1 comment

Fantasy Bedtime Adventure

“Jade, are you ready for Mommy to read you a bedtime story?”

“Yes, Mommy,” I ran in with my blankie and Mr. Teddy.

“Sit in Mommy’s lap.” She patted her leg and I hopped on. “Oof! That’s my widdle boy!” She kissed my head.

I giggled.

She picked the book up.

“The Lonely Prince.”

“Ooh!” I said, cuddling up.

She opened it to the first page. “Once upon a time, there was a prince named Prince Panini Head.”

“That’s a silly name. Panini Head!”

“Yes, sweetheart. And he was very lonely because he lived all alone in his castle.”

“Where was his mommy and daddy?”

“They were fighting dragons, far away.”

“Oh.”

“Anyway, the prince wanted company, so he took a stroll outside, looking for a friend.”

“Wait, did he live in a castle?”

“Yes, but no one was there.”

“Oh.”

“So, the prince continued his walk and entered the dark forest.”

“Uh-oh!”

“Scary sounds echoed throughout the forest, but the prince said in a brave voice, voice, ‘No spooky forest can frighten me!’ so he continued searching until he spotted a treasure chest.” She turned the page. “The prince ran toward it, but a ghost appeared.”

“A g-ghost?” I stammered, hugging Mr. Teddy.

“Yeah... The ghost warned the prince that he must give up something valuable if he wanted to escape his kingdom and go to the Ninth Realm, where he could have all the friends he wanted. If he took the treasure, he would become a frog.”

“A frog?”

“Yes, do you wanna become a frog?”

I shook my head. “No.”

“Me neither! Anyway... The prince ignored the ghost’s warning and stole the treasure.”

“He shouldn’t have done that! That stinker!”

“Yes, honey. He is a stinker!” She turned the page. “The prince brought the treasure to his castle and counted the gold. ‘I can buy all the friends in the world!’ he said. And that is just what he did."

“Wait, that’s slavery!”

“Huh, you’re right!” She turned the page. “Anyway… He woke up the next day, looked in the mirror, and… he started turning green.”

“I know what happens next.”

“And he started croaking, ’What’s —RIBBIT— happening to me? Oh no, I’m a FROG!’"

I giggled, “You make funny frog noises!”

“Why, thank you, sweetie,” She kissed my forehead then read on. “He hopped back through the woods and returned the treasure. ‘I’m sorry I took your treasure,’ he croaked. The ghost turned him back into a prince. And teleported him to the Ninth Realm, where he made many friends. The End.”

“Great story, Mommy.” I hopped down.

“Thank you! Well, I’m going to bed now. And you should too. You have school in the morning. You have a good night.”

“Thank you, Mommy. I love you.” I jumped into bed like a little froggy.   

Mommy laughed. “Love you too, ni-ni.” She kissed my head, walked out, and closed the door. I hugged Mr. Teddy.

The prince appeared. “Hello, young lad!"

“What?” I rubbed my eyes.

“I’m Prince PinniniHead and I’m looking for a friend.”

“MOMMY!” I screamed.

The prince vanished.

“Great,” I murmured.

The door opened. “What is it, sweetheart?”

“I had a bad dream,” I lied.

“Oh, honey, I’m so sorry!” She stroked my cheek. “Do you wanna tell me about it?”

“No, Mommy.”

“OK, sweetheart. I’m here if you need anything.” She walked to my shelf and turned my new teddy bear night light on. “There, he will protect you from any more bad dreams.”

“Thanks, Mommy. I love you.”

“I love you too, goodnight!” She closed the door behind her.

OK, last week, a damn pixie pranked the hell out of me, and now a prince appeared in my room from a story. Crazy! I hugged Mr. Teddy and it wasn’t long before I went to sleep.

 

The next day at lunch, I sat down with Lora. “Lora, Lora, last night, my mommy read me a story about a prince, and he appeared in my room.”

“Yeah, right!” She rolled her hazel eyes.

"What about that pixie?”

“Good point, but what do you want me to do about it?”

“I don’t know. I don't know what he’ll do.”

“I could sleep over at your house tonight.”

“What about my infantile behavior?”

“Dude, I don’t care. You just said your mommy read you a bedtime story aloud in the cafeteria full of peeps.”

“Oh, yeah, I did.”


 So, Lora and I went to my house after school.

Mommy walked in. “Hi, Lora.”

“Hey, Ms. Boenononom.”

“How’s school?”

“Alright, getting good grades.”

“That is good. I am proud of Jade, getting good grades.”

I blushed. “Mom!”

“Oh! Get over it!” She waved her hand. “You guys want anything?”

“No, Ms. Boenonononom.”

“Alright. Don’t have too much fun.”

 “We won’t, Mommy… I mean Mom.”

“Thank you, Ms. Boenomomomom,” Lora said and started walking. I followed her into my room.

“Nice stuffy collection.”

“Thanks.”

“I had a gray stuffed dog like that.” She pointed to Mr. Woofums sitting elegantly on my bed.

“Cool, what was his or her name?”

“Ms. Barky.” Her cheeks turned red.

“That's a funny name!” I giggled, then quickly cleared my throat.

The prince appeared. “Well, young lad, will you be my friend?”

“He’s here!”

“I don’t see anyone.”

“Oh, great!”

“Well, I’m waiting…” the prince said.

“Just to be clear. I am the only one who can see you.”

“That’s correct, young lad.”

“I thought so. You’re lonely, right?”

“That’s correct. I’m very lonely.”

“Uh, dude. I can’t tell if this is real, or you’re trying to trick me, or what?” Lora said.

“Why can’t you find someone else? Why me?” I asked the prince.

“Because you have the mind of a toddler.”

“OK…”

“No one else can hear my words because they shut their imagination off.”

“But plenty of people use their imagination.”

“Yes, but none are as pure as yours.”

“This is crazy.”

“What is?” Lora asked.

“Since I have a good imagination, I am the only one who can communicate with him.”

“Uh, OK.”

“What will it be, young lad?” asked the prince.

“K, fine, I’ll be your friend.”

“Excellent! I’ll send a chariot at eight for you.”

“What?”

“To take you to my kingdom.”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa, you want me to go to your kingdom?”

He disappeared.

“Hello?”

A note appeared in the air and floated down in my hand. “Sir Jade, meet me out

front—” 

“What are you reading?”

“This note.”

“What note?”

“This note in my hand!” I waved it at her.

“I don’t see no note.”

“Great, the note is invisible too.”

“This is weird, dude.”

“No shit.”

“What does the rest of it say?”

”It says to wear my onesie and wait outside.”

 “What?”

“Yeah.”

Lora pulled her phone out and looked. "I’d like to go, but I have to study for my algebra test.”

“Oh, yeah!”

“Sorry, dude.”

“Good luck!” I called after her. I got a feeling she was too weirded out. I understand. I was too.

 

“Mommy, I’m going out for a little bit. I'll be back before din-din."

“OK, sweetheart. Do you have your phone?”

“Yes.”

“OK. Have fun!”

“I will. Bye-bye.” I opened the front door and walked out. I went to the end of the driveway. “OK, I’m out in the dark, wearing my onesie, waiting for an imaginary prince. Fantastic!”

I gasped as a gold chariot with a bright red horse trotted in the street. I continued gawking as it rolled on. He thrashed the horse’s restraints to stop in front of my driveway. “Hello, young lad!” The prince smiled.

“OK, I’m trippin’.”

“What is this trip you speak of?”

“Nothin’. Why is the horse red?”

“Why not?”

I sighed.

 “Come on, get in, friend."

“It's a school night."

“Then, I’ll have you home before curfew.”

“Well…”

“Don't you want to go to a faraway kingdom?”

I looked at the brown-bearded prince. He wore a long burgundy robe.

I didn’t have homework, so I said, “Alright,” and got in.

“Off we go!” He whipped the horse and we appeared in what looked to be the sixteenth century.

A huge white castle glittered in the sunlight. A moat with crystal clear water surrounded the magnificent structure. And a blankie of colorful flowers covered the land.

“Wow!” I said as we crossed the bridge.

“Welcome to  my castle!” Prince Panini Head hopped off the chariot and threw the doors open. Golden sunshine poured through the windows. “Do you like it, sir?”

“It's awesome! I always wanted to visit a castle.”

“Are you hungry? I could make you something."

“You cook?”

“Well, I have to since my parents are off fighting dragons.”

“I’m sorry.”

"I'm just glad I have a friend.”

I smiled.

“So, tell me about yourself.”

“I thought you knew about me.”

“I do, but I want to know more."

“Um, OK. Well, I’m, uh, play with my stuffed animals.”

"I already knew that.”

“See, you already know everything about me.”

“Oh, I suppose I do. Does thou need nourishment?”

“No, thanks.”

“Alright.”

“So, `what now.”

“I do not know; I’ve never had a friend before.”

“Never had a friend?”

Prince Pinnini Head shook his head. “No, I never had. He turned around. “Come on,there's still a lot to see!" He showed me his bedroom, kitchen, and his courtyard. It was cool. I particularly liked the courtyard where people trained to be knights!

“And this is the dungeon, where thieves are imprisoned.”

“The cells are empty.”

“I just disposed of the bodies, and there hasn’t been any thievery for days.”

“Oh.”

 “Have you fenced before?”

“No.”

“Would you like to learn?”

“Sure.” 

He picked the sword up from the floor and handed it to me.

 “If I attack you first, you try to parry or deflect my sword, then repost, or attack me.”

“OK.”

“Try it.” He raised his sword and slashed at me.

I slashed back and knocked his sword and hit his chest.

“Superb job, my lad!"

“Thanks,” I replied and lashed out and he leaped back, my sword inches from his chest. 

“You have a knack for this.”

“Well, I play Knights of Elmore on Nintendo Switch.”

”What is this you speak of?”

“It's a video game. You’ve never seen me play?”

“No.”

“How long have you watched me for?”

“A couple days. It was after your mother read you about me, I decided to reveal myself.”

“But that story is a fairy tale. How could it be true?”

“I had a potion made for Abby Liftyon that when she drank it, she knew about me and wrote that book.”

“Wow! So she magically learned about you?”

“Not exactly the information was disguised as something from her own imagination.”

“Wow! That’s awesome!”

“Indeed!”

“What next?”

“Are you hungry?”

“A little.”

"Let's eat. Shall we?”

I followed him into the dining hall.

I looked around and sighed.

“What's wrong?”

“Nothing.”

"Your expression says otherwise.”

“It's just that my mommy feeds me dinner.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah.”

“Would you like to return home?”

I opened my mouth to reply, but a huge roar erupted outside.

“What was that?” 

The wall came down, and a green dragon soared in.

I screamed as the beast flew over my head. It inhaled and breathed a ring of fire. Prince PinniniHead drew his sword and slashed at its tail. The dragon whipped its tail, sending him crashing into the table.

“PRINCE PANINI HEAD!” I shouted, and the dragon looked at me.

“Oh, shit!” 

It growled, showing its blood-stained teeth, and snapped its jaws at me. I jumped and rushed out. BANG! The dragon crashed into something behind. My heart pounded as I dashed through the hall. The dragon bellowed as its rapid footsteps shook the floor. I made it to the end and turned into the kitchen. I glanced back as the dragon

busted through the entry.

ROOOAAARRR! The dragon looked around. I pressed my body against the table as footsteps thudded on the floor. My heart was a congo drum, beating fast. I got on my hands and knees and crawled like the teenage baby I was. An oven was straight ahead. 

The dragon turned its head and roared.

“SHIT!” I hollered and scrambled towards the oven. The dragon ran as I moved as fast as I could.

I opened it and squinched in. I crouched down and slammed it shut.

BANG!

The impact shook like an earthquake.

The dragon roared…then I heard footsteps trotting away, then…

Silence. I waited for a few seconds, then very slowly, opened the oven. I looked. No dragon. I jumped out and walked into the hall. Rubble was everywhere. The columns were damaged, Even the ceiling was smashed through.

Then, I saw Prince Pinninihead. A piece of a column trapped him. I ran over and tried lifting it. “Thank Heaven you're alive!”

“Let's celebrate when I get you out,” I said and pulled. The chunk of stone started to budge as I grunted and flexed my muscles. I lifted it up enough for the prince to move his leg out and I let go.

“Thank you, Sir Jade."

I leaned over and panted. “No prob, is your leg alright?”

"It aches a bit, but I'll be fine.”

“Good." I looked around. “Man, that dragon wrecked everything!”

“Yes, sadly it did."

"I'm sorry."

“It's alright. All that matters is your safety."

“But your castle is half-gone.”

“I’ll have it rebuilt."

“Alright... Hey, didn't you encounter a ghost that warned you must give up something valuable?"

“Yes, and I gave my cousin up."

“What?”

“He was annoying anyway."

“You're joking, right?”

“No."

“OK, then…”

“Jade, dinner!'' Mommy called, and everything turned back into the dark driveway. 

"Comming, Mommy!" I walked back to the porch.

“Why are you in your onesie outside?”

“Well, I, um—”

“Come on. Your food is getting cold. You can tell me later.” She motioned me in.

“Here's your bibby-wibby.” She tied my choo-choo bib around my neck.

“Mommy?”

“Yes, sweetie?”

I told her. 

“Wow! So, that's what you were doing! My little adventurer!” She pinched my cheeks.

I giggled.

It didn’t matter if she believed me. All that mattered was I made a new friend!


April 10, 2021 02:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

TJ Squared
03:36 Apr 27, 2021

nice part 2! I liked the metaphors and the whole plot behind it :) Great job, Charlie!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.