12 comments

Horror Suspense

“We’ll come pick him up in three or four hours.” Mrs. Harrington explained as she made her way towards the front door.

“You’ve got everything, right?” She asked, and I nodded in agreement, as she was probably worried about her kid, Roland, who was always prone to getting hurt in the weirdest ways.

“Just feed him this bag of buttered noodles. And no forks. He’s always puncturing his throat with them.” She explained, and I was surprised at how prone he actually was to getting hurt.

“Ok,ok. I'll try to not get him hurt. Now you two go along on your dinner. You really need a break from this kid, probably.” I muttered under my breath so that Roland wouldn’t hear, cause he would probably somehow physically hurt him in some way.

“Yeah, we really do need a break. Are you sure you’re ready?” Jim, the dad, chimed in from where silence used to be.

“Yes. I’ll take it from here. Don’t worry about him. Hell be fine.” I explained, and they started out the door, and soon I was left alone with this kid.

“Ok. Here's the rules. You go upstairs in your room and do whatever you want. I’ll be down here, but don’t you dare bother me.” I ordered, and he ran upstairs to probably go to bed. I mean, it was eight forty five and he had school tomorrow, and with him sleeping I don’t have to worry about him getting hurt.

I hopped onto the soft, grey couch and took out my phone from where it was peacefully sleeping in my pocket.

I clicked the home button, then looked at the top right corner of my phone, and almost passed out. The phone was at 2% and I could barely breathe. I ran all over the house looking for a charger and at last, I found one in the junk drawer.

You see, people think working is stressful, but looking in the corner of your phone and seeing that you have less than ten percent, now that's real stress.

Once I found my  phone, I got straight on tiktok and started to scroll through all the videos, and I must have matched three or four before I finally found a good sound to use.

You see, scrolling through tiktok videos was my life and I couldn’t go without it. I never go one day without watching at least one minute of tiktok videos.

I watched a lot of Charli D'amelio and Khaby lame, I got bored and started to find sounds so I could make a tik tok, and I chose “spooky scary skeleton.”

The song goes like this: Bew dew dew dew dew dew dew dew do spooky scary skeletons send shivers down your spine. Spooky scary skeleton we’ve sealed your doom tonight. Then the song ends.

After making endless tik toks, my friend called me and told me that she had a question for me which I didn’t understand why she needed me.

“Who is that person behind you in all those tik tok videos that you’ve been making? Is it the kid you’re babysitting?” She asked, and I was really confused. I mean, nobody was in the house but me and Roland, right?

“No. It's not the kid. He is upstairs sleeping. It can’t be anyone else other than Roland, right?” I asked, and she shook her head no. At this point I was so scared that something, someone, could get me. I went all over the house, locked all the doors, then went to Roland’s mom and dad's room and waited for me to calm down.

“Who is that guy behind you?” Kaylee asked me, and I turned around to the window and saw a face, with no face. Just blood where his face was. And I freaked out, so much, I just wanted to kill myself because if I have to live with this, there is no reason to live.

“No no no. This can’t be happening!” I thought, and right then and there, the power went out. I was stuck in the pitch black, and the people I was babysitting for didn’t have a generator to get us power.

Now I was stuck inside of a dark, creepy house with a person that could potentially kill me in seconds.

“Ok, ok. Breathe.” I tell myself under my breath, and Now I’m more scared than I had ever been in my life, because I was scared of nothing, and I finally found what I was actually afraid of. People who have no faces, and I bet everybody would be scared of a person with no face. I mean, I am.

“Come out, come out wherever you are! I haven't had dinner in days.” Said a voice cutting through the silence that was hanging in the air, and actually it was kind of nice to hear a voice in all this silence, yet I had no clue who or what the voice was.

“Who goes there!?” I yelled at the top of my lungs, then came Roland, toppling down the steps and he laid at the bottom, like he was waiting for me to come to him, and he was lifeless.

I walked over to him, and he was laying on his belly, so I rolled him over, and he had no face like the guys I saw through the window. Maybe he was eaten by the guy and he was turned into one of those things that I had seen in the window just a bit earlier.

I was hoping that he wouldn’ get up and come eat me, but he did get up, but didn’t eat me. Yet.

“Please don’t hurt me! Whatever you are! I’m too young to die!” I exclaimed, running outside my Land Rover Range Rover Evoque 2.0 TD4 E-Capability 4x4 HSE Dynamic, which had a smooth feel when it was driving. And then I thought back to the spooky scary skeleton song, right then and there, a bleeding hand came up on the window with a smack, then dragged down leaving a blood stain.

October 12, 2021 22:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

Dhwani Jain
12:23 Jul 10, 2022

How are you?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philip Ebuluofor
07:26 Jun 11, 2022

Fine work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
18:23 May 26, 2022

Hey! Where are you? Why has Reedsy been so boring lately? (copy-pasting this to a lot of people as I'm BoReD)

Reply

Graham Kinross
09:43 Jul 07, 2022

It has been quiet hasn’t it?

Reply

Graham Kinross
09:46 Jul 07, 2022

Maybe it’s that everyone can do things now that lots of places are coming out of lockdown.

Reply

Dhwani Jain
10:34 Jul 07, 2022

Maybe

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
10:34 Jul 07, 2022

Very quiet, actually

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
15:47 Apr 13, 2022

You know Sapphire? We have a collab coming up on my blog at 04:06 p.m. IST tomorrow (April 14). Do check it out, here's the link (https://djdhwanijain.wordpress.com/)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
06:20 Dec 14, 2021

Hey Breckin! If you want to be a part of a ReedsyCast, do check out this link https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeBqg6U0CMdWisaYGuj1nal_d-E_oNT6oYCA4-ILxBr5n1PEg/viewform

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
12:42 Nov 15, 2021

Hello all! https://wp.me/pd3y1A-fD Please check out my latest post, THE VIRUS, YOU AND ME, a podcast. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did writing it! Dhwani Jain Dream DJ {https://djdhwanijain.wordpress.com/}

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
03:16 Nov 15, 2021

https://awards.storymirror.com/program/a34cda60-d779-4a08-97c3-061fa2b8f801/english/author/13djd0wt/story Please click on this link and CLAP for me so that I can win the AUTHOR OF THE WEEK AWARD!!!!!!!!!! Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.