0 comments

Fiction

The restaurant was dimly lit, with a thick, dusky atmosphere that made it almost eerie. The round tables were spread neatly throughout the restaurant, their dark wood blending with the deep red tablecloths. The only bright thing in the room was a small vase at the center of each table, containing a single white daisy. The room was almost empty, a few couples and small families sitting at the tables in the middle of the room, where the light was brightest. 

Edika, Miles, and Jen walked into the restaurant, eyes slowly adjusting to the darkness. Miles, ever the leader, walked into the room and found a table at the very corner of the room. They sat, looking around the restaurant in curiosity. 

Miles glanced at his watch. “Where’s Ford?”

“He’ll be here,” Edika said, glancing at the door. “He said to start without him.” She leaned back in her chair. “This place is gloomy, isn’t it?”

“Yes,” Jen said, rubbing her arms as if cold. “In all of Paris, we’re eating here. Here.” She rolled her eyes. 

“Has anyone eaten here before?” Edika asked. Miles and Jen had been to France before, but it was her first time. 

Everyone shook their heads. “My uncle recommended it,” Miles said. “I guess we’ll have to see…” He trailed off as a waiter walked up. 

The waiter- whose name tag read Ben, strode to the table and smiled. Edika shrank back. His smile was...strange. Fake. Too wide. He met her eyes with his dark- almost black- ones and something in his gaze made her shiver. She smiled to herself and brushed it off.

 Nonsense. 

“Here are your menus,” Ben said, gracefully passing out the dark red folders. “I will be back shortly to take your orders.” He turned on his heel and walked away. Edika stared after him. “Did something seem...off about him?”

The others at the table looked at her with curiosity. “I wasn’t paying attention,” Jen said, glancing down at her menu. 

“Hm.” Edika glanced back into the darkness where the waiter had gone, and then looked at her menu. The writing was printed in long, elegant swirls that made her head swim a little. She blinked and passed her eyes down the menu, looking at all the wide variety of meals to choose from. Several minutes passed, the group silently looking over the options, and then Ben was there, little notepad and pen in hand, waiting politely. “Have you decided?”

Jen ordered first, while Edika hastily searched the menu, trying to decide. Ben turned to her. “Order?”

Edika looked up. “I’ll have the spaghetti, please.”

“And to drink?” Ben’s pen tapped on the notecard as he jotted her order down. 

“Just water.”

Tap tap tap. “And you, sir?” The waiter turned his wide smile to Miles. 

Miles’ kept his eyes on the menu and read off of it. “Can I have the baked honey mustard chicken?” He looked up. “With no paprika, please.”

Ben’s pen clattered to the table, and he swiftly picked it back up, murmuring an apology. He looked back at Miles, and his face had changed from fakely cheerful to serious and thoughtful. “No paprika?”

“No paprika. Thank you.” Miles closed the menu and handed it back to Ben. 

Ben took it. Tap tap tap went the pen. He spoke softly. “Would you like a complimentary toothpick with that chicken, sir?”

Miles was clearly taken aback. “Um...sure.” 

Ben’s brow furrowed and he nodded firmly, then silently took the rest of the menus, and walked away. “Strange,” Jen remarked, watching him go. “You were right, Edika. There’s something odd about him…”

A second later, Ben returned. Without a word, he set a toothpick down in front of Miles, then left. Miles stared at the toothpick, then belatedly said, “Thanks.” He looked up, an expression of utter confusion on his face. 

Edika shrugged, and Jen giggled. “Complimentary toothpick.” Miles cracked a smile, then shook his head and flicked the toothpick across the table. It landed in front of Edika, and she fingered it carelessly as they waited for their food. 

A little bell chimed at the front of the store, and they all turned to see Ford enter, looking winded. He spotted them, lifted a hand, and walked their way. He sat next to Jen. “Sorry I’m late. I’ll order when they come with your food.” 

Jen nudged him. “What were you doing?”

Ford took the glasses off his nose and put them on the table in front of him. “Studying the physiology of the Dragon Arum.”

Jen stared at him, then rolled her eyes and laughed. “Botanists.” 

They chatted quietly for several minutes, telling Ford what had happened with the toothpick. Edika held it up as proof and laughed. Ford found it very amusing. 

After several minutes, Ben walked up with a tray full of steaming food. He passed it out, quickly taking Ford’s order, eyed the toothpick in front of Edika, and left silently. “He is odd,” Ford said, fingering the pair of glasses in his hand. “Did you notice his pen?”

Jen gave a little giggle. “No, Ford, we didn’t really pay any attention to the waiter’s pen.” 

“Why?” Miles asked Ford. 

Ford frowned, looking thoughtful. “Oh, nothing.”

“You won’t get away with that,” Jen said, “But I’m going to have to talk about that later...this smells delicious!” She picked up her fork. 

They ate mostly in silence, occasionally making small talk, planning out the rest of their trip. When the food was gone they got up to leave. Edika picked up the toothpick to put it on a plate when something caught her eye. She sat back on the bench and held the toothpick up to her eyes, squinting. “Ford?”

Ford turned. “Hm?” Edika handed him the toothpick and pointed. Ford frowned and put his glasses back on, framing his gray eyes. He studied the toothpick, his brow furrowing. 

Miles and Jen walked over. “What is it?” Jen peeked over Ford’s shoulder. 

Ford took out a small magnifying glass from his pocket and gave it and the toothpick back to Edika. “Look.”

Edika held the magnifying glass up to the toothpick, leaning in. There, written in small letters on the side of the toothpick, were the words, 

Tomorrow at noon, at the Sacré-Cœur. Don’t be late.

Your life depends on it.  

May 27, 2021 19:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.