One Night At Sally's

Submitted into Contest #162 in response to: Start your story with someone looking at a restaurant menu.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Happy

Sally's, where the food is the best in town. Where the menus have the most beautiful designs. I'm looking at Sally's menu deciding what to order. The food is so good I don't know what I want.

The Bay looks beautiful from my usual table. I smile at the many memories I have at Sally's. I started going to Sally's when I was six with my grandparents. We shared so many happy moments over a good meal.

Sally's has been open since the 1940's and survived so much. There is a lot of history at Sally's. So many first dates, birthdays, marriage proposals and so much more. Many generations of people have fond memories of Sally's, me being one of them.

I look around Sally's and see the usual people. Mr. and Mrs. Freeman have been come to Sally's since forever. Today they are celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary. How sweet it is that two people can love each other so much and be together for this long.

Sally's brings everyone together. Across the way in the ballroom a family reunion is taking place. You can hear the screams of happiness and joy. Sally's has a special way of making you feel welcomed.

Here comes another couple who have spent countless of days enjoying the good food and the good music Sally offers. Mr. and Mrs. Garcia, I remember the first time I saw this amazing couple. It was family night with my grandparents. We were enjoying each other's company when the music started playing. My grandfather took my grandmother's hand and led her to the dance floor.

I turned my head around as the music played. My grandfather held my grandmother close, they swayed to the music as one. As I watched them dance, I saw other couples dancing but this one couple was as captivating as the music. The way they dance was so mesmerizing. The way the lady moved her hips to the music and the way the guy kept pace with her was so beautiful.

Later that night I found out their names Mr. and Mrs. Garcia. I've seen them at Sally's every year for the past ten years and each time I see them the love they have for each other blossoms. The song they danced too all those years ago is played at Sally's for Mr. and Mrs. Garcia every time they come to Sally's.

I don't come to Sally's just for the food. I come to Sally's for the memories and to be closer to my grandparents. It's very important for me to come to Sally's on my grandparents anniversary, not their wedding anniversary but the first time they came to Sally's. The first date they had was just after war was declared, two months after Sally's first opened. December 14th 1941 is the date.

Here I am same month and date 80 years since their first date. I can feel my grandparents presences all around me. I remember my grandmother telling me all about her first date with my grandfather.

She told me "Hannah, Sally's is a magical place to be. When you enter through the doors at Sally's with your special someone you feel warm, happy and loved." I saw the truth of my grandmother's words in her eyes and felt them in my heart. The way my grandmother looked at my grandfather in that moment is one I wish to have with my special someone.

Today I will have to relish in the memories I have of my grandparents. The music is still blaring and I'm transport to a time long ago when Sally's first opened her doors. There I see couples dancing an incredible dance. Wow, look at the way they move. The dance is called swing dancing.

I'm back present time at Sally's. I just had a flash back moment, amazing. More couples I know throughout my time at Sally's are arriving. I wish my grandparents were here with me to witness all this. I miss them so much.

In the back of Sally's is a memorial room filled with pictures of soldiers who served in the military beginning from World War 2 to the present. I get up from my seat and walk to the back.

The pictures are beautifully lined in order from the time they served until the time they left. Some of the photos sadly are of those that died in battle. I'm forever grateful my grandfather survived, many of his friends did not survive. My heartbreaks for them and for the countless of others that never made it home.

I look at the pictures one by one, the guys are all handsome including my grandfather. I'm looking at his picture right now. I can tell why my grandmother had eyes only for my grandfather. My grandmother has such an amazing personality, one of kind. She compliments my grandfather so well.

The pictures on the memorial wall are not just men but also of women. I marvel at these incredible women doing a job many believed men have the right to do.

Once I finish looking at the memorial wall I walk to the next room where there are pictures of couples dancing. Every year Sally's has a dancing competition. Many couples from all over town sign up. Mr, and Mrs. Garcia won the competition many times, now they are a bit old to dance like they use to.

I remember coming to see my first dance competition. Sally's was beautifully decorated. The couples looked amazing and Oh My God! the dancing was out of this world. I couldn't pick a winner. I like them all. The dancers were so beautiful.

I leave the room and head outside to the terrace overlooking the Bay. Another great thing about Sally's is the restaurant is right next to the Bay. Day or night you can enjoy the beauty and calmness of the Bay. I always like coming to Sally's during the night, the lights from Sally's cast a beautiful shadow on the Bay is simply magnificent.

The night time breeze feels so wonderful. I love it even during the winter. During the summer the terrace at Sally's is always packed. Everyone wants to enjoy the warmth the season brings.

Well, it's getting a bit cold so I'm heading inside. I never told you how the inside of Sally's looks like. Here it is. Sally's has an old world charm look. The walls are painted in a beautiful deep brown color. The floors match the walls and the tables are not big, just the right size to fit a family of four or six. The lights are perfectly lit to match the mood of Sally's.

When you enter Sally's, you will see candles lit along the walls and the smell of cinnamon greets you. Once you come to Sally's for the first time you won't want to go anywhere else.

As, I walk back to my table I greet the couples I spoke about, we say hi to each other, talk a little then I walk back to my table. I look at the menu once again as the music begins to play. I look up and watch Mr, and Mrs. Garcia and Mr. and Mrs. Freeman begin to dance. I order my food as I watch them dance.

One day I will dance here at Sally's with my special someone, until that time comes I will happily watch these two amazing couples dance.

September 07, 2022 20:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.