2 comments

Romance

It had been twenty-four years since she’d last seen it, but the place looked exactly the same. There wasn’t a need or desire to return to her hometown, but Jessica’s curiosity to see what a town looked like when it was dying. She wondered if this was a town worth saving. 

As her limousine drove down Main Street, the dark tinted windows allowed her to reacquaint the area without being recognized. Jessica watched her transition team jotted down notes while exchanging information. 

The account looked up from her notes and asked, “Empyrean is your hometown, Ms. White? It looks like a nice place.”

“In some aspects, it was. But I wouldn’t classify this visit as a homecoming. I want to buy and then destroy Empyrean.”

Jessica looked in each of their faces, then gazed out the window again.  

 “This is a cautionary tale. So, take heed,” she said, “The Reverend Aethelred Smith migrated from England in the early 1800s, settled this area, and called it Empyrean. It means the abode of God or paradise. Somehow, he gained acres of land from the indigenous people. A blacksmith and metal worker by trade, Aethelred opened a shop specializing in horseshoeing and foundry work. His reputation for excellent and reliable work spread throughout the region. He became so successful, he opened a factory and from there made his fortune. The Smith’s expanded its business into banking and retail.  Their power spread well beyond the borders of Empyrean.  They became one of the most influential families in the United States.”

“On the way, the Smith family ruined my family and forced me to leave town. But look at them today. They’re on the verge of bankruptcy. Now, it’s my decision whether to save Empyrean.”

Jessica smirked.

The lawyer asked, “How did they ruin your family, and why did you have to leave?”

        Jessica sighed before replying. 

        “It’s a simple love story. A lowly farm girl meets a rich boy at his frat party. Initially, we disliked each other. Funny, I never noticed Bradley Smith on campus before, but after the party, we kept bumping into each other. One day in the library, we had a friendly conversation. Our friendship turned into a secret romance.” 

“The Smiths discovered our relationship, and as we feared, they vehemently disapproved. The family was furious. Brad’s parents forbade him to see me. We ignored them. The Smiths felt it was my fault.”

“Gradually, my family experienced setbacks.  My father lost his job at Smith’s Mill. Unable to support his family hurt his pride. He started drinking a little more, and my parents argued a little more.”

“Two weeks later, the Smiths’ businesses denied my dad credit in town. The Smiths’ bank foreclosed on our farm within six months. When asked about the credit denial and foreclosure, the Smiths had no comment. My dad died that winter. The doctors listed the cause of death as pneumonia.”

“Ruining my family wasn’t enough for the Smiths. They circulated rumors that scandalized Brad and my affair to destroy my reputation. The worst part is Brad said nothing. I felt heartbroken and alone. In fact, he all but denied our romance.”

  Jessica’s voice cracked.  There was silence in the limousine.  

 Composing herself, Jessica continued. “Two days before I left town, I overheard two women in the bakery whispering.”

‘Did you hear? Some hussy tried to take advantage of poor Brad Smith.’

‘Yes, Marge. I heard about it when I attended church on Sunday. Thank God they found out her scheme in time.’ 

  I stifled my tears as I slunk away, ashamed.

Her personal assistant patted Jessica’s hand. “I’m sorry, Boss.”

The rest of the team remained reflectively silent.

Jessica called to her, chauffeur, “Herbert! Stop here!”

“Yes, Ms. White.”

“Everyone, this is Billy’s, Burger Barn. Home of the humongous Billy Burger. Billy advertised it as a meal on a bun. Let’s go in. Lunch is on me.”

Jessica and her entourage sat in her favorite booth.

As they read the menu, Jessica reminisced.

“Every Saturday night after the football game, my friends and I would come to Billy’s, sit in this booth, and order the Billy burger with a soda or shake with french fries. Oh, those were the days.”

A young lady walked over to take their order. 

“Hello, my name is Arielle. I’ll be your server. May I take your order?”

After Arielle wrote their order, Jessica asked as she looked around.

“Where’s Bill?  In the kitchen?” 

“Bill? No, Bill works here.”

“Bill, the owner.”

“The owner’s name isn’t, Bill. It’s Matilda. I’ll get here.”

Matilda walks to the table.

“May I help you?”

Matilda looks at everyone around the table and stops at Jessica.

“Jessie? Jessica White?”

 Jessica turned. It was her best friend, Matilda Carter.

“Tillie. You own the Burger Barn now?”

Jessica stood up. They hugged. 

“Yeah, I brought the place ten years ago. I had to keep the Saturday night tradition alive.” 

“Where’s Bill?”

“Come sit over at this table.” Tears filled Tillie’s eyes. “Bill retired to his farm after I bought his place. He died two years ago.”

“Oh, I’m sorry to hear that. I wish I could have seen him.”

Jessica shook her head and then asked. “How’re your folks, Tillie?”

“My mom and dad are still married. My brother, Kevin’s an English professor up in Syracuse. He’s married and has two kids.” 

“Wow. Puddin head is a married professor with children. I can’t imagine.”

“Jessie, I’ve followed your career. You made a fortune investing in real estate. Are you the mysterious benefactor we’re counting on to invest in this town?”

“Yes, guilty as charged.”

“Well, let me thank you. We are facing a fiscal crisis. A business closes every week. Did you see all the boarded storefronts?”

“Yes, they are hard to miss. I’ll do what I can, Tillie.”

Jessica and Tillie smiled at each other. 

Tillie asked, “Why don’t you ask me about Brad Smith?”

“That chapter in my life is over, Tillie. I’ve moved on.”

“Have you? Are you married or in a serious relationship?”

“No. Not at the moment. But there have been marriage proposals and male friends. I’ve been too busy for a relationship. I will when the time is right.”

“I know you. Jessie. If you’re not asking about Brad, it means you already know something about him. Why don’t you see him? I’m sure he’ll be glad to see you.”

“No. Absolutely not. Besides, I’m only in town for a day. After I attend a one o’clock meeting at the bank, I’m leaving.”

“I think you’re afraid to see him. You know love is stronger than pride.”

Tillie smiled. “At the bank, huh? Well, good luck.”

Jessica and her advisors filed into the bank, ready for their meeting. 

The receptionist greeted them. 

“Good afternoon, Ms. White. Our president, Mr. Smith, is waiting in the main conference room. Can you please follow me?”

Jessica got a chill knowing she was meeting Mr. Smith. She didn’t know how she would react. Her skin flushed. Jessica wanted him to feel uncomfortable. She took a perverted pleasure in knowing he will have to concede a lot of his power. The receptionist opened the door.

“Ms. White, Mr. Smith.”

Jessica entered the room, extended her hand, and stopped.

“Hello, Ms. White.”

Jessica looked into the face of Brad Smith, not his father. 

“I thought your father was the president of this bank?”

“He retired five years ago. I’m the president now.”

Jessica tried to avoid contact, but when they shook hands, a chill shot up her spine. She struggled to maintain her composure. 

“Ms. White, can we meet in my office moment before the meeting?”

As they walked to his office, Tillie's words echoed in her mind.

“Love is stronger than pride,”

Brad closed his office door. 

Jessica turned. “Yes, Brad?”

Brad looked into Jessica’s eyes and reached for her.

“Wait. What are you doing?” 

But Jessica didn’t resist his kiss.

Brad was in her arms again, and that’s all that mattered.

November 21, 2020 04:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Gerard Watson
19:01 Nov 29, 2020

Thank you, Ms. Deane, for taking the time to read as well as critique my story. I appreciate your honest comments. It's tough learning this craft. I should have flushed out the ending more. Because there was more to their re-connection. Bulldozing the town, huh? Not bad. Worth consideration. Keep writing, my friend. For the night is rapidly approaching.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Marda Deane
16:52 Nov 29, 2020

Hi this ended so abruptly. I hope she bulldozed the town! Nice work!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.