0 comments

Coming of Age Sad Romance

Yoonki had driven to May's house without thinking about how he would be getting back home. Now he was stuck there, drunk, more depressed than usual and in his underwear.


May was not nearly as drunk as Yoonki but she was drunk enough to know that she wanted him, he wanted her and she finally had the courage to admit it.


* * *

Yoonki woke up with the sun shining in his face. He squinted his eyes and turned his head to see May sleeping beside him. She had her petite arms wrapped around his naked torso. 


His head hurt and he felt dirty and sticky. He slid out of May's hold and picked his clothes up off of the ground. He walked into the bathroom, washed his clothes in the sink, hung them up and then took a quick shower.


When he was done he wrapped a towel around his waist and walked out of the bathroom. His clothes weren't dry yet so he just sat on the bed and looked at May's tanned face.


Fifteen minutes later she slowly opened her eyes and looked back at him before wincing and pulling a hand out of the sheets to hold her head.


"Ah." She moaned as she gently massaged her head. The moan reminded Yoonki of the events of last night as they unfolded in his mind. He wasn't sure whether or not he regretted it.


May sat up and was hit by a cold wind to her bare chest. As soon as the wind hit her she realized that she was still naked and quickly pulled the bed sheets up around herself as her cheeks turned to a deep crimson color.


Yoonki stood up from the bed and walked silently into the bathroom. He came out a minute later with his still slightly damp clothes on.


"I'm going." Yoonki stated as he started to walk towards the door.


"Wait! Why don't you stay for breakfast?" May asked. Yoonki stopped with his hand on the doorknob and thought for a second.


"I've got work. I can't be late." He turned the handle only to be stopped by her voice again.


"You should eat first! It's unhealthy not to eat breakfast. I can make it quick. My older sister's probably already made breakfast. Just give me ten minutes and I'll be ready." May jumped out of the bed with the sheet around her slim body and ran into the bathroom leaving Yoonki standing there, trying to make up his mind.


His head still hurt and he wasn't in the mood to stay there. He opened the door and walked out of the room. After trying to find his way out of the house for a few minutes he ended up in the kitchen, face to face with a young woman that he found much more attractive than the one he had ended up in bed with.


"I didn't get any sleep last night thanks to you guys." The girl stated as she lifted the coffee pot off of the machine and pour some into a cup. She held the cup out to Yoonki and he took it after a second of hesitation.


"Thanks." He took a sip. "Are you the older sister?" He asked. She nodded her head.


"My name's April." She held out her hand as Yoonki chuckled. "What?"


"I guess your mom really liked months." He shook her hand. "Yoonki."


"Nice to meet you."


"Do you have any other siblings? Maybe someone named September?" He laughed.


"We have one other sister named March. Our mom named us after the months we were born in."


"That's interesting. You were all born in a different month. One after the other. Cool."


May stepped into the kitchen. "Good morning, April." May said as she grabbed a cup and poured herself some coffee.


"Morning, May. I made you guys some breakfast if you want some." April said as she waved her hand at the table. There was a large plate of eggs with four pieces of toast on the side. there was a bottle of ketchup sitting on the table next to two empty plates.


Yoonki walked to the table and sat down. He grabbed an empty plate and a fork to scrape some of the eggs onto his plate. He grabbed two pieces of toast, taking a bite of one as he set the other one on his plate. He looked over to see both of the girls looking at him.


"What?" He asked.


"I thought you had work." May said. Yoonki laughed.


"I can make time for breakfast. Plus, you begged me to stay. It would be rude not to."


Both girls laughed. May sat down and grabbed some food for herself.


"Aren't you going to sit down?" Yoonki asked April.


"I already ate." She replied as she left the room.


* * *

Yoonki sat at his desk thinking about everything. His dad was dead, he caught the wrong person on his case and he had slept with a girl that he had only met once before that. He found her sister more attractive than her and that was one problem. The biggest problem was the fact that he couldn't remember whether or not he used protection. He didn't buy stuff like that because he didn't usually do stuff like that but maybe May had something. He was really worried and he was back to being his usual, depressed, self.


He made it through his work day. Barely. For the majority of the day he was just worrying about all of his problems and his partner noticed pretty quickly but got nothing out of him.


3 weeks later

Yoonki had gotten the afternoon off and was taking a nap when the ringing of his phone woke him up. He slowly rolled over and grabbed his phone.


"Hello?"


All Yoonki could hear was crying on the other end of the phone. It didn't seem like happy crying either.


"Who is this?" He pulled the phone away from his ear and checked the caller ID. "May?" He asked. He could tell that whoever was on the other end was trying to stop crying. He gave them a second to calm down and then spoke. "What's wrong?"


"I think it's better if we talk in person. Can you come over?"


"How about you come here this time. I'll send you the address."


* * *

"What did you want to talk about?" Yoonki asked as he handed May a glass of water and sat down on the couch next to her. She drank all of it in one go and then covered her face with her hands after she set the glass down. Yoonki saw the tears running down her hands as she sniffed. She was crying again. "What is it?" She mumbled something while crying but Yoonki couldn't hear it. "What?" She looked into Yoonki's eyes and repeated what she had said a little louder.


"I'm pregnant."


1 year later

It was Christmas once again. The beautiful white snowflakes majestically fell to the ground and blanketed it in a white sheet of crystals.


"Hon, would you grab the plates please?" May said.


"Yeah. Here." May's husband handed their baby girl over to her and grabbed some plates.


"Thank you, Yoonki."


When Yoonki first found out that she was pregnant, he wasn't very pleased. He had a job to do. He didn't have time for a child. He didn't even know the girl that well.


Out of the many things he was, he wasn't a jerk so, he promised to take care of May and the baby. He said nothing about being present as a father but he would make sure that she was safe through the pregnancy and he would provide for the child until she got married and had a husband to help take care of the kid.


After only a few months of taking care of May he started to really fall for her. He didn't know when exactly it happened or how but it did and it changed his life. For the better.


They got married when she was just starting to show a little. It was a little rushed because she didn't want to look pregnant in the dress and she didn't want to wait till the baby was born.


They've now been married for (nearly) a complete year. They're daughter, `December had been born near the beginning of the month. May had gotten home from the hospital just a few days before with their brand new baby.


Can I just jump in here and finish off?

What? No. I'm the author.

Whatever. I'm doing it.

Yoonki, no. I-

Shut up. I'm talking now. I wasn't expecting to fall for May. I was just doing the right thing and then she tricked me into loving her. That's what happened.

Didn't you technically make the first move?

Shut up. Anyway, December is the cutest baby in the world and no one can beat that adorable face. I don't know if you've ever seen a Korean-black child but.... it's the most beautiful thing you'll ever see.

I think I need to end the story now, Yoonki. You can tell them more la-

Did I not tell you to shut the fuck up?

........

Good. Anyway. I love my wife and I love my daughter sooooo much. Please have a very Merry Christmas!

December 13, 2020 02:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.