All I want for Christmas.

Submitted into Contest #73 in response to: Write about someone who gets proposed to five times on Christmas Eve.... view prompt

7 comments

Christmas Romance Happy

The house on the hill is bright and busy with excitement. It is already past noon and the party is to start at five. The busiest and brightest room is where I’ll start my story.

Three girls are in different stages of getting ready. I’ll describe them to you as we watch.

The oldest, Jane, is eighteen and pretty. She has dark blue eyes and hair that can’t decide if it is blonde or brown. Her yellow ball gown is trimmed with brown making her look like a sunflower. In the middle is Eliza, sometimes mistaken as the oldest or Jane’s twin, her cobalt blue dress sets off her curly blonde hair and brings out her eyes. May is the youngest, her dark brown hair and green eyes set her apart from her sisters. She is dressed in pine green with lace lining her collar. Her spirit hasn’t quite left childhood yet even though her body has and she is receiving a lecture on proper behaviour.

“Make sure you don’t run around or tell people what you think of their outfits unless it’s good.” Says Jane.

“And don’t be too loud.” Eliza adds.

“Girls, the carriage is ready.” Their brother John calls from downstairs.

After double checking themselves in the mirror the girls float down the stairs in a river of silk. Their mother gives them each a kiss and their father praises their beauty and then they head out the door to their waiting carriage and brother.

Upon arrival Jane’s friend Katherine hurries out of the house to meet them.

“You’re late.” She says.

“It’s Eliza’s fault.” Says Jane.

Eliza promptly objects but their argument is cut short as the door opens and they are ushered into the party.

After giving their coats and bonnets to a maid Eliza and May go to find their friends. Jane and Kat enter the ballroom together with their arms linked.

“Do you think he’ll ask you tonight?” Kat asks.

“I don’t know.” Jane blushes “I hope so.” She adds.

Katherine’s fiancé appears and asks her to dance. Before they leave he adds “My brother is looking for you Jane.”

Jane nods a thanks then moves to stand by the wall. She scans the crowd of dancers but evidently doesn’t find who she is looking for. Her face falls but then brightens slightly as a boy approaches her.

“Hello Andrew, George said you were looking for me.” She says.

“Yes, do you want to go for a walk?” He asks, running his hand through his already messy hair.

“I just got here, and besides it’s cold outside.” Jane answers.

“Alright, guess I’ll just ask here then. Jane, will you marry me?” His eyes are brimming with mischief and a smile is tugging at his lips.

“Really Andy?” she asks in confusion.

“No, but Ned dared me to ask you.” Andrew says releasing the smile.

“Oh good.” Jane says in relief, then with a grin of her own, “Go ask Eliza, she might say yes.”

“Yes ma’am.” He says, sobering and giving a mock salute.

He walks away and she only has time for a quick laugh before Richard Chester asks her to dance. Jane looks around quickly hoping for a polite escape, finding none she accepts and resigns herself to her fate.

Neither of them speak for a few minutes and Jane begins to hope that it will stay that way. But Richard breaks the silence.

“Jane, I know we haven’t always been friends but I want you to know that I think very highly of you and your family.” He says.

“Thank you.” She says forcing a smile.

But he isn’t finished, “What I’m really trying to say is, will you do me the honour of becoming my wife?”

Flowers and glances had foreshadowed this proposal and she already knew her answer.

“I’m afraid I shall have to decline.” Jane answers, trying for dignity and landing closer to awkward.

Richard’s face scrunches together in frustration and shame but he didn’t sayanything and when the dance is over bows coldly. The bell rings for supper and they are both saved from parting words.

The meal passes without incident and Jane begins to enjoy herself. Eliza is sitting beside Andrew and both of them are wearing a glow of joy.

“Have you seen him yet?” Kat asks.

“No, he must be coming late.” Jane says, trying not to give up hope.

“I saw you dancing with Richard.” George teases from the other side of Kat.

“I was trying to be polite, and besides now I got it over with.” she says.

Kat hides her grin, or tries to and the conversation moves to pleasanter things.

After a few hours of dancing and talking everyone is tired and hot. A few people begin to go home and the hall and entryway become crowded.

“Are we leaving soon?” Eliza asks after pushing her way through people to find Jane.

Jane nods, her lips tight and eyes wandering. A breath of fresh air wafts past her and she leaves her sister to find its source.

The door to a small balcony is open and the wind is blowing the curtains. Jane steps outside and lets down her shawl to savour the coolness.

“Hello Miss Hale.” A voice says from the other side of the balcony.

Jane starts and turns around. A tall dark haired young man is leaning against the railing.

“Oh, William, you scared me.” Jane says, suddenly feeling uncomfortable.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to.” He says “How are your parents?”

“Very well, thank you. And yours?”

“They’re alright. They haven’t been very pleased with me lately.” He says.

“Why not?” Jane asks, more at ease.

“They want me to get married.” He admits, “They suggested you.” It almost sounds like a question.

“Oh?” she is curious now.

“It would work, we’ve been friends since we were children and we’re both from good families.”

“But do you love me William?” Jane asks.

“Not yet, but I think I could.” He answers.

“Maybe, but you might become bitter because of me.” She says. “I don’t think it’s a good idea.”

“You’re probably right.” He says with a small smile, “Thank you Jane.”

“You’re welcome.”

“Jane, Eliza and John are waiting for you at the carriage.” May calls from the door.

“Coming.”

Outside Richard ambushes her before she reaches the carriage.

“Jane, I’m sorry about before.” He says.

“That’s alright.” she says.

“No, I mean I must not have been clear. Will you marry me?” He asks.

“You were perfectly clear and I still say no.” She says irritated now.

“But-”

“She said no.” This time it’s John beside her.

He takes her arm and escorts her away.

The ride home is full of laughter and stories. Eliza talks constantly about Andrew and May brags about how good she was. But even with all the joy Jane can’t help feeling sad. She was proposed to four times in one night but none of them was the one she wanted.

She’s the last to leave the carriage and enter the house. Jane closes the door and leans against it, a sigh escapes her.

She starts walking away, climbing the stairs slowly to her room, when a knock sounds at the door.

She turns around as May rushes to open it. Snow is falling now, landing softly on the young man standing expectantly on the steps. He has red hair and dark brown eyes with a twinkle in them.

“Sorry to disturb you so late, is Jane here?” He asks.

May promptly slams the door in his face and runs up the stairs past Jane.

“You’re not allowed to get married yet!” She yells.

Jane laughs and rushes to open the door again. The man is still standing there and he smiles when he sees her. She steps outside shutting the door behind her.

“You didn’t come, Horatio.” She says quietly.

“I didn’t get home until eight, so I decided to come by here instead.” He says.

The snow makes her eyelashes heavy “I understand.”

“I bought that farm today.” Horatio says “I’m planning on moving there next week.”

“Oh? Her eyes fill with hope.

“Yeah, it’s not much. It needs a women’s touch.”

“And who would that be?”

“You.” He says taking her hand. “If you’ll have me.”

“With all my heart.”

The End.

December 25, 2020 14:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Keri Dyck
02:37 Dec 26, 2020

🥰🥰🥰 just read it again and got the same happy feels all over again :)

Reply

Hallie Blatz
15:54 Dec 26, 2020

I’m so glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bonnie Clarkson
20:49 Mar 31, 2021

Good characterization. Good dialogue. I counted 4 is in first paragraph. Is leaning can be tightened to leaned. Keep writing.

Reply

Hallie Blatz
11:42 Apr 04, 2021

Thank you so much for taking the time to critique!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keri Dyck
02:29 Dec 26, 2020

🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰 I am so happy right now!!!!!! And a good bit of my happiness is that his name was Horatio :)

Reply

Hallie Blatz
15:54 Dec 26, 2020

😊 I figured you’d like it 😜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hallie Blatz
14:22 Dec 25, 2020

I tried something completely different with this story and kind of out of my comfort zone. Not sure if I like it yet but it was a lot of fun to write.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.