Valentine

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

17 comments

Holiday Funny Sad

note! This is not part of the prompt! I wanted to show my story I’ve written that is about Valentine’s Day. Hope you like it!

             Chapter One, Hello

 Before it all happened. Before he entered my life. The day before Valentine’s Day. Before my life changed, forever. My name is Raven, I’m 16 and I’m a highschool freshman. Now have me share my story. 

  “Raven! Time to get up!” 

  “Five more minutes,” I mumble. I roll out of bed and look at the time. It’s so early… I walk to my closet and pick out a black sweatshirt with a white wolf embroidered on it, some dark blue ripped jeans (I knew it was against the dress code, that’s why I wore it), some white sneakers, and finally, a black hat that says, “BROKEN” on it. I run downstairs and look at my plate. “Pancakes… again, sigh…” I drown the pancake in syrup. Yum. I gobble it down and don’t even mind it running down my chin. I use the sink water to wash the stickiness off then grab my bag and walk out the door with my bag slung over my right shoulder.

    I walk out into the woods and go to a small cabin. There I keep my deepest darkest secrets. Two of which I needed. One was my all black dairy and the other was my all black wolf Lobo. “Lobo,” I called after I grabbed my dairy. “LOBO!!!” Something moves. “Lobo?” A black wolf pounces on me. “Hahaha!” I laugh. Lobo barks, wags his tail, and then gets off me. I smile and get up. We walk off to school while I write in my diary. In my diary I keep my life story and all of my secrets. As you can imagine, very secretive. 

   I walk into school and people look at me as I walk by. I keep my head up and step proudly to the direction of my class. Then comes Pepper. I instantly throw my head down and she trips me.

   “HAHAHA! LOSER!” they scream at me. I look at them in the face and stand up.

  “Why do you pick on me?” I ask, remaining calm.

  “Cause it’s fun to see you cry like a baby!” They smile evilly. 

  “Leave me, and everyone else alone.” I walk off and a small smirk grows on my face.

  “Whatever loser! At least I have a boyfriend for Valentines!”

  My eyes tear up and I run to the bathroom. I hear the bell ring. I’m late. As always. Every Valentine's I never have someone who wants to go with me to the dance. I’ve gone with my friend and his girlfriend but it’s really weird so I end up leaving.

  I wish I had someone who loved me for once.

           Chapter Two, The Boy

I went to class and opened my book. Inside were all of my “notes” . I honestly just kept my drawings in it. I’ve never shown them to anyone.

  “Today, class, we will be learning about the mathematical expression for pie,”

  Ugh… not again. I tip my head down and close my eyes. A sudden slam makes my heart thump and I look up. A boy with black hair and green eyes wearing all black walks in and pants. 

  “I’m sorry I’m late,” he’s breathing deeply.

  “Oh it’s alright! Class, this is Ash, our new student.”

  His eyes burn right through me. I panic and look down, as I start drawing with a pen on my arm, he takes a seat right beside me.

  “What’s your name?” His voice is deep but calm. Just like mine.

  “Raven.” I don’t add anything else. Just my name in my calm voice.

  “Cool I’m-

  “Ash” I know it’s rude to interrupt but I was sweating. Did I, like him?!

  No way. Never. I don’t like him. Ahh!!! He’s smiling at me! 🥰 Wait! What am I saying!? 

  I look away from his glittering emerald eyes. I blush under my hat and look down. 

  “I like you’re hat.”

  He’s talking to me!

  “Uhm… thanks…”

  I pull out my math book and flip through the pages. All my drawings. 

  “Hey,” 

  I look at him, trying not to blush.

  “Did you draw those?”

  I look away and fiddle with my hair.

  “Y-yeah…”

  “There so cool! Can I see?”

  “I’m sorry. I have to go…” I get up because the bell had rung.

  “Wait!”

  Tears form in my eyes as I walk away. Why did I do that?! Do I like him? Does he like me? I go to my locker and get my things for Social Study’s. I take a few deep breaths and I turn to see his cute face smiling at me. He is just like a contagious happy feeling. I can’t help but grin.

  “Hey do you want to be friends?” He asks.

  Friends!? Are my ears hearing me right or is he asking me Raven the geek to be his… FRIEND!?

     Chapter Three,Rejection 

  “Sure,” I say, now my face is red. I can feel it.

  “Cool! See you at lunch?”

  His eyes shine right through me. Eeeee!

  “Yeah…” Why am I acting so calm?!

  I walk to class in a daze. I definitely like him.

  I sit down and I draw a picture of him. I add color and smile. It doesn’t have his sparkle in the eyes but it’ll do.

  At lunch I saw him at a table and I smiled widely.

  “Hey Rave!!!” 

  A nickname!?! 🥰

  I think i'm in love…. like, a lot!!!

  I look into his eyes and try to stay calm. 

  “Hey.” Omg! How do I act so calm around him!?!

  “So uh… I was just wondering… do you have anyone for the dance?”

  I blush so hard I feel like I’ll explode.

  “N-no… not at all actually…”

  “Oh well we could go as friends if you want.”

  “A-actually, I’m busy so I gotta go.” 

  I hurry out of the room.

          Chapter Four,I hate myself

  I HATE MYSELF! WHY DID I DO THAT!? I REJECTED HIM! TO THE DANCE!!! AHHHHHH!

  Well… I’ll never have a chance like that again! I hate you Raven… I hate you so much…

  I walk up to him once I find him in the hall.

  “Hey, uhm…”

 He turns to me with black under his eyes. He was crying.

  “What do you want, freak.”

  My eyes open in surprise. Did he call me… freak…

  “A-ash i-

  “Get away from me ok?”

  My eyes formed in salty tears ready to cry an ocean.

  “Whatever makes you happy Ash.”

  I walk away with huge tears. My eyes let down the barrier and I cry in the halls I fall to the ground. The bell rings and everyone leaves. I cry and cry and curl myself into a small, non-existence. My head was hurting so bad and I wanted to scream. I was so upset. Why, why did I, Raven Rose Bottom, have to reject my crush to the dance. I guess I’ll be lonely like every year. I wanna go home.

        Chapter Five, Raven the geek 

  I lay in bed looking at my calendar with a huge red circle around today. I tear up and run to it and tear it down with all my power. I feel tears running down my cheeks but I just walk into the kitchen, grab some water, and drink. My breathing settles and I look into the mirror. 

  “Raven the freak. Raven the geek. Raven the crybaby. Raven the crow. Raven the ugly. Raven the nasty. Raven the smelly. Raven, the unpopular freshman that rejected her crush to the dance at Valentine’s.”

  I go to school and instead of keeping my head up, I keep it low. Real low. So low that the deepest and darkest can’t see me now.

  I walk into class and sit down next to Ash. I avoid his look and then take a glance at my desk. A pink letter with my name on it lay there. I give it a double take and run my hands over the letters engraved on the envelope. I open it slowly and read it carefully.

  “Dear Raven, 

    You are the prettiest girl I’ve ever met. I really would like to go to the dance with you. But knowing you,  you’d probably say no. But I’d like to meet you in the library after lunch.”    Thanks Raven, Mystery Man.

    Who could this be from? Mystery Man? Who in the world would ask me out?!

    “Hello.”

    “WHAT THE ACTUAL FRICK!! YOU SCARED THE LIFE OUTTA ME!!!”

    “Sorry mam.”

    “YOU SHOULD BE SORRY”

    “Mah names Jackson A. Wassup?”

    I try and calm down but he’s right next to me and acting so strangely.

  “Uhhh nothing… just sitting…”

  “Cool bye.”

  I shake my head in confusion and look at the ground. I smile, looking at the letter again. I can’t wait until library. I’m such a geek. 

Chapter Six, The Other side of the story.

    As I walk to lunch I think. I don’t know what about, but I just… think. A random guy asked me out. I’m going to figure it out at the library. Library is in 27 minutes, and 48 seconds. My head was clouded.

  I sit down alone and sigh. I look at Ash. He’s got a girlfriend, he wouldn’t ask me out. I look at all the boys and close my eyes and take a deep breath. As I open them I see a boy looking right at me. He sees me looking at him and nervously looks away. I smile. I think I know who my mystery man is.

  I walk over to him.

  “Hey.” I say deeply.

  “O-oh uh hi Raven.”

  “What’s your name?”

  “U-u-uh Carson.”

  “Nice to meet yah.”

  “Ye-ah…”

  “So, whatcha writing?”

  “O-oh n-nothing!

  “Lemme see!”

  “No!”

 “Haha! I’m kidding. See you around Carson!” 

  I wave my hand bye. 

  Before library, I had some free time so I decided to take a walk with Lobo. I walk through the forest with him by my side. I sit on a tree stump and brush my hands through his soft, black fur. I close my eyes and smile as I take a huge deep breath of wood smelling air. 

  “I’ll see you when I come home ok?”

  Lobo barks as if saying, “make sure to give me all the details!”

  I smile and kiss his soft head. I walk away and sigh, remembering what is coming next. I watch the news as I sit on the library chair. I gasp as the news line reads, “Kid known as Jackson A has bombed a high school and nearby orphanage.” He painted in red in the orphanage, “who are they going to tell? Their parents?” But then I wake up. It was a dream.

  “What a strange dream… blowing up orphanages and schools… huh…”

January 14, 2021 15:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

J The Hedgehog
18:05 Jan 19, 2021

Yass queen

Reply

Show 0 replies
J The Hedgehog
18:04 Jan 15, 2021

Omg I love this story I need more!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

18:06 Jan 15, 2021

Thank you so much! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
05:07 Mar 03, 2021

ooh i like this Raven gal, dark and mysterious, tom-boy, all to describe me XDDD I love the perspective you give animals and ....THAT WOLF! I loved her (or him I guess), seriously tho, I totally can relate to Raven (except that I have never been asked out...but that doesn't matter) Great job!

Reply

12:55 Mar 03, 2021

Thank u so much! 💜 and if u liked that, then there is the second one I posted a few days ago!

Reply

TJ Squared
15:34 Mar 03, 2021

i will check it out soon :)

Reply

16:43 Mar 03, 2021

Yay! Hope u like it!

Reply

TJ Squared
16:49 Mar 03, 2021

:)))))))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
J The Hedgehog
00:50 Jan 28, 2021

Wwwwoooooowwwwww

Reply

Show 0 replies
13:34 Jan 22, 2021

I kinda gave her a tomboy feel and stuff so I hope I captured that in this. AND THAT ENDING! 😅😏 SAD BUT TRUEEE P.S. there will be moreeeee

Reply

Show 0 replies
J The Hedgehog
18:06 Jan 15, 2021

You should write about a girl who goes into a portal by accident and learns to love other species

Reply

18:06 Jan 15, 2021

Ooooh! Sure! I’ll try something like that...

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:06 Jan 15, 2021

Ooooh! Sure! I’ll try something like that...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
18:05 Jan 15, 2021

Thanks! :) I’m writing more chapters everyday!

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:50 Jan 14, 2021

This was a story that I loved writing! I hope you like it and please read for more chapters!(Oof)

Reply

Show 0 replies
J The Hedgehog
12:37 Mar 31, 2021

You are cute 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥴

Reply

12:37 Mar 31, 2021

Uhm. Ok? Cool? AS A FRIEND THAN SURE!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.