2 comments

Crime Drama

Nine months. That’s how long I’ve been sitting in this dusty cell, hoping for a chance to see the light. The days are long and tiring, and I feel barely alive. I sigh, laying back on my flat mattress. I hear harsh footsteps, but I don’t look up. Is it lunch already?

Then, I hear my cell door open, and two cops drag me out. “Where am I going?” The cops ignore me and continue to drag me up the stairs, and then I see it: daylight.

The golden sun gleams with light, as oranges and pinks dance around it. The sky is filled with the glorious, dewy morning. My eyes fill with light. Nine months. I haven’t seen the sun rise in nine months. A smile spreads across my face, even though I don’t wan to show it. The cops grumble and shove me down the steps and into their cop car, bedazzled with letters and those harsh red and blue lights on top. 

We zoom through the city, my eyes wide open. Nine months. I haven’t seen these tall buildings, this vast city in nine months. 

And then, I’m standing in front of a grand building, it’s giant pillars guarding the entrance. I know where I am. The courthouse. 

I’m ushered into a large open room. The judge shuffles her papers and files, and then lowers her glasses. “You are—” She glances down lazily at her pile of papers. “Luanne Hogue?”

“Yes, your honor,” I answer, fidgeting nervously. 

“Okay then. Do you swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth?” She asks. I pause. No matter how much I wanted to do the right thing, I knew I couldn’t. I would have to lie.

“Yes.”

The judge looked skeptical, but nonetheless called in my lawyer. He told my entire false story to the judge, about how I had robbed a bank and broke into a high security vault. Eventually, he claimed, I was caught and held in prison for nine months. Now, it would be determined if I would leave prison or continue to live in that dark, empty cell for another nine months. The judge turned to me. “Luanne Hogue, do you have a defense?”

I sat up straighter. “I do, your honor.” I spoke of how I had been financially unstable, and had recently lost my job. I stated that if I did not get a large supply of money quickly, my family would starve. This was all, of course, a lie.

The judge thanked me for my defense and input, and told me I would have to wait two weeks for the final verdict. I left, the cops gripping my arms tightly. 

While sitting in my grimy, dusty cell, I finally thought about who I was doing this all for. My best friend, Carlotta Wilms. 

When she told me she was going to rob a bank, I didn’t believe her. I never thought in a million years she would be serious. 

And then, the strangest thing happened.

I was just stepping into the bank when I saw the terrified looks on their faces. They told me to run, get as far away from the bank as possible. I heard hushed whispers and rumors bounce around the high ceilings and land in my ears: that a robbery was in progress. I leaped over the bank teller’s counter and opened the door behind them. They didn’t try to stop me. I sprinted down long hallways and around sharp corners until a came to a high security vault. The robber whipped around and held their gun out. I put my hands in the air, and then I realized something: I knew this person. The deep sea blue eyes and bright blond hair were the same, even if they were covered in dark clothing. It was Carlotta. 

“It’s me, Carlotta!”

She stops to stare at me. “Run!” I yell. “I’ll cover for you!” She finally comes back to reality, grabs the tote of money, and runs down the hallway. Then, the cops arrive.

“Stop! Put your hands up!” I hadn’t planned on getting arrested, but I guess I had no choice now. I slowly raise my arms up over my head. Soon enough, handcuffs are on my wrists. 

In a minute, I hear grumbling, and I forget about the whole situation. I did this to protect my friend, and I’m not about to get her into more trouble than she already is. The cops come back to give me stale bread and lukewarm water. 

Then, somehow, I’m back in the courthouse, after two unbearable weeks. 

“Hello again, Luanne Hogue,” She says. “You are here for your final verdict. You were charged with robbery at the Union Finance Bank. You have served your jail time for nine months. Now, I am to decide if you will have to stay another nine months.

“Luanne Hogue, when I first heard your story, I was heartbroken,” the judge continued. “I knew you had no other choice. Then, earlier this week, I pulled up your records.” My body froze. My heart stopped beating.

“You know, anyone with access to your files can see your family records, relations, and, most importantly, your financial records. I saw that you had plenty of money, and so did your family. You had lied to me, after pledging you would not. So Luanne Hogue, I charge you of robbery and fraud. You will be sentenced to nine more months in prison.”

Slowly, I was marched out of the room. I knew this was all for Carlotta, but sometimes, too, I wondered what would happen if I told everyone the truth for once. At least she was happy. She deserved the money. Maybe, one day, I’d see her again, and she’d thank me for all my sacrifices that I made for her. I knew as the cops and I walked back out to the car, the stars twinkling above us, that we were both staring up at the same moon. Nine more months. That’s how long I would be in prison for.

December 04, 2020 15:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

16:11 Dec 04, 2020

Your paragraphing is lovely. Who ever had to force you to do it is very skilled. Ask them to do it next time or do it yourself so you don’t take up their recess. Actually your indentions are wrong

Reply

13:48 Dec 10, 2020

Ok

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.