0 comments

Fantasy

"Do you want me to die then?" My Mom screamed, drowning out my father's voice. I sighed and plugged in my earbuds. Everyone at home was always fighting and I was tired of it. It was always my mother screaming and my father trying to get her to calm down. My mother, a beautiful women, always threatens to leave my father and I for someone better, but she hasn't yet. My father always said she was just saying that to get what she wanted and that she would never actually do it, but I was always scared to wake up and find her gone.

"For god's sake Sara!" My father yelled."I never said that! Someone needs to collect firewood why can't it be you?"

My mom scoffed again and sat down, like she couldn't be bothered with such mediocrity. "Why can't Rose get it then?" I saw her eyes settle on me. She thought I couldn't hear her due to my earbuds, but she was wrong. "She's young. She'll be able to stand the cold." A cold smile graced her lips."Plus if anything happens to her, it's not like we'll be losing much."

I stood up and locked eyes with the woman I called Mom. "I'll get going, if that's what you want."

I saw my father's eyes grow to the size of saucers, "R-Rose you know she didn't mean that r-right?"

I shrugged. "Not like it matters. Anyways, I'll be back with the firewood." I glanced at Mom. I was used to the rude comments, glances, and hard chores. Everyone's Mom had some flaws right? Unless your Mom is perfect, don't judge mine.

I grabbed my thin wool jacket off the wooden hook. It wouldn't provide much protection against the bitter cold, but it was better than nothing. Soaking in the last bit of warmth I could, I opened the thick oak door and took a step out.

Why did I agree to this? I asked myself as I walked through the crystal towers I used to call trees. The shed full of firewood wasn't that far, but it was far enough that I could understand why someone could die out here.

I could see the shed ahead, so I bit back a moan and ran ahead. I heaved open the door to the shed and looked inside.

The shed was full of dry wood and a barrel used to carry it. I took the barrel out and started filling it with wood. As I did, I heard a sound that sounded like talking. It was muffled and sounded like a person talking with their hand over their mouth. "Hello?" I called into the misty air. I saw a flash of light and felt a sudden warmth. What was this?

"Are you Rose Torillio?" A voice above me asked. The voice came from a man above me. He was using dust shoes, shoes that allowed you to fly. Only the rich people in the upper city could afford such technology. Even the people there couldn't always afford them.

"Who's asking?" I defiantly looked up. If I had learnt anything throughout my time at home it was that most people had ulterior motives.

He raised his head higher. "My name is TR-344, I have gotten orders to escort Miss Rose Torillio to the Upper City."

"May I ask the reason?" I lifted my brows in question.

"Of course. The First Family is recruiting a new generation of Sarotia's. You have been selected as one of the 12." My body felt as if it had been dropped 200 feet. I was chosen to be on of the Sarotia's? The 12 warriors destined to protect the City? I should be happy, but all I could think about was my parents face when they find out that I've left them. Of course he could just be lying. Maybe he was one of the Grato's, monsters that could shapeshift and trick people into trusting them.

"If that's really true, you would know everything about me." I said. The Upper City kept track of every single person, the more important you were the more they had on you. Since the Sarotia's were kind of the most important people in the City, they would know everything down to the number of hairs on my head.

TR-344 sighed angrily then began to recite. "Rose Torillio adoptive daughter of Sara Torillio and Geust Torillio. You've had a harder time growing up then other's, and you like to eat Sohn. You also li-". I motioned him to stop.

"Ok, then I get it. What if I don't come?"

"Then you're essence will be drained." He answered simply. I gritted my teeth. It was said that the First Family had the ability to kill people by draining their life source. It was easy and left no mess.

I started walking. I didn't believe in the groundless rumors. Nobody had the power to kill someone right? Wouldn't that make you god?

I glanced down and screamed, a highpitch clear sound.

I wasn't making any footprints!

I blinked back tears. I was crazy! I had to be!

"This is what happens when you disobey the First Family." T-344 said coldly. "I have started to drain your essence, but if you agree to come with me I can reverse it."

I weighed each option. My heart was beating in my ears, and I couldn't hear a single sound.

"In a few seconds it will become hard to reverse." T-344 said again.

"Fine, fine, I give!" I shouted. I didn't want to die! I couldn't die! Not here, not yet!

"Good choice." T-344 said before touching the side of his arm. My feet slowly appeared again and I sighed in relief. "If you would follow me, there is a flar waiting to take you to your destination." I couldn't even think properly. Was this real? There was no way!

Well. I guess my Mom would have to get the firewood herself.

Well. Sucks to suck.

January 09, 2020 20:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.