11 comments

Drama

“How’s it going? Dad and I are so excited to hear everything!”


“It’s—it’s great.”


“Have you gone to the Empire State Building yet? Or Central Park?”


“I’ve just been a little busy…work, you know....”


The other end of the line falls quiet for a moment, before Mom launches into the newest adventures from my hometown—the elk bugling, the changing of the aspen leaves from green to vibrant reds, yellows, and oranges.


I nod along, staring at a spot on the wall.


“—and the Atkinsons next door adopted a new puppy—you’d love him, they can’t wait for you two to meet!” Mom’s bubbly voice reminds me of sprinkles on cupcakes. I haven’t found a voice like it in my new home.


“That’s great, Mom.”


“So?”


“So…what?”


“So, when are you coming back to visit? We miss you!”


“I’ll—I’ll check with work. It takes a while to earn time off.”


“Such an adult!” She laughs. It’s been a long time since I’ve heard her laugh, and suddenly I’m blinking back tears.


“I have to go. Work stuff. I’ll try to call again next week.”


“Ok! Don’t forget to send us pictures of your new place!”


“Will do. Love you, Mom.”


“Love you more!”


I throw my phone to the bed as soon as I hang up. It bounces off the corner and clatters to the floor, and I promptly burst into tears.


I hate it here.


I hate the smell of cigarette smoke that leaks through the walls no matter how many candles I burn. I hate that my upstairs neighbor stomps around with what sounds like 10-pound weights on his feet. I hate the honking of the cars and the people that bump into me on the street, knocking my tea to the ground.


I know I should be grateful. A million graduates would kill for my job and I worked my ass off in my tiny mountain college to get here. I have a roof over my head and food in the fridge. But there aren’t any bugling elks in my new home. No towering aspen trees. No sweet-smelling pine needles or baby foxes pattering through the yard.


What a stupid, naive girl I was, to think I could belong here. I glare around my apartment as I wipe my tears on the back of my hand.


“Apartment” is a strong word. It’s more like a large closet, with a kitchen in one corner, the bed squeezed into another and the bathroom barely large enough to fit a tiny shower and a toilet that breaks once a month.


At least I have the patio, the only place I can handle spending more than five minutes. I was adamant about finding something at least four floors high, to dull the never-ending buzz of the city streets. I stashed a potted plant in every inch of the patio, leaving just enough room for a reading chair and a table for setting down my coffee mugs.


I walk out to the patio, sink into my reading chair, and close my eyes. I imagine the Atkinsons throwing a frisbee to their new puppy, and Mom laughing as the dog bounds around her feet. It’s evening now; Dad’s probably coming home from work, bearing his famous wide smile from a day spent educating visitors about Rocky Mountain National Park. We spent a week camping there before my departure and it featured all my favorites: Dad’s cooking, hikes to alpine lakes, millions of twinkling stars at night. 


I haven’t seen any stars in my new home.


It’s starting to get colder, and I shiver as a cold breeze ruffles my hair.


There!


I snap my eyes open and stand so quickly I almost knock over my pot full of succulents.


Another breeze rolls through and I concentrate so hard on sniffing that I barely feel the cold.


I’m at our camping spot by Louis Lake, sitting in a camp chair by the fire. Mom sits next to me, reading. Dad’s tending to the coals under the Dutch oven.


“You warm, sweetie?” Mom sets her book down.


I nod fervently, bathing in the warmth of flames in front of us. Mom smiles.


“Dinner’s ready!” calls Dad.


I jump from the chair and run over to Dad, sticking out my paper plate. He laughs and lifts the lid with the Dutch oven hook.


The scent of the lasagna washes over me and I grin as the seven layers of cheese, pasta, tomatoes and spinach fill my nose.


I look around. There, three patios to my left, sits a Dutch oven.


I’m out the door and striding three doors down the hallway before I screech to a halt. What am I doing? The people cooking probably don’t want some stupid mountain girl who floated into a big city on a cloud of too-big dreams. They’ll laugh in my face.


But it smelled so good. It smelled…like home.


I hear a whisper of Mom’s tinkling laugh and whatever resolve I have crumbles into a million pieces. I knock on the door.


“Yes?” A woman answers the door, but I don’t look at her—I’m too busy staring inside the apartment.


“I—you have a tent in your room!” I say. The bed lies on its side, leaning against the wall, to make room for the tent. Small lights hang from around the tent poles.


The woman laughs and I finally look at her. She has hair as white as snow and wrinkles around her eyes. “Yep. We do this on our moving anniversary every year.”


“Moving anniversary?”


“From Montana. Got to get our camping fix.” She winks.


I bite my lip and glance back behind her. There’s the patio, with a man leaning over the Dutch oven.


“Can I help you, dear?” she asks, smiling.


“I’m sorry. I—I just moved here, too. From Colorado, a couple weeks ago.”


“Oh? How are you liking it?”


I stare at her. Maybe she knows all I’m thinking of right now is my Dad’s smile as he tucks me into the sleeping bag, because she sighs.


“It’s a lot,” she says softly.


I nod. “That’s actually why I came over. I smelled...whatever you’re cooking out there. It just reminded me of something my dad used to cook whenever we went camping.”


“Dutch oven lasagna?” she asks.


Those three words are enough to bring tears to my ears, and I clear my throat. “It’s a camping favorite.” 


“Ours, too!” She smiles and steps to the side, gesturing to the man behind her. “Would you care to join us?”


As I dig into the cheesy layers of lasagna and laugh with my new friends under the twinkling lights of the tent, I finally feel at home.







Dedicated to my parents, and my dad's world-famous Dutch oven lasagna.

September 28, 2020 19:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

Molly Leasure
04:54 Sep 29, 2020

Awwww, I struggled so hard when I moved away from my parents for school. Even though we all moved together to SLC, it felt like too much of a city. And I lived on campus, and I HATED it. I wanted my mom's cooking and to go hiking with my dad, every day. Once a small town mountain girl, always one. I'm not sure if this is a fix or not. I've been debating it since I read it, but I feel like there's an extra comma in the sentence: "What a stupid, naive girl I was, to think I could belong here." I'm pretty sure you can just say "...I was to ...

Reply

Lani Lane
23:02 Sep 29, 2020

I totally feel that!! I was lucky because I went to CU Boulder and it didn't really feel like a city at all--it was big, but it still felt at least like a mountain/outdoorsy school, so that was nice. I think you have it right!! I'm going to change it!! Thank you so much for always catching those, I keep making all these little errors and it's so nice when someone catches them!!! Going to read your story now!! :D

Reply

Molly Leasure
23:33 Sep 29, 2020

Right! That's so nice. I considered going to school there, but then I ended up moving haha. My school wasn't the worst, just...too much city! Little errors are the absolute worst to find...so, it often takes a second pair of eyes to skim through and see them!!

Reply

Lani Lane
00:48 Sep 30, 2020

That's totally fair! I think it's always greener on the other side, too. I couldn't wait to get out of CU by my senior year lol!

Reply

Molly Leasure
01:32 Sep 30, 2020

You're so right!!! Haha! Everything seems like it'll get better when it feels bad, even if it's not that bad xD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ray Dyer
00:40 Oct 05, 2020

Having just finished this story, I have to join the others praising this story. I have to say that the two words that came to mind as I read it were, more than once each, "Concise" and "Economy." Those two things are very similar, of course, but I found envious amounts of both here. You've got a gift for saying a lot with just the right words. Every country boy and girl reading this is going to know just what you're saying, and I dare say the culture shock here is vividly accurate. I've got nothing to make this story better, just than...

Reply

Lani Lane
03:47 Oct 05, 2020

Hi Ray! Your comment just made my whole week. I'm so glad you enjoyed it--I haven't quite lived through an experience this tense before, but I did study abroad in a big city. I drew a lot of my feelings in this story from there. Not that fun of an experience after growing up frolicking around the mountains of Colorado! Thank you so much for reading my story. I'll be sure to return the favor as soon as possible! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
22:19 Sep 28, 2020

<removed by user>

Reply

Lani Lane
03:43 Sep 29, 2020

Thank you so much for your compliments and for finding that typo!! You rock!!! This was a bit easier to churn out because I too can relate--I studied abroad in Paris and HATED it, as an outdoorsy person I will never again spend longer than one week in a big city lol. Where do you go to school, if you don't mind me asking? No worries if you're looking to stay more anonymous! I just graduated so was interested. :)

Reply

Unknown User
18:16 Sep 29, 2020

<removed by user>

Reply

Lani Lane
22:47 Sep 29, 2020

I've never been to Chicago! That's cool though. :) I went to CU Boulder! I'll have to check out your new story!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.