1 comment

Mystery

My grandmother lived in the country. My brother & I would visit every summer. She owned a beautiful huge plot of land which consisted of deep green pastures, hills filled with lavender flowers, & all the way in the back there was the woods. She would let us play in the pastures & on the hills but she always warned us not to go near the woods. She never told us why, when we would ask why she simply would say "no one knows who lurks within the murky darkness." That phrase always frighten my brother & I. Yet, this summer we were teenagers & looking for adventure.

It was our first day at our grandmother's house & all was happening as it usual would. It was the early afternoon & she was starting to cook dinner & told us this time she'll bake an apple pie for dessert. We told her we'll go outside for a bit & she nodded. Nothing was out of the ordinary. My brother, John, had expressed to me while we were still back home how he wants to explore the woods this year. I told him I felt the same, so as soon as we walked out of the back door we headed straight for the woods.

It took about 20 minutes to reach the woods. The sun was at its highest peak yet the woods were as dark as night. Fear swept over me & I no longer wanted to go in the woods. "Let's go back." I said to John. "No way, we came this far !" He exclaimed. He pulled a small flashlight from his pocket & it gave me a bit of ease. As soon as we stepped onto the moisten foilage of the wood's floor, we fell thru a hole which was more like a tunnel. We were sliding down fast & screaming at the top of our lungs hoping someone would hear & come running to rescue us. No one came. We enter a chamber of liquid which reeked of death. The liquid began burning our skin & that's the moment we realized that this is it. We had hopes of exploring the forbidden woods but instead we ended up in the belly of a huge beast. The terror of knowing we will never be found overtook me, because "no one knows who lurks within the murky darkness of the woods."

November 16, 2019 23:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Derek Williams
05:00 Nov 28, 2019

Wow! Great short story! I could almost feel what you were describing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.