The sign of a dream

Submitted into Contest #103 in response to: Write about a character looking for a sign.... view prompt

0 comments

Crime Drama Mystery

She was born under a complicated zodiac sign and left to wander aimlessly around the world. She has to resist because life first gave her an exam and then she learned it.

It is a gray March and the earth is kissed by cold rain.

The woman raised her eyes, frowned by the insomnia and turmoil of the last days.

She was visibly tired. However, she was glad they hadn't sedated her that night. She sighed softly, afraid it would hurt.

With a slow rotation of her head, she turned her gaze to the window.

Heavy raindrops slid down the window clogged with dirt. The wind was blowing hard, as if wanting to make room in the room, in the heat.

After a few minutes, the woman managed to sit on the edge of the bed. She began to sway her legs to feel the air caress her bare thighs.

She looked around, but the walls of the room were bare.

She shakes when she feels her legs are cold. She took a deep breath.

The rain had intensified. It was a storm.

The trees bent their branches, and the wind tore off their green leaves. Lightning flashed across the sky, their light invading the room. That's how she managed to see her shadow. She looked ugly, ruffled.

Her eyes were starting to sting. She closed them softly and listened to the sound of the drops hitting the sheet on the window sill. The silence in the room harmonized perfectly with the sound of rain.

She glanced over her shoulder to make sure no one came in for the next few minutes.

She stood up, mesmerized by the movements of the raindrops sliding slowly down the window.

When she reached the window, she began to walk with her index finger with a drop, down the window. She thought she was much braver than she was. She didn't care that she would die as soon as she touched the windowsill, that she would break to pieces. She was in no hurry, sliding slightly.

She straightened her voice and spoke in a whisper, just for her.

- If I healed your wounds, it was for the purpose to destroy us later. You may not know, but I dreamed of you last night. I promised you that every time it rained, I would be by your side with my eyes closed and my heart open. Like when I last saw you.

She closed her eyes for a moment.

Screams of horror and despair.

Terror had settled on San Matias Street and adjacent streets. The target was the headquarters of the Granada Command. The red building was under siege by the Scorpio group. Civilians, agents, and terrorists fell in the exchanges of fire.

Two hours later, the explosive had been placed.

When Amanda hurried out on Capitania Street, she was surprised. She was expected by the person she has hoped for and prayed not to meet, Chief Madoc, the one she had to eliminate at all costs. Even at the cost of his life.

They stood face to face, guns aimed at each other.

The torrential rain started suddenly. Only lightning lit up their faces; hers - full of blood, his - tense. Good minutes passed and they remained in position.

"I hoped until the last moment that you weren't her. I still hope. It's not you. I was crazy to believe that. "

She smiled in the corner of her mouth and, trembling, with her left hand, tore off the mask and threw it at his feet.

- In vain. You can't be her. You are not like that. That repulsive, ruthless, and ...

The next explosion, after the previous two, knocked them to the ground. Mud-covered, their faces streaked with shards, they were breathing hard. He watched her writhing for the gun. Amanda had found the gun but did not dare to get up. He stood on his back, face-up, letting the rain wash his wounds. When her heartbeat returned to normal, she looked at him. Santiago crouched down, making no effort to retrieve his gun, which was a short distance from his hand.

Thunder amplified terror.

Santiago saw her get up, but she wanted to avoid the final moment.

Shoot! That's what she heard in her earphones.

Amanda screamed as loud as she could, blood dripping from her blast wounds. She could barely keep his balance and gripped the gun so hard that his hand began to bruise.

Santiago had recovered but had not risen. He was still insecure. Then he decided to stay on his knees and look at her intently.

He finally found the strength to speak to her.

- Now's your chance. Shoot! If you want to live, kill me! If that's the only way you can live, do it!

His gaze hurt and his voice cut her heart.

With a tremor of his hand, she raised his Glock pistol to his forehead.

- Do you remember what you asked me last time? You wanted me to look at you at least once ... Amanda's deep black eyes begged him to listen. What an irony! She said and laughed briefly. And I have wanted you to look back at me countless times. I didn't even count how many times I hoped. I wanted, with all my heart, to look back at me. I was hoping that one day you would say, "I know you're here with me." But that night, you asked me to tell you how much I love you. I lost the number of times I did it and you didn't want to hear or pretended not to hear. I didn't take into account the moments when I said them, in my mind, just for myself. I was always there, in your shadow, but I was not the first person to thank for everything I offered you, without asking for anything in return.

- Amanda, you never told me directly, looking me into the eyes. Chief Madoc reproached in a cold, harsh tone.

- Because you still don't listen to what I'm saying, Santiago! The hand in which she held the pistol made sudden, uncontrolled movements. You know nothing about me. You didn't want to know more. Right now, my name on your lips sounds foreign. That's how we've felt since we met.

- If you think I don't know anything about you and I haven't come to love you, then shoot. Shoot, come on!

Santiago takes off his jacket and then his bulletproof vest. With awkward movements, the man unbuttoned two buttons on his shirt.

Amanda's hand was shaking. The pistol moved accordingly.

- Shoot! Santiago shouted in a frightened tone.

At the same time, she heard Scorpio's hoarse voice in her headphones: Shoot!

She closed his eyes and screamed, hesitating.

Then the first shot was heard. A split second later, when she opened her eyes, she saw him. Santiago's hand was clenched on his chest, streams of purple blood gushing from his fingers.

Then Amanda saw black in front of her eyes. She had fallen in one fell swoop. Two black figures approached and felt their hands on her forearms, pulling her away from the inert body of the man she had come to love with all her heart.

- You have to live! Amanda whispered.

A thunder that shook the windows made her open her eyes. She was still in the hospital room by the window.

She sighed deeply.

- It's raining today, it's leaking out my window, but you're gone. Help me to love you in this cold and wet March, because summer is coming soon, and I will still be cold. But I know, no matter how crazy they say I am, that you're here in front of me. Everyone says you're gone, but I ..., I found you a long time ago. All the signs you gave me, made me believe that you are alive.

She lay down on the bed and closed her eyes, pretending to be asleep. The doctor's footsteps stopped at her door.

- Sleep soundly, said the nurse.

- She never sleeps. She is in an eternal search. She's been looking for a sign for five years.

- What to look for if she doesn't even know her name or what she did? the nurse crooked her nose, looking at the woman.

The doctor turned his back and continued his nocturn visits.

Looking for the slightest signs that she thinks I'm not him, that she wasn't who she was. Searching for me, for what she knowingly lost. But what she doesn't know is that I'm the one who will always be by her side. That I am the sign that her beautiful dream has turned into the worst nightmare.

- Doctor!

He heard the nurse's muffled voice. Turning his gaze, Amanda sat over the nurse, with a syringe stuck in her throat.

- I will find him, no matter what will cost! Even if I have to pledge my soul to hell.

July 17, 2021 11:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.