0 comments

General


As she checked the mail, she noticed a letter that makes her stop in her tracks.

The familiar scribbles writing, could it be?! No, not after all these years!

She put the letter back down on her little end table and left it there in a pile.

She smoked her cigarette and read a magazine, all the while, occasionally returning a glance at the letter on her nook. Could it really be???!


She finally picked the letter up and rather savagely ripped it open.

Her heart all but stopped right then and there. The writing, the scribbles, they WERE

from where she gathered they might be….from her.


She was from a time long since passed and but always a short jaunt away in the brain to remember. No, she would never forget. This was a letter from a friend so long since absent that it almost struck fear in hear heart. Fear, anger, abandonment, confusion, all the emotions felt by someone who had been left.


Oh and bitterness, don’t forget that healthy dose of bitterness she felt once the rest of the emotions settled and her heart had stopped crying out for the one she loved.


She brushed her hand over and over and over the scribbles, all the while thinking of how

her ex almost lover’s pen had glided in her hand and she wrote down whatever the hell it was she written down. She had not looked yet to actually read the words. Talk about suspense, why was she doing this to herself?


She flicked her cigarette out, nasty habit, must make mental note to quit, she whispered in her heard.


She looked down at the paper and took a deep breath.


“You might not even remember me,” it said, “Yeah right, she replied to herself”.

“I am coming to Toronto over the weekend to see my father, he is dying.” She trailed off.

“I’m hoping to see you while I am there; it has been way too long”


The NERVE! The out and out completely outrageous NERVE of the girl, well, now a woman.


She thought of a hundred reasons she shouldn’t go and only one for why she should.


“I loved her”, she thought. “I truly, truly thought I could save her, we could save each other.” “What messes we were”.


She slightly crumpled the paper in her and then immediately regretting it and used her hands on her knee to straighten the paper back out.


“Yes, I will go, I will go. I must be crazy, surely I am. I will go” She muttered to herself as she fell asleep in her rocking chair.

She soon woke up to the phone ringing, which she, of course, ignored, as always.

She looked at the somewhat still crumbled paper in her hand and suddenly her breath

got very heavy, this “invitation” is for tonight!!!! 


“You will find me at our old stomping grounds around 9 pm.” Was all it said.


Why me? Why now, she wondered. After all these years, why hash it up all now.

Or was she hopping she’d just forget the past and it would be just like old times.

She is foolish if she thinks I’m just that easy! She thought to her self and almost half side smirked.   


Yes, maybe it would be good to go there and show her how different she is now. After all, Annie hadn’t seen Georgia in a long, long time. So much has changed about and with Georgia. Annie won’t believe when she catches a load of this woman! She’s new, she powerful…and right now she is a wee bit intimidated, if she’s being honest.


The rest of Georgia’s evening was spent ravaging her closet for the perfect outfit!

“What says, F*&you for leaving and, I bet you still want a this” at the same time!

AHA!!!! My purple satin dress, she thought to herself, but no, that is too much, too

obvious. But do I even want her to think I’m available to her whims? Now that was the question! Ah, the burgundy jumpsuit, that would be perfect. Looks knock out good, but also says comfort, as in, I’m not trying to hard for you!


The rest of the day would be spent with Georgia bathing, powdering, doing her hair over and over again, eventually settling on a messy bun with curly tendrils hanging down in various locations. Then time for her make up. Dark bar (The old stomping grounds) equals equally dark and mysterious make up, she thought. Burgundy eyeshadow with grey liquid lipstick. That will show she seriously means business and wants to get to the bottom of this meeting.


Before she knew it, Georgia was spritzing on her favourite scent. A heavy scent with romantic and even some masculine undertones and then she was out the door.



It was cold out but Georgia didn’t feel like wearing a jacket so she just picked up the nearest sweater, not even thinking that it had been Annie’s. Once she realized the sweater was Annie’s, she decided it was a good move to wear it, thusly reminding

Annie of older, secure times, times with warmth, security, love, curiosity. Yes, the sweater was a good, although originally unintentional move.


And just like that she was out the door, fumbling for her car keys, wondering if she should even be driving it this sort of anxious over excited mood she was in.


She also felt doom. What if Annie was back to tell her she regretted everything and wished it had never happened? What if Annie regrets their whole 9 month interlude? That would simply break Georgia’s heart. Could she bare it being broken yet again?





Georgia pulled in the bar’s parking lot and of course, hit her head on the way out, got her nylons snagged on the door and had dropped her keys. 

“This is a good sign.” She chuckled nervously to herself.


Georgia entered the bar and immediately saw a short, slim, fit woman with shorter blonde hair than the last time she saw it.


Georgia decided to go over with a drink instead of sitting down first. Really she was just procrastinating. She ordered an Amaretto with cranberry juice and ice and mad her way over to the corner of the bar. It was still dark in there, with its blood red walls. Georgia was kind of glad for the darkness.


“SO”, Georgia said as she sat down at Annie’s table.


“So what?” Annie replied sheepishly


“You know full well what, why all the mystery” Georgia proclaimed


Annie cleared her throat which made Georgia even more nervous but would come out of her mouth after was really a surprise.


“Georgia please be strong, please be strong, be strong” Georgia thought in her head.

After all, it was Annie who broke Georgia’s heart.


Annie then proceeded to tell Georgia how much she missed her, how her soul missed her soul and he heart missed her heart and her lips, oh how her lips missed her lips. And why had they ever separated. To that, Georgia laughed. But still, Annie’s words were hitting deep. They were the words she had dreamed so many times of hearing only to come home to empty voice mail.



Shaking, Annie extended Georgia her hand. Georgia found herself not even hesitating and grabbing her hand back and squeezing it so tightly.


What Annie left for, what she had found when she left, and why she came back didn’t matter now. She was here and she was with Georgia.


“And I’m never leaving” Annie whispered.                                        


This time, Georgia believed her.

June 20, 2020 10:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.