0 comments

Fiction Romance Lesbian

‘You should answer that phone.’

‘It’s Jack and I don’t want to. I want everything to stay as it is. You. This place. Now.’

‘But what if it’s important?’

‘Nothing’s that important. There’s very few times in my life I’ve felt this alive. I just want to lay here until it gets dark and we use up the day. I want us to stay welded together like this. I can’t bear to change anything. See: the sun is moving down on the wall. It will be time enough for me to go.’

‘But what if he’s on his way over?’

‘He’s not. And if he was, he wouldn’t call first if he suspected, would he?’

‘Does he suspect?’

‘I don’t know. He hasn’t said anything, but he must sense something. I’m not the same with him. This morning in the kitchen he went to hold me and I flinched. Couldn’t help it. Said he startled me.’

‘Did he buy that?’

‘Seemed to, but I wasn’t sure. I feel like… everything’s about to unravel. It needs to unravel. I don’t know if I can keep it up. We used to be so close. He’s got to be able to tell. I don’t feel like I can keep it together.’

‘Goddamn, it’s ringing again.’

‘Pass it over here. I’ll turn off the ringer.’

‘You didn’t finish what you were saying about the other night.’

‘Oh, right. I’d told him I’d gone to the bar with the girls, but then he thought he’d come by to say hi on his way home. He got there and I wasn’t there. Nobody was… I said it was the wrong place I’d told him and that we were at the Amber House. I can’t tell the girls about this, so I’m hoping he won’t mention it the next time we’re all together.’

‘So he was okay with that?’

‘Yes, but you know my mother used to say that you have to have a good memory to be a good liar. I don’t… I just know I’m going to let something slip… That feels nice.’

‘Yeah, you get tension right there in your neck. It's like concrete. Lay on your side. Pull your hair back.’

‘Mmm. That feels good.’

‘Well, you deserve to relax and be pampered for a change. You’re always so busy looking after everyone else. That’s right. Turn over a little bit more. How does that feel?’

‘Oh yeah. That’s helping. You have just the right touch. You don’t tickle or hurt…’

‘Lizzie…’

‘What?’

‘That effing thing is vibrating. I can feel it. Jesus.’

‘I’m sorry. Here… Oh it's not him. It’s a text from Carly: Jack came by. He thought you were here. Says he can’t find his car keys and you must have both sets. Anyway, wherever you are, have a great day. Hug emoji… Can you pass me my jacket? It’s down by your side of the bed… Yup. Both sets of keys. Jeez… I’m going to have to call him.’

‘Don’t tell him you’re here.’

‘No, I won’t. Don’t worry. I'll meet him somewhere. Why don’t you get dressed and come with me to the coffee shop on the corner. Then we can come back after he’s got his keys. I’ll text him…’

‘I’ll need to have a quick shower, and so will you. We can’t go there after what we’ve been up to. If he’s got any olfactory sense he’ll pick up on it as soon as he gets close. He’ll know you’ve been effing like a banshee.’

‘Yeah, you’re right. But he won’t suspect you because you’re a girl. Just a mate.’

‘Is that what I am?’

‘No. You know what I mean.’

No. I don’t. Am I a side thing?’

‘Of course not.’

‘So were you aiming to tell him at some point?’

‘Well, it's early days yet. Jack and I have been together for three years. I was waiting to see where this was going…’

‘Your phone is flashing. You’d better say you’ve got the keys before he has an aneurism.’

‘I’ll text him: Sorry. I have your keys. Come by Henry’s. It’s only a couple of blocks. Here with Janna.’

‘Did you just send him an effing heart emoji?’

‘Yeah, I always do. He would think something was off if I didn’t.’

‘But something is off, isn’t it? Something is very off. You can’t bring yourself to tell him. Can you? You’d better get in the shower if you’re going.’

‘Wanna come in with me?’

‘No. That’s okay. I’ll go in after you. I’m going to stay here and tidy up a bit.’

‘You sure? He’d think it was odd if I was there by myself.’

‘Well you could tell him I had to leave. That I just left. You could actually tell him anything. You’re getting pretty good at it.’

‘I don’t understand…’

‘Have you thought for a minute how I would feel sitting there when he comes in? He’s got no idea. Do you honestly want me to pretend I’m just a ‘mate? After the things you’ve said and done to me? Doesn’t it count because I’m a woman and you have your real relationship to go back to?’

‘No. Of course not. I’m sorry. I can’t do this right now, Janna I have to go. He’ll be getting there.’

‘Without a shower even? Not worried that he’ll notice?’

‘No. It’ll be okay. I’ll just quickly chuck him the keys and then come back. He won’t get close enough. Where are my goddamn shoes??’

‘Not like I did?’

‘What? Come on. I have to go.’

‘Stop there for a minute. Listen. Like I got too close. You probably meant it at the time. We say crazy stuff when we get carried away. Only I believed it. I bought into it…I can’t carry on like this. I deserve to be taken seriously. You either tell him now, or don’t come back Lizzie. This isn’t fair on any of us.’

‘Jeez, Janna. For God’s sake. Don’t do this.’

‘Your phone's ringing... '

February 17, 2023 20:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.