The Secret that we should have left unsaid

Submitted into Contest #121 in response to: Start your story with someone saying “Thanks a lot” (sarcastically or sincerely).... view prompt

1 comment

Drama High School Fiction

“Thanks a lot” Jade said…. In such a deadpan voice that I half believed she was just a programming speaking through a broken mic. Of course I knew it was all sarcasm but it was who it was directed at that made it a little surprising as to what she said.

After all, the person at the receiving end of this sarcasm was quite the ace student, Scarlett, with what seemed to be a secret sort of Nero complex (and by secret I mean obvious if you really look into It.) but nevertheless an interesting person to have a conversation with.

Everyone has that one flaw in them that obscures any other blemish they might have….. And it’s safe to say that our ace-girl never quite knows where to draw the line to her actions or filter her words when it comes to other people and their understanding of it.

Rumours are dangerous, more than most people think they are. And the more that story is spread, the more it changes, from a small spark to a full-fledged fire, a rock becomes a mountain, and this never ending twisted road only leads to a drastic and unsightly plot, far, far away from the truth, if any to begin with.

A rumour is like a lit matchstick appearing from thin air that touches everything around it, spreading at a speed that even light would be jealous of. The match might belong to one person but in the case of rumours it is almost never the owner who ends up lighting it.

 Jade (our very sarcastic girl from para 1) has always been the kind of kid whose death stare would make a grown adult feel like running in the other direction. Or so I’ve been told, I have never had it focused on me because I never gave her a reason to glare at me. So to say, people stay out of her business and never crossed the line with her.

I can’t quite tell you what kind of student she is in terms of studies (I couldn’t care to notice) but it is a given that she is unsurpassed at sports in our school and therefore represents us almost every time, never ceasing to amaze us and always living up to the school’s dignity by being our pride and joy.

 Remember the word rumour that I told you about? Jade is the person who couldn’t care less about them unless they touch her, in which case…… sayonara to whoever started it. Jade hates rumours and dislikes being involved in any of it and therefore loathes it when the whispers are about her resulting in her name being carried through the wind and reaching every other ear.

Scarlett on the other hand, is the kind of girl who fantasizes life stories to a point where it doesn’t sound real or of this planet either. Everyone in the school is well aware of her crazy antics and her mad desire for the whole school to see anything she has witnessed, only after she knows the right story of course (or so she says). Not to mention she likes twisting someone’s memory into a pretzel and then selling the story as if it were a freshly baked, hot necessity in everyone’s life.

It’s this part of Scarlett’s personality that everyone tries to stay away from and ignore when they’re around her. I doubt even her closest friends fancy confiding in her for she believes in the “right to knowledge” always forgetting a certain thing known as personal space and trust.

Jade clearly has never liked Scarlett, but she did acknowledge her efficiency as an organizer and a great add on to the prefect council. Let’s just say that Jade recognized that she existed and couldn’t care less about her actions or words.

Now my sources (who I will not reveal) had told me that Jade had a secret, and that if it happened to be that Scarlett found out, this whole world would know about it. But what was the secret? Was it that important? I was itching to find out. Now, I will not mention much about me, but all you, my dear reader, need to know is that, I am in the clear as far as secrets are concerned.

It is a masked honour that everyone knows exists but no one knows to whom it belongs. I have my own code and identity, but to my school, I am (if you will), “the nameless treasurer”. The person who will keep your secrets and never spill it out, unless it hurts almost every other creature. In which case the treasurer becomes the usurper of the dark and silent dimension of secrets.

Dramatic, I know, but what can I do? I was sought out due to my personality and was handed over the job of keeping the secrets and I’ll be honest, it was a nice deal. The school’s respect and “tea” in exchange for my boredom.

What do you see when you walk through a crowded hallway in school? Perhaps your friends (I don’t have any) or maybe your crush (I’m a narcissist) or that one rumour you and only you can confirm (exciting, I know). So then what do I see? Their dark souls? The ugly on the inside? Well technically I see humans, just like you (I think), the difference being that I know what their mask looks like and what they are hiding inside.

I suppose we all have that one person that we can see through in our lives, but people and their emotions have always been crystal clear to me. Now, since I have cleared your doubts as to me being a stalker obsessed with perhaps Jade, or maybe Scarlett, or probably both, let’s move on to the secrets of the two near perfect schoolmates of mine who star in my entry today.

A lot of people like being popular, well known and wanted, someone people look up to, and they always have a reason for it. Whether it’s being neglected, or not living in a decent atmosphere, or perchance trying to prove someone (or yourself) that you can be better…. Countless possibilities.

And the more attention you crave, the darker your reason could be (or you could be an attention seeker too, that works). But there are people like Jade, who make their own name and reputation, not necessarily seeking fame. However, just by doing what they want to without questioning if it will be okay by other peoples’ standards, they gain a certain kind of unconscious admiration and respect from their peers.

So what was the secret? I’ll interpret now…

·     It has something to with Jade (No kidding)

·     Scarlett is involved (or she’d never know about it)

·     Jade in all her pride and glory, clearly doesn’t appreciate Scarlett’s curiosity

·     Scarlett does not know how to mind her business (I think I’ve covered that one before)

·     ……….. I…. don’t know

How frustrating! I have no more points, and my dear reader, you must be wondering, “Isn’t she supposed to know it all when it comes to secrets?” Yes I know, surprising isn’t it? But rest assured that I will find out, and make sure that this secret is talked down to the better path. And that my dear reader, I must to do for it is what my second hidden life in school is meant for.

I hope to unveil another play of emotions in life, so my dear reader, until then.

Yours in all my interpretations

The Wallflower

November 27, 2021 04:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Sim K
10:26 Dec 03, 2021

It's my first story so I'm not sure i captured the characters that well so I would love any feedback that could help me describe them better.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.