1 comment

Fantasy Fiction Suspense

I was an ordinary person, with an ordinary life. I was young, carefree, and innocent. Until the day things started going as told.

***

Everything started going wrong the second I was born. The doctor passed out during labor. The nurse got my name wrong, and put down Lily instead of Lillie. I fell off of the crib. Two nurses were sick that day. 

I'm a very forgetful person. I would forget my umbrella on rainy days, remember to bring my umbrella on sunny days. Arrive at the bus stop a second too late, and have to wait for the next bus. I always drop things, and always in the worst place possible. My new phone went down the gutter. Bag of groceries, on the floor. It's embarrassing to admit, but yes, I got a speeding ticket, on my birthday. You get the idea.

My whole life is just so unlucky, you wouldn't believe it.

You might just think that all this is just a coincidence. So did my friends and family. But it's not. My parents thought that whatever Helena had said was a joke. If we had listened to her, this might not be happening right now. If we had, I would’ve still been safe. If we had, I wouldn’t have been in grave danger. You're probably not following on right now, so let me step it back.

***

Years ago, while in the delivery room, a woman, named Helena, came to my parents and told them of my terrible fate a few minutes after I was born. She said, "Your daughter is doomed to a terrible fate. She will meet a stranger with bad intentions. Only one with a true heart can prevent her from such a destiny." Being so sincere and all, my parents didn't want to hurt Helena's feelings as they thought what she said was completely rubbish and politely thanked her. As she left, she turned around with one last heed: "Shall you not trust, shall you not be advised, her fate will proceed, undeterred." 

Unconvinced, my father demanded an explanation for all the nonsense. "If you are here to disturb us, to interrupt our daughter's life and well-being, you will regret it." Usually, my father isn't like that, but I guess he got pretty annoyed to say something so harsh and unthoughtful to a stranger. He normally is a kind, humorous person. Untouched, Helena slowly walked away and said "You have been warned; shall any misfortune happen, you will know, that I have been right all along."

***

So Everything was fine, up until now. My parents no longer paid attention to the event with Helena. They never had thought of her, ever again. It's like one of those memories, where it happened a long time ago, and you never think of it, until something reminds you of it, and then you can remember it, clear as day.

It was a sunny morning, blue skies with no signs of misfortune. Even I was hopeful that it was going to be a good day. I stopped by the bakery, Love + Flour, and bought a croissant and coffee. Then I walked down the street, said hello to the mailman, waved to a friend, and greeted a couple of squirrels with the leftovers of my pastry. Everything was going just fine (way better than usual,) without a single mishap. (I didn't even bother to bring an umbrella!) I opened my phone to see 5 new messages from my mom. She's the more worrying type. Dad says she hasn't been right since Helena told her that I was in danger. In danger of what? It was probably just a load of rubbish she made up to scare us. I quickly typed a response:

Mom: Honey, when are you going to get back?

Mom: We're going to have guests today.

Mom: I'm preparing a big meal.

Mom: And also trying to make our humble house seem suitable!

Mom: Sweetie? Hello? Are you okay?

                                                                                            'K, Mom, I’m fine. :Me

Mom is typing . . .

Lost in thought, I never noticed where I was going. All of a sudden, I crashed into someone, spilling the hot coffee all over my shirt. I quickly got back up, to see a guy on the floor, also covered in coffee. "Oh, I'm so sorry!" I said. "No, it's fine, I'm not in a rush going anywhere anyway.” He reached into his backpack and pulled out a jacket. "Here," he said, "you can wear it for now." He handed it to me. "And seeing as I've spilled your coffee, may I treat you to lunch?" "Um, no, really, it's fine." "I insist." I mean, it kind of was my fault, but seeing as this man was insistent, I agreed. 

The walk down Manesfort Avenue wasn’t as awkward as I’d expected. I mean, he was a stranger after all. But to be honest, I felt like I’d never been more comfortable talking with someone. 

I’ve never been much of a sociable person. I’m more the type to hide in the shadows, away from the crowd. I’ve never really figured out how they do it. All those popular girls at school, they just talk so fluently. I just don’t know where to start, how to start, or what to say. Like, I just don’t know which word to use. How to say it. Which words would make me look less like the idiot I am. 

This guy was just the opposite of me. He pulled me right into conversation, flawlessly, without pause, whether I wanted to talk or not. “Well, I can’t believe I have been as rude as to not even have asked your name yet! So I shall do so now. Your name, miss?” He asked, with much buoyancy. “Lillie. Lillie Avery. ” I replied. “Pleased to meet you, Lillie. My name’s Jack Anderson. I’m sorry about your shirt. Maybe I could repay you?” he asked. “No, it’s fine.” “Very well. Might I ask where you want to eat? Outback? Five Guys? LongHorn?” This guy-I mean, Jack-is offering Outback? So apparently he knows his stuff. Frankly, I didn’t want to eat, but this guy was pretty charming, so, why not? I wasn’t expected back home until the guests arrived, which was at 5 pm. It was only noon. Plenty of time to eat lunch and do something else. “I think I’ll take Outback,” I said. 

Minutes later, we were sitting in Outback, waiting for our order. As we waited, Jack asked: “So, how’s your day so far? Considering your spilled coffee, I’ll say not-so-great.” “I’ve had worse,” I admitted. He smiled. “Oh, is that a Minnesota Vikings keychain?” “Yeah, I’m a pretty big fan.” “Really? Cool! I’m a big fan myself, too. Couldn’t love it more. My whole room for middle school was Minnesota Viking themed.” “Yeah . . .” 

Um, was he lying to me? There, clear as day, was a Green Bay Packers hat. And anyone that is a fan of the Minnesota Vikings hated the Green Bay Packers. But by the sounds of it, Jack was a HUGE fan. Or not. Was it cause he liked me? I decided not to ask why because I didn’t want to seem nosy. It was not that I cared, anyway. 

We somehow ended up talking about my life, and the questions Jack was asking were pretty personal. Which was where I started getting uncomfortable. ‘How did your parents meet? How was your life growing up? What have you always wanted to try?’ I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. I felt that the non-stop flow of questions couldn’t get more unbearable. 

I was so relieved when our order was ready. Since I simply couldn’t bear any more of this meal, I politely said that my mom needed me home (which was not true), and had to go. But just before I stepped out the door, Jack called out, “Hey, Lily, one last thing: can I have your number?” “Uh, sure. I mean, I don’t see why not.” I replied. I gave my number to Jack and left. 

I started toward home since there wasn’t really anything else I could do. When I walked in, I noticed my mom getting ready for the guests. She looked up as I walked in and said: “Thank god you’re home, Lily. Could you grab those forks on the table for me? Thanks. Everything’s kind of hectic. The guests asked if they could come over an hour earlier! They said that they would have some business later in the day they had to take care of, so of course, I said yes. I keep forgetting stuff, like the burnt chicken on the counter over there. I totally forgot about it, I was so focused on preparing the soup.” My mom’s more the kind to just talk your ear off, you know? Sometimes I feel like she’ll never run out of things to say. “Sure, mom. I could help out.” “Thanks, hon, you’re a lifesaver. I could never handle 3 guests at once!” she replied cheerfully. “Hey, mom, who are the guests?” I asked as I carefully laid out the plates and silverware. “Oh, they’re just old friends of your dad’s. They’ve moved here from Georgia. And since I guess there’s nothing more for you to do here, you can go on, and go do your stuff.” “K,” I said, and left the kitchen. 

Later in the day, around 4, the guests came. When they walked in, I could barely hide my shock. Jack was walking in, with who I guessed were his parents. His father had brown hair, and wore khaki pants with a smooth shirt. “Where’s Will?” he boomed. “He’s about to arrive, maybe in a few minutes. Jack’s mom, on the other hand, had curly blonde hair and wore a tight dress. “Hello,” she greeted. “I brought you guys something, too.” “You shouldn’t have!” mom gushed. 

Finally breaking the silence, Jack said, “Hey, Lily, how about a walk to the beach?’ He gestured to the adults. “They’re busy getting acquainted.” He said just as the parents started into lively conversation, with Jack’s dad in his loud voice, and our moms, jabbering away at lightning speed. “Sure, I guess.” I mean, there isn’t any harm in a quick walk, right? 

Jack led me to his car. It was a shiny new sports car. I couldn’t tear my eyes away. I saw the Bugatti logo and just got mind blown. It was one of the fastest cars in the world! Jack saw me staring and said “Yeah, it’s the new model. C’mon, let’s get in. Inside, there was leather, and there were so many cool gadgets and things! “It’s amazing,” I breathed. “Too bad it isn’t the new Tesla, right?” Jack said jokingly. “Ok, to the beach!” Though before he started driving, he double-checked that every single door was locked. Even in the back row. Seemingly content, he smiled, though there was something sinister to it. I blinked. Now his smile was perfectly normal. I must’ve imagined it. Jack was the opposite of sinister, and wouldn’t do anything evil, right? 

We were driving for a few minutes now, and that’s when things started getting even weirder. Jack got on the highway, which was not the correct way to the nearest beach. What’s more, he took a wrong turn. The beach was far behind us! We were supposed to turn right, not left. We drove off the highway. My mom was calling on the phone. I reached out to answer. Jack quickly took my hand away and said, “It’s ok, Lily, you don’t have to answer.” Then, he called someone, and it sounded like his parents. “Hey, keep the mom busy,” he said. His tone had changed. There wasn’t a single trace of the friendly guy I ate lunch with. All that was left was a scary, cold man. That’s when I started getting worried. Jack wasn’t good, he tricked me. Omg, is he trying to kidnap me? 

I tried to pretend I hadn’t noticed the change in the atmosphere, but it was hard not to. Jack turned off the road, onto a small dirt road next to a vast field of grass. “One sec,” he said as he got out of the car. Losing all trace of niceness, he added “And don’t go anywhere.” Jack got out, made sure the doors were locked, pulled a cigar and lighter out of his pocket, and started smoking. Ugh! Of all the things he had to stop and do! How am I going to get myself out of here? Who knows where Jack is going to take me, and I don’t think it’s going to be pretty, either! 

My phone started vibrating, and I glanced down to see my mom calling again. Well, Jack’s parents sure weren’t doing a good job of keeping my mom busy. Or she’d figured out what was going on and was trying to find a way to contact me in secret, without them finding out. Mom was smart. She would figure this out. I hope. I didn’t want to risk answering, I mean, Jack wasn’t far from me and would notice if I talked to her. I declined the call so that she would at least know that I’m okay. Or, (considering the circumstances) she could’ve thought it was Jack. 

I looked up and noticed that Jack had carelessly left the car keys in the ignition. A sly thought came across my mind . . . 

I quickly undid my seatbelt, crawled over to the driver’s seat, locked the doors and windows so Jack couldn’t get in, and hit the gas pedal. Or what I thought was the gas pedal. I looked out the window. Oh no, Jack had noticed all my sudden movements and was coming this way. Crap! I stepped on the gas-but Jack was already here. The car went forward, but since I rarely drive, the car got stuck in the grass. Great. Just the time for my crappy driving skills to ruin the day. I mean, I barely passed my driving test, so how am I supposed to get out of here alive? Jack tried the door to find it was locked, cussed under his breath at his own stupidity for leaving me in the car alone, and was fumbling for his other spare car keys. I jammed the (actual) gas pedal down, accelerated, made a U-turn, and tried to drive out. Unsuccessfully. I tried it again, being more careful with the gas pedal this time. It worked! I breathed a sigh of relief. There was a chance I could make it out after all! I drove out, and looked in the rearview mirror. Jack was nowhere to be seen. I must’ve lost him. Serves him right. I relaxed and focused on the road. 

And there was Jack! He was hanging onto the outside mirror to my right. He pulled himself up onto the hood. No joke, he was fit. I couldn’t even pull myself onto the bed! On the hood of the car, Jack was trying to find ways in. I hope he doesn’t try to break one of the mirrors. Panicking, I decided that I wasn’t going to go easy on this guy anymore. I floored it, going from 56 mph to 100 mph in seconds. Jack flew off, and if it wasn’t for the seriousness of the situation, I would have laughed. Just to be sure he was gone for good, I looked in the rearview mirror. Good. He wasn’t hurt, and landed in the grass, but maybe had a broken leg or arm. 

I picked up my phone, called the police, and then my mom and told her what was happening. The call went something like this: “Omg sweetie are you okay? Where are you? I called you so many times but you declined. Omg I didn’t know if it was you or that guy-Jacob, wasn’t it?” she said through tears. I sighed. My mom was getting pretty forgetful, and the fact that no one had any idea where I was didn’t help. “No mom, it was Jack, not Jacob. Are you guys okay? The police are on the way; don’t worry. I’m coming home. My phone can connect to WiFi, so I’m using a GPS. I’ve also given them Jack’s location and description. Apparently he’s done stuff like this before. They put him in jail along with his “parents”, but they served their time and left.” “Oh, thank god you’re okay-that’s all that matters right now.” My dad sounded relieved after my explanation. He hadn’t said much, but he was a good listener. “The thing is, I never knew the “guests”. I noticed something was wrong as soon as I got home. But by then, you’d left with Jack.” Dad sounded concerned. “Okay, mom, dad, I’m almost home-just around the corner. Don’t worry, everything’s fine now. Bye.” “Bye, honey.”

My thoughts drifted to Helena. I guess she was right about the whole thing. But who was the one with a true heart that saved me? There wasn’t anyone else there except for me and Jack. Oh! It was me! I saved myself!

I ended the call and closed my phone. I could recognize the shops and restaurants. Look, there was Love + Flour, Drugs ‘N All, Cheezy’s Pizza, and Puppy Paradise. Everything was going to be fine. I was safe now. 

As I drove in my neighborhood, I saw that there were police cars all around the place. Their flashing blue and red lights felt like a welcome home. Then I noticed Jack’s “parents” going into a police car. My parents were there, too. Mom was crying, and dad looked very relieved. I got out of the car, and had never felt more ready to collapse in bed, and to wake up to a normal, happy day. It would be normal. Right?

October 09, 2020 12:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Sophia J.
12:56 Oct 09, 2020

The end of this story might be a little fast-paced. The word limit was 3k words, and so I deleted some parts to make it work. I hope you guys like it and tell me where I need to improve, and which parts you like! That would help a lot! Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.