0 comments

General

It is week one, January 2nd 2022, I have finally found my true self, they said I wouldn't be go through with, but I proved them wrong. This morning when I woke to crows misbehaving in trees, I turned on the coffee maker, the radio was on but I wasn't quite listening to it.

The coffee had finished purring, as I lounged in my chair waiting for the post. I closed my eyes thinking back to the conversation I had with Mr Beardsley, the company organiser, his words were etching in mind,

'Are you sure you want to go ahead with this, it is a rather big project to go through, it would mean a long time away from those you care about.'


As I sat there wondering why he chose me in the first place and the corner of his mouth he is displaying doubts. I could only muster a few words to reassure him,

'Mr Beardsley, this is the one thing I have been waiting to do.'


At that point, he looked at me and smiled and it was as if he was saying under his breath,


' I know I could rely on you.'


So, this was the first week, in isolation on a hillside, surrounded by trees and fossils near the sea edge. The house only had two rooms, one for the bathroom and another for the kitchen-diner. It was comfortable, clean and very quiet. He was right, this job was not for everyone.

I glanced at my watch, waiting for some movement at the door, the time was getting on for 10:00 am. Mr Beardsley said they should arrive with the package by 10:00 am, for I was unable to begin the task before the package arrived, for this whole project would become useless.

I sipped my coffee, it was already very warm, the sun was shining and looking through netted curtains, there was no one to be seen. I wondered if they have lost their way or had completely forgot the task, or worst of all, was this just a practical joke. All sorts of negative stuff was going through my mind, and decided, the company would not play a joke like this, it could ruin their reputation. As for the person not arriving on time, this was a company checks their employees before they are given any work.

I finished the rest of my coffee, and place some bagels into the toaster, spread some butter and sat by the table eating while looking the documents that Mr Beardsley gave me, I had to get to know the information, before the package arrived.

I decided to get dressed, and make preparations, it was already 10:30 am, the area still quiet, only the sound of the brush through my long golden hair, and the brush teeth, followed by the toilet being flushed. I sat in the armchair gazing at the door with the documents in my lap. I reached for my Laptop only to check my emails, but there was nothing new.

Mr Beardsley did not mention anything about if this package was late, and there was no way for me to contact him. I read the last of the documents and registered each word in to my photographic brain, finished the last of the bagels and decided to lay on the couch staring at the ceiling. I must have fell asleep, because when I awoke it was way past 13:35 pm.

I immediately jumped up and headed for the door hope to see the package on the floor but there was nothing, not even a card to say,

'We tried to ring,'

As I walked to towards the large window of the room, I saw something or someone sitting on the outside chair. Its' back was towards me, and tapped on the window so hard almost breaking the window. The person did not move.

I sat back to sit down, while looking at the person. It was still and beginning to feel spooky. I was beginning to feel apprehensive about this whole project. What was it outside, and how long had it been there?

All thoughts wandered in my head, I glanced at the clock on the table again, 11:30 am, and glanced back at the image outside. The person had gone.


My started playing tricks, and decided to go through the documents that was given to me by Mr Beardsley. It didn't mention any time when my package would arrive. This was supposed to be the time for me to travelling, and I knew I should have bee on my way by the morning. It is now the afternoon, I decided to check the document a third time for a date, and there was no date, but, Mr Beardsley assured me that the transaction would have been today:

02:01:2022 10:00 am.


The document was in clear English and I must have read it a thousand time, and I could not see any time or date on them. As for the image sitting on the bench, it has baffled me, I kept thinking maybe it knocked on the door while I fell asleep.

I kept looking out of the window in case the image came back but it never did, the clock pointed to 14:00 pm, there was no sign of anyone, so decided to lay back on the couch and with that I fell asleep, again.


I woke up that same afternoon, the time said 17:00 pm, where had the time gone, and why was I always sleeping, I thought I must have been locked in a strange dream, this whole fiasco is all a figment of my imagination. I was thinking is this Mr Beardsley a real person, who assured me the package would be here. But, where is here and why have I travelled to far to be, here.

I decided that I must take a shower for when I awoke I was covered in sweat. Each piece I removed slowly, and as I entered the bathroom, turned the shower on and felt the stream of warm water hit my face, then my body and stood for at least an hour until my body was shrivelled.


03 January 2022 09:00 am

I am sat at the kitchen table drinking coffee and bagels, the document is laying on the table, as I glanced out of the window, it is a sunny morning, the crows are making a joyful noise in the trees nearby, while I still await the package.

He never turned up yesterday, what could have been the hold up, perhaps he'll turn up today, who knows. While I sit, drinking this cool coffee and eating bagels.



April 06, 2020 18:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.