How to Kick Start a Riooan Jump Ship

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write a story where the power goes out on a spaceship or submarine.... view prompt

0 comments

Science Fiction

Katia's fur stood on end as she felt the emp run through the ship. The craft's engines and power all blipped off in the dark of space. They were sitting there adrift when all of a sudden, She popped up and said," Smokey! Do you have those vision flower clips?" He looked at her and nodded," Are you thinking the same thing I am thinking?"

Zander, the cybernetically altered gorilla gripped the helm stand with his feet and said aloud with a thick British accent." I do believe that if you clip the wires just to the right of the battery pack it will jump start the backup power cells. If we don't , then start conserving your air because we only have about eight hours of air left in here without the air scrubbers and filtration system,"

Riooans are known well for their ability to completely fade to translucency and praised for their renowned prowess in the tech world. Smokey was a human engineer's mate with a penchant for smoking vision flower and getting them out of some pretty hairy situations.

The tall black man with braids in his hair moved from his place and began pulling motherboards and electronic cards from the opened section of the coms panel. Smokey muttered to himself," Ahhh there you are you little buggar!" He said as he clipped on the little alligator clip to one side and quickly shifted to the other side. Looking up at the gorilla Helmsman, he said," Hit it Zander!" Zander queued in a number sequence and the lights blipped on momentarily and shut back off. He looked down at the young man muttering to himself and moving his finger up and down as he looked at each panel. He tapped his flash light when it started to flicker and slowly fade to black.

He fiddled with the card one more time and adjusted the clips again and the auxiliary power cam on long enough for him to run to the back of the ship and begin pressing panels and buttons. He ran through a diagnostic sequence and said," Um, um Katia, we are going to have to limp it back to Rioo. The emp blew the main engine bank but we still have impulse engines." Katia flicked her tail slightly and chuffed lightly and spoke softly. " Well do what you have to do. Let's get these lights back on and the air flowing, My fur is not cool you know." She said as she grasped her tail and gently rubbed the tip of it to ease her anxiety. She was just nervous because Rik had sent her on a mission to find out if the nearby star cluster had a viable planet on it or if the planetoids could be harvested for resources. She had gathered quite a bit of data for him as he was trying to gather the other captains' in his fleet command. They were planning a big coup to take over the Admiral's war ship, Goliath.

Adrik's father, was the Admiral in question and was human a very dark one. Kati shivered as goosebumps ran down her spine out the tip of her tail as she remembered the first time she met him. Looking up she said ," Smokey, how much longer until we have power?" Zander looked up and said," Mam, the system is rebooting as we speak you had a good idea there. The jump ship will be back in operation very soon." He said quite softly. Smokey turned to Zander and asked, " Man where did you get the British accent from?" Zanger chuckled and made some happy gorilla sounds and gestured outward. " Well, that is a good question, I think it is because I was captured from South Africa and the poachers who captured me were British. They sold me to the lab. It was the best thing really. I can be a gentleman if I wish or hang upside down in the trees and dangle if I choose Either way I am a very happy gorilla."

Katia spoke softly in the dark with the auxiliary lights illuminating the colors of her fur in the strained soft light that emanated from the ceiling. The pale greens and dark greens really stood in stark contrast to the deep forest green tresses that fell to her backside. The young woman had pulled her hair back from her face and wound into a tight bun. it seemed quite tight and she leaned her head down and pulled out the pins that poked her head mercilessly and sighed loudly, Smokey laughed slightly and said,"

I bet that feels good to let down. how you get all that hair up in that tiny little bun anyway? Don't make no sense how something so long can be wound so tiny.. Ahh just a moment. I think I have it ya'll. Let me just hold my tongue to the left and pop my hip to the side and hold this wire like so while I wind this foil around the bare part here. Look, whoever put this damn ship together wasn't expecting a emp. Leave it to a brotha to figure this out."

The gorilla laughed and said," That's what you think! They want my gorilla smarts Smokey, I can drive them where they need to go. But ya you seem to know your way around and engine." I bet you had cars on Earth." Smokey sighed loudly and replied," Zander the problem is most people don't realize that the combustion engine and the Jet engine have nothing in common and then these here big hipped jump ships have another whole ball of wax going on." Then he chuckled and said while nodding his head," Yeah I have a 1969 Chevelle Super Sport modified to a whole nuther set of standards ya'll."

Katia smiled and laughed as she listened to the banter that surrounded her. She grew a bit hungry and tried to see it the food generator would work and miraculously it did so she jumpped up and down for a second and looked at Smokey feverishly working on the impulse engines. She made a mental note that she would have to have the engineers make sure there was some form of emp protection. She was sure it was there maybe they had to recalibrate it for this solar system. The Moltair Solar System sat within a large nebula and Rioo was a moon to a tidal locked gas giant. It had huge trees taller than anyone on Earth has seen. The branches grew two miles up into the sky. houses were built into and around the trees in platforms and tiers. The Black Claw trained the warriors to survive on the ground with the rocknar beasts and the razor worms.

The plants even tried to kill them on the forest floor. The next tier up were farmers up above the ground they grew in pots and garden beds meticulously built to grow the food that each clan needed. the next level was at sixty foot up and rose to about 100 feet into the trees. This was the feather foot clan and the great High Prietess of Rioo was housed in the most central tree. The tree was a rather large tree its trunk was close to ten acres across and it rose a mile and a half into the atmosphere.

Suddenly, The power came on and everyone moved to their places and Zander gripped the helm podium with his feet and touched the impulse engine button. The ship took off towards Rioo. Smokey looked at his panels and buttons in front of him and said," You know, we have enough energy to jump right to Rioo and be there in like six seconds?" Zander needed no prompting he hit the jump drive and they hurled through space right into the moon's orbit.

September 08, 2020 11:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.