2 comments

Contemporary Creative Nonfiction Drama

   Montreal is a city like no other. I was born and raised there. The winters were long and dreadful. I remember going skating and almost getting frost bite on my toes. I had to warm my feet by the furnace. The snow capped mountains made by the snow plows were great for tobogganing. But the months of January and February are bitter cold. 

   Montreal is in the province of Quebec in Canada. Quebec being the only french speaking province in Canada. But don’t let that intimidate you Montrealer’s are a different breed then the rest of the province. They speak both english and french mostly at the same time. Seriously, though Montreal is a thoroughly bilingual city with lots of attractions for tourists.

   I grew up going to La Ronde. An amusement park that is huge and very enjoyable for kids of all ages. There is old Montreal which is a port on the Saint Lawrence river. There are plenty of restaurants and churches. In the summer time there is street art which is just spectacular along the cobble stone roads of old Montreal. You can still take a carriage ride along the streets of Montreal and the old port. Feeling transported to a different time when the city was a settlement. 

   Growing up I went to Catholic school. Montreal and Quebec in general being a predominate Catholic province. I remember in school we had a subject called Moral and Social Development. Basically a religious course but not just about spiritual matters. You would think since I grew up in Montreal I’d know how to speak french but I went to english school. My parents were english also. So there was not a lot of opportunity to practice my french. I remember a little french but I’ve lived here now for over 25 years. I don’t remember much french. Growing up there was confusing you never knew what language someone spoke. I moved to Toronto once I finished school just because the language issues were so complicated. If you remember your history that’s when the Parti Quebecois was in power in the province. The city went from being the most populated in Canada to being second to Toronto. Due to the mass exodus of Anglophones leaving the province.

   Anyway, Montreal survived the politics and know hosts one of the largest Jazz festivals in North America. There is no place like Montreal in the summertime. Saint Catherine street is packed with pedestrians. They call it a walking city. Most of downtown is accessible on foot. The museums, symphony hall and the huge shopping mall which is made so that in winter you don’t have to go outdoors. It is a series of shopping malls all connected for the convenience of the pedestrian. Also, the Metro is connected to the malls. It is so alive in the summer that you get the feeling it is the center of the universe. Of course, the city only has three short months of warm weather. So, it makes the most of the sunshine while it can.

   The city also has a very lively night life. Crescent street is packed with tourists and locals on the terraces sipping on a cool drink. The views are amazing whether your at the old port or in the heart of the city. The city is clean for the most part. That’s what tourists say about it. I remember my University days spending some time checking out the night life of the city.

   The city is easy to get around it has a Metro which is easy to get on and off all over the city. Even if you’re going to the Olympic stadium to watch a game the Metro is your best bet for transportation. The whole lines are underground and it’s quite fast. I use to take the Metro every day to school downtown. It was fast and convenient and within minutes from my University. I feel like a tour guide but actually the public transportation is one of the best in the world. It's all underground for a reason the snow and weather in the winter would make it impossible to function during the winter months.

   I guess you could call Montreal a culturally diverse city. China town is not far from downtown. I use to meet my friend there and we would go for dim sum on the weekends. The food was excellent and the service was good too. I guess that is why they call Montreal the city of restaurants and churches. There are ethnic communities all over the city and like New York it is somewhat of a melting pot. There are old Jewish communities, West Indian communities and Muslim communities. All offering there unique foods to eat. You can find them all at Atwater market and various food courts through out the city.

   One of the big attractions in Montreal is Saint Joseph’s Oratory. It is on Mount Royal and can be seen for miles all around the city. My mother use to take me there when I was little. It is a huge Oratory and thousands of tourists visit every year. Brother Andre would be surprised at how important and popular the Oratory has become. He was the founder and visionary of the Oratory. He is now a Saint. When I was young I thought the stairs were so high you could see heaven from them. It was a place of comfort and worship for my family. Although there are many cathedrals in Montreal. Saint Joseph’s Oratory holds special memories for me since I visited it many times growing up. Apparently, Brother Andre cured the sick and was known as a Miracle man in Montreal around the 1920’s. 

   Montreal’s uniqueness is why thousands of tourist flock there every year. The culture is different then in any other North American city. The French add a European flavor not found this side of the Atlantic. The French are huge wine drinkers and some of the best wines you can find in Montreal at not too highly priced. They also like to pamper themselves so some of the best spa’s are found in and around Montreal. The city although a bustling metropolis has a way of pacing itself. You can find hidden treasures in this city. The Cafe with the perfect view of the water. The artist that offers you a quaint picture of the city at a bargain price. A little momentum from a wonderful trip to a place that seems foreign yet belongs exactly where it is. In all truth I’m happy I grew up there. When it’s all said and done there is no place like home.  

March 15, 2021 17:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Ann Layne
19:17 Sep 08, 2022

Thanks for the lovely comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
07:19 Sep 08, 2022

Thanks for sharing this beautiful blog with such a nice information and we also provide home renovation And stairs development service at toronto , you can check our website related to this service. visit our websites www.equalityconstructioninc.com

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.