0 comments

Contemporary Drama Suspense

White colour lightly appeared on her skin as Eve brushed face paint on her cheeks. It was a ritual she had perfected over the years working as a make-up artist.


Every stroke of the brush reminded her of all the times she was called careless, volatile, amusing and fake. And what better way to commemorate those remarks than to turn into a clown every Halloween.


Naturally, the traditional white base, expressive eyebrows and dotted nose were there but she wanted to stand out even when she was blending in. The perfect mixture of neon eyeshadow, pink-purple lipstick, and cute glitter dot on the nose was the last face she wanted her victims to see before they closed their eyes forever.


Her heart overflowed with such glee every time she saw jubilant eyes turn to flared panic. When a celebration turned into a last breath. No one ever expected the harmless doll to come to life and tonight was going to be no different.


Arranging her hair in two high ponytails, Eve blew a kiss to her reflection before she picked up her bundle of rainbow-coloured cloths – her special magic trick – and closed the door behind her.


*****


“Did you get extra officers tonight?” Detective Armstrong leaned over his partner’s desk.


“I did, but they were not too happy about it.” Detective Barrett took a sip from his coffee.


“Did you tell them they will get overtime?”


“I did, but it is Halloween, Armstrong, and they want to trick-or-treat with their kids or go out and party.”


“Yeah, and while they are out partying innocent people are hunted down and killed.”


“I didn’t say I don’t agree with you. I’m just saying they aren’t happy about it.”


“We’ll get them a box of donuts or something. I just need to catch the Hallow Eve’s Killer. Gosh, I can’t believe I’m even calling him that.” Armstrong flung his one hand in the air while his other rested on his hip. “Killers don’t deserve to be called anything except for what they are – murderers.”


“Do you have any more leads?” Barrett tipped back into his chair.


“I’ve had a few calls since we broadcasted the warning to look out for clowns, but it’s really hard when every second person wants to be a clown for Halloween.”


“And the only thing we have going for us is the letter you received a week ago with a time and place.”


“Yes, but I have this feeling in my bones we’re going to get him tonight. He is getting way too cocky. First only sending pics the day after Halloween of the victim just before they died and now a time and place. I’ve already sent a few officers to check out the area and we’ll leave soon to join them.”


“Armstrong, I know you want to catch this guy, but just make sure it’s not another trick. If they’ve been able to get away with a murder every Halloween for seven years now, and that’s only the years we know about, they know what they’re doing and this could all be a ruse.”


“I know what I’m doing.”


“All right. You know I’ll always have your back. I’m just saying.”


“I know and I appreciate that. I just don’t want another mother, wife, sister or daughter at my desk looking for answers I don’t have.” He ran his hands through his brown hair.


“I get it.” Barrett’s focus moved past Armstrong, “Aren’t you a doll?” He stood up from his chair and moved next to Armstrong which made Armstrong turn around to see his wife with a box of donuts in hand.


“Hello, honey.” He stepped towards her and gave her a peck on the cheek.


“Thought you boys might need some energy for the night.” She jiggled the box from left to right.


“We definitely do and I’ll definitely not be eating all of them by myself.” Barrett took the box from her outstretched hand and disappeared into the kitchen.


“Thank you for the donuts. Where are the kids?” Armstrong gestured his wife over to his desk.


“Out trick-or-treating with their friends.” She sat down on the chair opposite his.


“Honey, I asked you not to let the kids go out on their own, especially not tonight.”


“Babe, they are fine. Jackson and Jennifer’s parents are out with them and they promised they’d be back before ten.”


“Ten! That’s too late. I need them home by eight.” Both his hands were on his hips now.


“Why eight?”


“I just need them back inside with the doors locked by eight.”


“Babe, it’s Halloween. If you’re going to spoil their fun by telling them they should leave their friends when the party really begins, they’ll only sneak out.”


“Party? What party? They are not allowed -”


“Whoa, I didn’t say they were going to a party. It was an example. They are trick-or-treating with Jackson and Jennifer and then they’ll come right home. Why are you so agitated?” She stood up and ran her hands up and down his biceps for comfort.


“You know I can’t talk to you about a case.”


“So this is about a case?”


“Yes.” He sighed, head slightly hung as he gave in to her touch.


“Babe, I promise nothing will happen to the kids -”


“You can’t know that.”


“I know their dad is very good at what he does and whatever this case is you’re working on you will solve it.”


“Gosh, I really hope so, honey because I can’t have one more Halloween death on my hands.” He places his hands on her hips, something he always found solace in.


“Tonight might just surprise you. I gotta go, just wanted to drop off the donuts.” She pressed her lips against his. “I’ll see you later tonight?”


“I don’t know how long I’ll be out but don’t wait up for me.”


“All right. Be safe out there.” She turned around to walk away but pivoted back again. “Oh, I forgot this was delivered to you.” She rummaged through her handbag, pulled out a red envelope and handed it to him.


“When?” He took the paper from her.


“I don’t know. Someone handed it to me on my way here and told me to give it to you.”


His head shot up and he scanned the office space but couldn’t see anyone or anything suspicious. The envelope didn’t feel heavy or bumpy like there could be a trigger in it. He picked up a pair of scissors on his desk and tore open the sleeve. He looked inside and pulled out a piece of paper.


“Why? What does it say?” She leaned closer to get a better look.


Armstrong’s eyes grew bigger and he looked around the precinct again.


“Babe -”


“Eve, not now. I need to find Barrett. Get the kids and get home.” The piece of paper crumbled in his hand as he strode to the kitchen.


“Barrett, we need to go.”


“What happened?”


“I got an envelope delivered to me and inside was a piece of paper with a name.”


“You don’t mean -”


“It’s the name of our next victim.”

October 29, 2021 23:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.