Shared heart

Submitted into Contest #112 in response to: End your story with a character standing in the rain.... view prompt

2 comments

Romance Teens & Young Adult Happy

Tessa’s POV

I smooth out my deep red dress and exhale. I look up into the mirror and assure myself everything will be fine. Today’s the day. I’m telling my best friend of 13 years that I have feelings for him. Yep, totally not panicking or anything. I grab my phone and wallet and make my way out the door and to his house.

AJ and I met 13 years ago when he and his family moved in next door. From the second we saw each other, there was an instant connection. The kind of connection I find difficult to describe. It’s like he and I share two halves of a heart. In simpler words, we were soulmates. And today I’m telling my soulmate I love him. 

AJ’s POV

She’s probably on her way out the door and I still haven’t gotten dressed. I don’t know why I’m so nervous about today, we’ve been keeping up with this tradition for years. Since we were about 14, Tessa and I dedicated the first Sunday of the month to a picnic at the local park. There wasn’t a big, special meaning behind it or anything, it was just a way to make sure we had some best friend time. Which brings me to my next problem, best friends. Fun fact about me, Alexander Jessica (yes my middle name is Jessica, talk to my mom about that) Tucker, is that I’m madly in love with my breathtakingly beautiful best friend, Tessa Curtis. 

I hear the front door open and close. 

Crap, she’s already here, I guess it’s time.

Tessa's POV

I walk up the driveway with confidence but the second I reach for the handle on the door, it diminishes. Taking a few deep breaths, I open the front door and am instantly greeted by the sweet aroma of apple pie, coming from the kitchen. I turned to close the door and made my way into the familiar house.

“Hey AJ, I’m here, you ready?” I called from the bottom of the stairs.

“I’m almost ready, give me a minute!” He yelled back.

I wandered into the kitchen where AJ’s mom was baking her famous apple pie.

“Hey sweet girl” She looked up at me.

“Hi Beth” I said smiling, “Is that apple pie?”

“It is, the grocery store had a nice sale on apples so I thought I would whip one up.”

“Cool, I’ll be sure to come over later to get some.”

“You ready?” AJ came up behind me.

“Yeah. Bye Beth, see you later” I said before heading out of the kitchen.

“Have fun you two”

AJ’s POV

I ran downstairs to find Tessa in the kitchen talking with my mom. I was about to announce myself but I stopped in my tracks at the sight before me. She was wearing a dress that stopped just before her knees. The back of it is open and exposing a bit of skin. The color was a deep red that perfectly complimented her sun kissed skin. Her straight, dark brown hair flowed down past her shoulders, resting just above her hips. She was truly the most beautiful thing my eyes have seen. I snapped out of it to ask her if she was ready to head out.

We walked out of the house and headed down the street towards the park. It was a brisk day with the clouds covering the sun like a blanket. The walk was quiet, but not an uncomfortable silence.

We arrived at the park and there were only a few people there. I unfolded the beige blanket I had brought along with us and spread it evenly on the grass. I was always in charge of bringing the blankets while Tessa brought the food.

Tessa’s POV

As AJ was smoothing out the blanket, I began to unpack the PB & J sandwiches and strawberries I brought for lunch. Once everything was out, I handed AJ his sandwich. 

“Thank you madam” He said, extending his arms and bowing his head.

“You’re welcome weirdo” I replied as I watched him. His black hair fell in front of his face as he swung his head down. While I loved his soft, beautiful hair, one of my favorite features of his was his freckles. Growing up he always hated them but I thought they were perfect, the way they danced across his nose and over his cheekbones. It was another beautiful thing that made him so unique.

I didn’t realize how long I was staring until I heard the sweet sound of his laugh. I snapped back into the present.

“What’s funny?” I questioned.

“You were spacing out and I tried getting your attention but you seemed very lost in thought” He smiled.

“Oh” 

“Is everything ok?” His face got serious.

I took a deep breath. You can do this Tessa, just tell him.

“Actually, can I talk to you about something?” Just as I said that, drops began to fall from the sky. In a matter of seconds, rain was falling hard. 

I looked over at AJ to see a smirk on his face. He stood up and reached his hand out to me. 

“Tess, may I have this dance?”

I stared at him, eyes wide. “You’re kidding right? It’s raining!”

“C’mon T, dance with me”

I sit there for a second before placing my hand in his. He pulls me up and places his soft hands on each side of my waist. 

AJ’s POV

I feel my cheeks heat up as Tessa instinctively places her hands on the back of my neck. I can’t help but look down into her mesmerizing icy blue eyes. A smile forms on my face as I stare at her. She’s absolutely breathtaking. I move my hands up to her back where they find the open spot in her dress. I place my hands on her back and feel goosebumps forming. I hear her gasp slightly at the feeling of my cold hands on her hot skin.

Tessa’s POV

He stared deep in my eyes while the rain pattered against our bare skin. Thunder began rumbling in the distance, causing him to look into the distance. I took this opportunity to study his flawless expression. His wet hair had now fallen flat on his forehead, reaching down to cover his charming emerald eyes. He looks back at me and smiles as he quickly spins me around. I let out a yelp as the world moves around me. Closing his eyes, he starts to hum a tune and I giggle a little at his attempt to charm me. I close my eyes and take in the moment with my best friend. Suddenly a loud boom echoes in the sky, followed by a blinding light. Both of our eyes shoot open as we stare at each other in shock. A smile forms on his face before we both start laughing. 

As our laughter dies down, I find my hand making its way to the side of his face. We fall silent. The only sound being the roaring of the thunder and the falling of the rain. He pulls me closer to his body until there is no space between us. He reaches his hand up to my face and cups it in his large hand. Slowly, he brings my face closer to his until I can feel his hot breath linger over my lips. 

AJ’s POV

My eyes are closed but I can feel her lips close to mine. We both freeze right there, unsure on what to do. This is something I’ve always wanted. She is what I’ve always wanted. With my hand still cupping her face, I press my lips onto hers. A slight gasp leaves her soft lips before she sinks into the kiss. This feeling is like nothing I’ve ever felt before. It’s euphoric. 

Tessa’s POV

Before I realize what’s happening, I feel AJ’s lips brush over mine softly before pulling my lips onto his. I couldn’t believe what was happening. I was actually kissing AJ. We stand there, bodies pressed together and lips moving against each other in sync. I could feel my heart bursting with excitement. It’s like everything around us has stopped, it’s just me and AJ. 

He pulls away slowly, his breath ragged. I open my eyes and look into his as we both smile.

“Wow” he whispers.

“Yeah”

“I- I uh-” he struggled to speak.

“What?” 

He takes a deep breath, “I love you, Tess.”

I giggle quietly, “I love you too, Alex”

He leans in and gives me another deep kiss before backing away and closing his eyes.

“Ok, here goes. Tessa Curtis, will you be my girlfriend?” He says, the words spilling out fast.

I stand there in shock before throwing my arms around his neck and give him a peck on the lips. “I would love to”

His eyes light up and he backs away. He reaches his arms up high and smiles bright.

“WOOO YES!” He screams as he runs around, dancing through the puddles.

I stand there in the pouring rain, laughing and taking in the sight before me. I don’t know what I did to deserve someone like him but I’m going to do everything I can to cherish him and this love we have.

September 19, 2021 07:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Phoenix Osborne
21:16 Dec 11, 2021

Encouraging you to make more!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Winchester
18:29 Sep 30, 2021

This was a sweet story! I’m a sucker for romance 😂. I like the different POVs, but I think you can make each POV longer before switching. It’s a little choppy. Overall, good job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.