11 comments

General

 “Can you keep a secret?”Jessica asked me.  Of course I can.  I can’t talk.  Even when I do sign language no one understands me.  Only my four best friends and one teacher. I nod yes.  Then I told her ‘yes, always’ in sign language.  Just then my other besties found us in the tree house, their names are: Summer, Hailey, and Harper.  Hailey and Harper are twins.  

“How long have you guys been here?  You're early for the meeting!” Summer says.

Now this wasn’t just another meeting it was the Five Best Friends Forever Meeting.  We have this meeting every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  We mostly talk and sign about what we’ve been doing.  We roll a die and try to get the highest number, then if anyone ties they do rock, paper, scissors to see who goes first.  Harper and Hailey go as one person because they do about everything together!  Today they are going first.  

“Me and Hailey went to an amusement park and we almost went upside down! It was crazy!” Harper started. 

“My favorite was Zero Gravity!  It was fun and I felt like throwing up!” Hailey said practically screaming.  Jessica said that she would pass.  Pass has never been an option but I guess it is now.  When I went I didn’t write much.  Only that I have been reading and drawing all day.  Summer was so excited to share and you could totally tell. 

“So my family is going over to the beach on Wednesday.  I can’t wait!” Summer breathed out the words.

“Wait, but you’ll miss some meetings!” Jessica said furiously.

It’ll only be a few days.  Calm down, Jessica!” Summer sounded surprised like Jessica wouldn’t have said that.

‘Hey do you guys want to sleep in the tree house tonight? It would be so much fun to spend a night with you guys!  We could even play truth or dare and spill the tea!’ I wrote on a little note paper.  First they passed the paper around, they all looked at each other as if they were reading each other’s minds then they nodded yes.  

I am so excited for the sleepover at the tree house tonight! It’s only four pm so we still have two or three hours.  My mom said that it was okay but that I have to be home by ten am sharp.  I think everyone can come but who’s there is there.  For dinner we’re all eating at our own houses.  My mom is making shrimp and noodles!  It’s my favorite dish that she makes.  While we’re eating dinner dad gets a call.  He answered on speaker.

“Hello, Dad.  What's wrong?” He says slowly

On the other end I hear my pops talking. “Son you need to come over to me and your mother’s house now.  Something’s wrong with your mother.”

Dad’s a doctor so that's probably why pops called dad. Dad rushed out the door.  No time to say good-bye to us.  Then after I did all my chores I went to the tree house.  Jessica was early.  She lives closest to the tree house so that explains why.

“Do you still want to know the secret?” Jessica asked.  I nodded ‘yes, yes,yes!’

“I want to tell you but I don’t want to alarm you.” I want to know I wrote. “Okay fine, I’ll tell you.  Someone likes you from school but they told me to not tell you their name, only the first letter of their name.  His first letter of his name is C.  That’s all I can tell you.”

Somebody likes me? That’s odd. I don’t know any boys with a name that starts with a C.  As I was wondering who my secret admirer is, Summer and the twins showed up.  

“Hey girls what's up?”  Summer asked excitedly. “You guys are always so early!”

We all wanted to start off with a game.  Summer, Jessica and I want to play Truth or Dare.  Hailey and Harper finally agreed to play Truth or Dare with us.  The rules are all of the Dares have to be for tomorrow.  This time to decide who goes first by alphabetical order I get asked first and I get to choose who I want to ask me a question.  I chose Jessica.

“Truth or Dare?” She asks mysteriously. I wrote ‘DARE’ on my paper in capital letters.

“I dare you to figure out your crush and bring the girls with you.” she whispered in my ear so the other girls wouldn’t hear.  ‘Oh I will’ I wrote even though this was going to be a tough egg to crack.  Hailey chose Summer to ask her a question.  

“Truth or Dare?” Summer asked Hailey

“Truth.  Your Dares are crazy.” Hailey said

“Okay, okay.  Is it true that you haven’t ever kissed a boy? If so what was his name”

“No that is not true I’m 16.  His name was Sam and it was on my 16th birthday.” Hailey blushed.

“Are you guys dating?”Jessica asked.

“Maybe. I’m not letting you have a yes or no answer.” Hailey said.

Truth or Dare kind of turned into Spill the Tea. So we started playing Spill the Tea instead.

Harley chose me to ask her a question.  I did sign language because I ran out of  paper.  I asked her ‘What are your two biggest secrets?’ 

“Oh that's a hard one. Umm… give me a second.  Probably my secret boyfriend James and that Hailey is older by like 2 minutes.” Harper  was totally embarrassed.

It was probably good that she revealed her secret about Hailey.  I don’t know what to think about the other secret though. Jessica is jumping to go next.   So we decided to let her go.  Summer wanted to ask Jessica a question.

“How old were you when you had your first kiss?” Summer asked this is so juicy.  Jessica has had quite a few boyfriends.  She is very pretty and all the boys like her.

“Um… I think I was 12.  Remember when Peter ran up to me and kissed me on the cheek and gave me some roses.  Then he ran away blushing.  It was so funny and sweet.” Jessica kind of blushed.  “I don’t think I told you guys but we got back together this month.”

At the same time all of us girls said “AWWWW! That's so cute!” I just made a heart out of my hands.  Jessica was totally blushing out of embarrassment.  

“Are you guys tired?  I’m ready to go to bed.  Anyone else?” Jessica asked.  I raised my hand to say yes and everyone else did too.  

The today I have to do my dare.  Jessica told me that she texted him and told him to meet us at school.  Thank gosh Jessica has everyone in school’s phone number. We’ll meet this  boy at 1 o’clock.  I’m excited and scared. Jessica must have told the girls.

 I’m going to let the girls do my makeup and choose a cute outfit to wear.  Hailey and Harper are doing my makeup, Jessica is doing my hair and Summer is finding a cute outfit.  I’ll put my outfit on first.  Summer is very good at picking out clothes.  She got me some black jean shorts and a cute white ruffled crop top.  Hailey and Harper are doing makeup next.  They start with some bronze eyeshadow.  They said that I don't need any foundation? Don’t know what that is.  They gave me a cat eye.  It’s so cute! Then they add some blush to my cheeks and finally let me choose a lipstick color.  I chose The Real Thing by Cover Girl.  It’s red.  Jessica thought that I should do something simple but not too simple.  She did a french braid on each side and then brought them together in the back.  On a piece of paper I wrote ‘Thank you guys so much.’ and then I almost started crying.  Hailey and Harper started fanning my eyes so that they wouldn’t get messed up.  Now we’re ready to drive  down to the school.  

I am so freaking out my heart is beating out of my chest. I can see someone but can’t tell who it is.  As I take a few more steps I figure out who it is.  It’s Caleb.  We talked and wrote but I didn’t know he liked me.  We did work together on a project for science and did pretty good together.

“Hey, Addie.” Caleb said.

I waved.  I am totally blushing.  I walked closer.  As we got closer he reached out for my hand.  I could feel Jessica videoing behind me.  

“Addie I really like you.” Caleb said.  I just nodded.  Then it happened.  We kissed.  My first kiss.  EEEKKKK! 

“Addie will you be my girlfriend?” 

I pretended to think for a second.  Then nodded ‘yes, yes, one million times yes!’ 

“ See you around Addie!” Caleb said as he ran away.  I turned around and pretended to scream.  We did a group hug.  My friends knew I was lonely and Jessica is awesome.  She knows all the gossip.  This is the best summer ever!  Except for the part that my grandma died.  But I found love.  My grandma is my guardian angel now.   BEST SUMMER EVER!

August 21, 2020 18:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

Deborah Angevin
08:51 Aug 23, 2020

The characters in this story... I find them realistic and relatable! Great work, Lauren! P.S: would you mind checking my recent story out, "Yellow Light"? Thank you :D

Reply

Lauren :)
20:08 Aug 23, 2020

Thank you! I will check out your story very soon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
21:15 Sep 14, 2020

starting a new thread but tell me what you think: 17 year old harlow gets transported to a alternate Dimension/universe one night and has no idea how to get back, now she has to deal with trying to find her way home, remaining hidden to not get captured and not to mention a alternate version of herself thats going after her, with the help of a new friend there though, will she be able to go home?

Reply

Lauren :)
22:08 Sep 14, 2020

So does Harlow have any powere or anything? Sounds good though!

Reply

B. W.
22:25 Sep 14, 2020

no shes just a normal person, well kind of, but she doesn't have powers, she is something else though

Reply

Lauren :)
22:47 Sep 14, 2020

Ok

Reply

ℂ𝕁 𝕄.
03:33 Nov 08, 2020

Loved your story, just one question. Why can’t Addie talk? Just wondering if you don’t know that’s fine, if you want it to be some sort of mystery to hook the readers that’s fine too, again just wondering not asking you to change it and talk about more of her background

Reply

ℂ𝕁 𝕄.
03:36 Nov 08, 2020

Oh and one more thing, do you play Roblox might be a weird question to ask but I do! Most of my friends don’t so that’s what I’m wondering bc I son’t have many ppl to play with

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lauren :)
03:38 Nov 08, 2020

She was born unable to talk. I don't really know why

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
07:21 Sep 13, 2020

I decided to check out another one of your stories and this still gets a 10/10 from me ^^ i don't think anything was ever really wrong with it. also do you think you could maybe help with something?

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.