 


Her hair was pulled in a ponytail which had now tarnished. She kept looking back at her followers while humid figures of fear shadowed her face. Her gaping mouth inhaled all the oxygen it could, while her weakened limbs were trying hard not to give in. She was wearing a faded blue dress accompanied by worn-out sneakers. I felt her arms swing around me, shaping her cold fingers in a tightened knot around my arms. I looked at her horrified expressions and bewildered panting as her big round eyes lured me. “Please help me” a sore voice tumbled down her gulping throat. I pushed my chin and my eyes fell on a couple of rough boys with black sweatpants, oversized t-shirts and mud-caked shoes.


One moment, I was staring at the running bullies and the next, my eyes drifted to nothingness. The thoughts came slowly like seawater filling up a boat without us even realizing it. Before you know it, you’re underwater. 


The strong currents of ponder, took me back to summer morning, hanging my age around thirteen or fourteen. I was sitting on the last bench of the last row in my class, my folded arms resting on my belly, making it appear as if I was listening to every single word of our teacher. My gut was twisting and churning in pain of an unpleasant feeling, which evoked many lumps in my throat. My fists were clenched in a ball, trying hard not to let those cornered tears swell up and overflow. 


All of a sudden the school bell trigger filled the air. I grabbed my bag in a hurry and tried my best to get out of the class, through the thin lane, hiding from all the prying eyes. I wished I could turn myself invisible. I ran in the shadows and was almost near when a strong hand pulled me back. 


“Aww! Look who is running away. You little punk.” An auburn-haired girl snarled.

 

“Let me go Chloe” I whimpered, trying my best to free my bag from the tight grip. 


“Or what? What will you do?” Her harsh voice bloated through my skin. 


“I-I will f-fight you.” A tear sneaked down my puffy cheeks. 


“So, you are going to fight me, crybaby?” Chloe let out a wild chuckle but in a fraction of seconds, her expressions were wicked. She grabbed my collar firmly with her left hand and balled her right, targeting my face for the perfect punch when someone cleared his throat from behind. 


Chloe looked back at the intruder and I felt my body free. I woke up my legs, running as fast as I could, my hands numbly swinging as I raced my way back home. I heard rapid footsteps tracing me which soon vanished in the fumes of car honks and chatters. 


That day I cried my heart out. My stomach did somersaults making me wanna throw up. My eyes were puffy and swollen as my sob continued for hours. It wasn’t just that day. It had become a daily routine for the bullies to trouble me and make fun just for their own entertainment. No one ever understood how I felt. No one even cared. Not even the teachers. Once when I tried to complain, the needle of blam spun and pointed right at me, making me punished for an undone act. 


As you would guess I had no friends. Not a single one. The loop in my chest tightened every time when I saw my schoolmates laughing together, hanging in the corridor while I just sat in a corner reading books. Not that I was a nerd, I barely scored grades that would permit me to the next level. Basically, I was an overall loser. I had prayed for months, to show me a way out, to help me find that golden door but they all just floated in the air unanswered. That day, all my limits were broken. My fragile heart was now smashed into pieces and I never went to that school again. I never faced Chloe and her stupid followers again. I had been struck with a new opportunity. A chance for a fresh start and I made it worth it. Today, I am an attorney at the best firm in Manhattan. 



My dazed eyes met the girl's pearl orbs. I saw the old me in her but this time I won’t let it bite. I can help her. Being an adult, a lot of privileges have followed me. If I try, I can rebuke them, talk with their parents and give 'em a good lesson.


But no.


As the boys approached I pushed the girl forward and said “Fight them.”


She gave me a puzzled yet scared look.

“I am with you,” I said and saw the girl regain her confidence. 


She nodded and glared at her first recipient advancing. Her knuckles clenched and she punched him right on his face, making him crouch helplessly with a bleeding nose.

The second foe was a bigger threat. He pounced at the girl with powerful arms but was refuted by a smart duck while the guy fell on his own feet. She stepped on his right arm, making him writhe with the pain. "Ever heard of Karma?"

Watching his buddy in pain, a loyal friend came forward, without giving a second thought to the consequences. Dumb right? She twisted his hand tightly until he was helplessly groaning and kicked him in his soft spot. After a few kicks and punches, all of them were down. The few that ran away were spared. 


As the blonde girl swiped the sweat beads off her forehead, I just stared at her admiringly. 




July 15, 2021 16:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Eric D.
15:23 Aug 05, 2021

Her reminiscing about being bullied was so sad, but the ending...so badass... and satisfying.

Reply

Keya J.
15:43 Aug 05, 2021

Hah! Thanks a lot Eric

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.