Connection Lost, Connection Found

Submitted into Contest #115 in response to: Write a story where a device goes haywire.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Romance

Content Warning: Sexual Content: I had been on this new dating site for almost a year without a single date, not even a promising prospect. I had little expectation of finding anyone today either as I logged in and starting scrolling. I had to scroll to the right so much, my hand just seemed to automatically flick the images in that direction, then I saw him. He was gorgeous and his eyes just seemed to speak to me. Yes, I’ll admit it, in that moment I wanted to bear his children. He was that fine! Just as I was about to message him, my wi-fi crashed and I lost all contact. “Oh no, Oh no, Oh no!” I repeated that simple two-word phrase frantically as I pounded on the “enter” button to try to get him back. What was his name again? I knew I would never find him again, for such was my luck on dating websites. I rebooted, hoping against hope that my lost internet connection would be restored, it wasn’t. But a soon as I got to my home screen something very strange happened.

   I heard a very sexy voice coming through the screen, “ Did you find her? Were you able to lock onto her signal?”

“Is he crazy? I just lost my wi-fi signal, my next move is to call the internet company and yell at them for their utter incompetence, yet AGAIN!”  I said in a very sarcastic tone of voice. “How is this even happening?” I said in utter disbelief.

  “Is that her?” As I heard that sexy voice again, the owner of it appeared on my screen. It was like I was having a Zoom meeting without being on Zoom. I was absolutely certain I was dreaming. The man that now impossibly appeared on my computer screen was as sexy as his voice. I kinda wished I wasn’t sitting here in my PJs, and that I’d at least brushed my hair before settling down to another dateless Saturday night.

   I gave a little wave to the sexy guy looking back at me. “Hi”, was all I could manage.                   

He gave me a dazzling smile that almost made me swoon, and I begged all the Gods of Romance that I was the “her” that was looking for.  “I’m Tessa, who was it you were looking for, exactly?” I stammered. Behind him a pristine courtyard filled the screen. There was a huge white marble fountain at the center of it, sparkling water flowing from each of three tiers into a clear pool that beautiful golden fish swam around in. I’d never seen fish like this before. The whole scene seemed ethereal.

“I was looking for you, sweet Tessa.  I’m Liam, do you not remember?”

   “No, Liam. I’m sorry, I don’t remember. I’m pretty sure I would have remembered meeting someone like you. Are you sure it’s me you were looking for?”

“I have been searching for you for a very long time, my sweet Tessa.”  He stated simply, and now would very much like to get reacquainted with you as soon as we can make it possible.”

  “How is that even possible? How is it even possible for you to be speaking with me now? I lost my internet signal, so this conversation should not even be possible.”  I just gaped at him like an idiot as I shrugged my shoulders at him.

“The important thing is that I remember you, sweet Tessa. I am not about to lose you again. I am coming to bring you home. I know where you are, and I can be at your side again in two or three of your months.”

   “Two or three of my months?” She stammered

“Ah, my sweet, time moves differently here. Will you meet me here again tomorrow? We can talk about what brought us to this situation, and I will answer any questions you might have about who and where I am and about who you truly are.”

   “Uh, yeah, I guess. Even though I don’t remember you, you are starting to looking familiar to me. I think I’d like to get to know you, again.”  She smiled back at him.

“Thank you for that smile, Tessa. I think I have missed that the most. Until tomorrow, my love.”  He blew her a kiss and the static returned to her screen.  

   Snipets of remembrance were coming to me as I thought about what had just transpired on my computer screen. I had recently been having vague feelings of sadness and desperation.  The desperation of a world on verge of collapse. I’m not sure how I knew the cause of it, I just did.            I would ask Liam tomorrow when we spoke if we spoke. I still wasn’t sure that what just happened, actually happened, but I rather hoped it did. He was coming for me. I liked the sound of that.

   The next night, I dressed as if I was going on a hot date because, in my mind, I was. I knew he wouldn’t be able to see below my waist, so I wore a tasteful form-fitting vee-necked crop top, I wanted to look sexy not slutty. I brushed out my long curls to gleaming perfection and carefully did my makeup, accentuating my grey-blue eyes and high cheekbones. My internet was still down as it was the weekend and my internet company barely worked during the week. So I sat at my computer fifteen minutes earlier than I had yesterday and waited. I wasn’t sure it was all for naught, but I decided that if there was even the slightest opportunity that it was being real, I’d take it.  I opened my computer to my home screen and waited patiently.  Exactly at the appointed time, the static cleared and he seemed to be speaking to me from his bedchamber.  He blinked at me a couple of times, then flashed that amazing smile, I felt my heart melt a little. He looked a little disheveled and his tousled blond hair just made him look more delicious.

“Hi, Liam. I’m so glad you’re not a dream.” I laughed a little to myself. “Are you just waking up?  I’m sorry I disturbed your sleep.”

   “I just woke up. Time works differently here. It’s early morning for me. Yesterday was one day in a very long time of trying to find you, I barely slept. Once I was sure it really was you, I welcomed the first good night’s sleep I’d had in a very long time. You look beautiful, do you have plans for the evening?”  His voice betrayed his disappointment.                                 “Yes, as a matter of fact, I do,” I replied, cheekily. I wanted to look beautiful for him.

  “I didn’t take into consideration that you would have someone in your life. Do you love him?”          

 “It’s not love, yet, but I think it could absolutely develop into love.” I went on mercilessly.                 

   “What’s his name?”  He looked so crestfallen, I had to let him off the hook.

“His name is Liam, and I only just met him last night, but I feel like I’ve known him for a very long time.” I allowed myself a little smile.                                                    

His smile had the brilliance of one hundred suns. “You always loved teasing me, sweet Tessa. You truly wanted to look beautiful for me?”                                                   

 “I truly wanted to look beautiful for you, Liam.” I looked into those clear green eyes and wanted to lose myself in them.                                                                      

   “Well my love, you have outdone yourself. Your outward appearance now almost matches your inner beauty.”  

His words left me breathless.   “Thank you, Liam, it’s nice to find a man who looks for a woman’s inner beauty. Here, most men are only interested in physical beauty, at least initially. It’s been really hard to find someone worthy of a second date.”                                                           

 “I consider myself privileged then to have made it to the second date, and in my bedchamber, no less.” He smiled wickedly. If it were possible for you to join me here, right now, would you?”             

The words flew out of my mouth before I could even think about it. “Yes, in a heartbeat. There is something about you that is drawing me in, and I’m very inclined to let it. I haven’t had a real date in a very long time. In fact, you interrupted my scrolling with your unconventional method of contacting me. I was about to go out on yet another first date, at least I hoped it would end up in a first date. My internet crashed just as I was about to message him, and then you showed up on my home screen. I’m still not exactly sure how that happened, but I am over the moon that it did.”  I stopped to take a breath. “I think I like this version of you better than the more stately version of you, I saw yesterday. Are you in the military, or are you part of a government agency?”                                                                                 

He looked at her and sighed heavily. “I am a member of the royal family. I’m Prince Liam. I was hoping to not have to reveal that little piece of information until we got reacquainted.”              

  “So, it was Prince Liam I met yesterday and Sexy Sleepy Liam showed up this morning?” She had to laugh. “Can I be prim and proper with Prince Liam, and still play the sexy vixen with Sexy Sleepy Liam?”  She asked him directly.  

   “Oh, to have a woman who can accomplish both! Just as you have been trying to meet someone, I have also been trying to meet someone, and not one of all the women I have met with that intention have understood the importance of being both elegant and proper and the sexy vixen and knowing when and where for each to show up.”  He laughed as he rested his head in his hand.                                                                                

  “Let me see”, I said playfully, “you want Lady Tessa on your arm when you have to be Prince Liam and Tessa the sexy vixen in your bed when you are Sexy Sleepy Liam? Did I get that right?” 

  “I have to say that I find both versions extremely sexy, but if I had to choose one over the other, I would definitely have to say that this version of you is the one I most prefer. I think Prince Liam looks regal and yet very comfortable in that role, but this version of you, in your bedchamber is where we can be ourselves with each other, no pretenses, just us.”                                      

   “I wish you could join me here now. I’d like to get to know the sexy vixen right now.”  He gave me a smoldering look as he tapped his rumpled unmade bed. I felt a clenching in my lower stomach and a slight dampness begin to form between my legs.                                    

 “I wish that were possible as well, but since we have to hold off on that particular desire, maybe we can move on to other topics of conversation. I think that would be more comfortable for both of us. I do have a few questions about where you live.”                                          

   “Of course you do. I will do my best to answer them. Hopefully, you will soon be here by my side and I can give you the grand tour. It really is a beautiful place to live."                       

 “Where is it, and what is it called?”  I asked eagerly

   “It’s rather difficult to explain where it is, but it’s called Masyon. It is the most beautiful place in the universe. You saw a small glimpse of the royal palace. The courtyard I was in yesterday is part of the royal palace. I chose it for our first contact because I find it very romantic, especially the fountain, the water is so clear and sweet, it actually can take away some of your sadness."                                                                          

“Have you had to drink from it very much?”  I asked, suddenly very aware of how his demeanor had changed.                                                                      

   “Yes, unfortunately, but now that I have found you again, I’ll never have that reason to drink from it again. It’s getting to be late in the day here, and I have duties. Until tomorrow?”                   

“Yes, yes, until tomorrow.”  Ending this contact with him saddened me in a way I didn’t yet understand. I didn’t like the feeling, not one little bit.  I had the strangest feeling that we would be together in Masyon, before he ever reached me here.

   We spoke to each other for another two to three weeks, I had fallen head over heels in love with him over the course of our nightly chats. One night he was looking particularly sexy and I wanted to “touch” him, so I put my hand up to the screen and went to touch his face on the screen. I’ll never forget the shocked look on both of our faces when my hand made contact with his warm soft cheek. He took my hand in his and kissed the palm. He looked at me with raised eyebrows and gestured to his bedchamber. I nodded and the next thing I knew, I was in his bed.  We made love all night long, just touching each other. We couldn’t get enough of each other. There was a light tap on the door the next morning. “Excuse me, your highnesses, but the King and Queen await your presence in the courtyard.”     

   “We mustn’t keep the King and Queen waiting.” He looked at me expectantly.               

 “I literally have nothing to wear.” I was starting to panic. He led me over to an armoire that was filled with gorgeous dresses that were just my size. Liam took out a gorgeous Slate blue gown that was edged with cream-colored lace at the sleeves and hem. The neckline was modest but showed a little cleavage, the bodice was tight and the skirt was full. He took out the shoes that matched and bent to put them lovingly on my feet. He dressed in his stately best and offered me his arm. “Shall we?” he asked as he escorted me to the palace courtyard and brought me over to the fountain where that sweet, clear water flowed. The King and Queen nodded approvingly as Liam scooped a cupful of the sparkling water into a small silver cup and handed it to me. He whispered, “Take a sip and then pass it to me.”  I took a small sip and as I handed it to Liam, the memories came flooding back. I wavered a little and Liam caught me around the waist. “Perhaps she should sit for a few minutes.” The Queen looked concerned. Liam’s arm around my waist gave me strength. “I’m all right, now. I’m home.”                                              

 “Oh my dear boy, I’m so happy you finally found her.” The King gave you a chaste kiss on the forehead. “Welcome home, my dear.”                                                           

   “We have a wedding to plan.” The Queen exclaimed happily.                                   

 Liam and I were married a week later. Looking back on this whole experience, all I can say is, “Who needs an internet connection anyway!”

October 10, 2021 19:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.